No category - how to add one?

Don Awalt
Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
This morning I ran the Spending/Spending by Category report for year to date. I noticed under expenses there was an Uncategorized transaction, which pop up from time to time if I forgot to categorize something. In this case, it was a sale of some shares in a money market fund. I go to the transaction and I don't even see a way to add a category to that, nor does that seem to make sense - and I have not seen that happen before when I have sold money market shares.

How to I resolve this? Thanks! 

Best Answer

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to the Register - and the line for the transaction,
    you should see the Category column - with an entry (or blank)
    and a tiny pulldown arrow next to the column...
    Pick the correct entry....  OR - once on the Category List screen,
    you can ADD a New Category with the click at the very bottom -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you please capture an image of the Edit Transaction dialog of the transaction showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This should show us if the transaction was correctly recorded as a Sell transaction or as some other transaction type, e.g., Income (which it shouldn't be)

BTW, if these MMF transactions are there to record "move idle cash between investing account and MMF account" or "rollover cash" events ...
    my broker doesn't download MMF money move transactions so I don't bother recording those manually. I just add the MMF balance to the investment register's cash balance when reconciling.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    If you go to the Register - and the line for the transaction,
    you should see the Category column - with an entry (or blank)
    and a tiny pulldown arrow next to the column...
    Pick the correct entry....  OR - once on the Category List screen,
    you can ADD a New Category with the click at the very bottom -

@ps56k thanks for the reply. Tis transaction is in an investment, not a bank account, so unless there is a way to add one, there is no category column in the register.

UKR said:

Can you please capture an image of the Edit Transaction dialog of the transaction showing the issue...

This should show us if the transaction was correctly recorded as a Sell transaction or as some other transaction type, e.g., Income (which it shouldn't be)

@UKR here ya go, this is the only transaction that the Spending report said "No category" for, yet I never add a category for these types - in fact they just download (I don't even know how to add a category or whether you can add one)

Thanks!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no Category for a Bought or Sold because there is no income or expense, you are just moving money from one investment to another or cash. The exception is that when selling, there may be a realized gain or loss, which Quicken calculates and tracks for tax purposes in the _RlzdGain category.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is no Category for a Bought or Sold because there is no income or expense, you are just moving money from one investment to another or cash. The exception is that when selling, there may be a realized gain or loss, which Quicken calculates and tracks for tax purposes in the _RlzdGain category.
    Right - so why does this transaction show up under "Uncategorized" in the Spending/Itemized Category report?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:
    Right - so why does this transaction show up under "Uncategorized" in the Spending/Itemized Category report?

Because sell transactions don't have categories.

The report isn't going to make exceptions just because this is an investment transaction.  It's category is "Uncategorized".

BTW if you look at the "See Where Your Money Goes" on the Home tab or look at the Spending tab you will notice that it doesn't show any investment transactions, and as such there isn't any alert for uncategorized investment transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    It might be nice if these were filtered out, but the amount is zero, right?

You can eliminate all the uncategorized transactions by un-checking "Not categorized" on the Categories tab, but that might eliminate some other transactions you want to see in the report.

To fix this, you can leave "Not Categorized" checked and on the Advanced tab, you can select transaction amounts not equal to 0 to eliminate all zero dollar transactions.
    Thanks Jim, that worked to at least eliminate the entry. I do think some sort of bug/problem occurred, as I have a lot of these transactions and they don't show up in the report. It was a sale to the fund's cash account, so in a way it's a zero in a way not. But it's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.