Overcharged for update

JoeyMaggard
JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
Quicken just charged me 30 more for an upgrade than advertised. I was trying to upgrade to Premium for $46.79 on the Black Friday sale. It plainly said existing members would be pro-rated. When I got to the checkout page the price went up to $77.99. I hit the back button to see what happened and my card was charged. Is there anything that I can do to cancel this?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Chat support *is* open on the weekend: 5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT.  Chat support agents should be able to refund your payment.

"Priority access" for Quicken Premier users is simply regular phone support, but you jump to the head of the queue when you call. Phone support is 5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT, Monday through Friday.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:

... (As I understand it, if you let your subscription lapse for 90 days, you'd be eligible for a new customer deal again -- but most people don't want to lose connected services for 3 months!)

Unless something has been changed recently, it has always been a lapse of only 30 days required to be considered a "new" customer.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• jacobs
    @JoeyMaggard  You need to contact Quicken Support. The Support agents can handle issues with subscription payments; no one on this forum (including the Quicken moderators) can help you resolve your issue.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    Here is a screenshot (maybe)
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Tried. No one there on Sunday. I know no one here can issue a refund. Was hoping someone on here could advise. Brings up another question, though. What are the hours for "Priority access to customer support"? Are they posted somewhere?

Edit: NVM I found the hours 5-5 PT M-F, for anyone interested.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Chat support *is* open on the weekend: 5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT.  Chat support agents should be able to refund your payment.

"Priority access" for Quicken Premier users is simply regular phone support, but you jump to the head of the queue when you call. Phone support is 5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT, Monday through Friday.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By your own statement, you were trying to upgrade.  THEREFORE, you're not a new user and the citation by @jrich75 directly pertains to you.  You weren't eligible for the reduced price.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Thanks @jacobs. I contacted chat support and they resolved the issue. Responses like yours are what I like about this community. Thanks also to @jrich75 added some knowledge. I failed to see the dagger because google brought me in halfway down the page. Others apparently just come in here to cast blame. [personal attack removed] Especially since it is the same deal one could get by buying a retail copy this week at OfficeDepotMax.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    Yep. Today, for example, they have premier on sale for the exact same price as I saw in the quicken website. That’s why I thought it was a legit sale. I just thought I could save myself a trip. Live and learn, I guess.
  • jacobs
    Sometimes the copies that are sold by retailers are download versions, where they just email you an activation code. But it may be the Quicken is phasing those out, as I don't see them offered as much anymore. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jacobs said:

... (As I understand it, if you let your subscription lapse for 90 days, you'd be eligible for a new customer deal again -- but most people don't want to lose connected services for 3 months!)

Unless something has been changed recently, it has always been a lapse of only 30 days required to be considered a "new" customer.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Bradster63
    Bradster63 Member ✭✭
    > @JoeyMaggard said:
    > Quicken just charged me 30 more for an upgrade than advertised. I was trying to upgrade to Premium for $46.79 on the Black Friday sale. It plainly said existing members would be pro-rated. When I got to the checkout page the price went up to $77.99. I hit the back button to see what happened and my card was charged. Is there anything that I can do to cancel this?

The exact same thing happened to me. I had Premium in my cart for $46.79. When I entered my Quicken ID and password, the cart was updated to $77.99. My intent was to cancel the order. However, when I hit the back button on my browswer the order was submitted and my credit card charged. I will request a refund.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    You should definitely request a refund. Customer service in the chat was excellent.
  • Bradster63
    Bradster63 Member ✭✭
    > @JoeyMaggard said:
    > You should definitely request a refund. Customer service in the chat was excellent.

I contacted Quicken's refund line at (650) 215-9008. Call was answered immediately, refund was processed and I received a confirmation email all within 2 minutes.

I've placed a separate order from Best Buy with Black Friday pricing and hope that I can stack that on my existing subscription that runs until April 2021.
  • jacobs
    @Bradster63  You can add a new subscription activation code to extend your existing subscription as long as the existing subscription has less than 6 months remaining.
  • Bradster63
    Bradster63 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Bradster63  You can add a new subscription activation code to extend your existing subscription as long as the existing subscription has less than 6 months remaining.

@jacobs My existing subscription is for Quicken Deluxe which expires on 4/21/2020. This is within a six month window for renewal. I've purchased a Quicken Premier subscription as an upgrade that I was planned to activate in April 2021. However, if I activate the Premier upgrade now, how will that effect my current Deluxe subscription? Will it start my Premier now with an expiration a year from now? Or will it "stack" on my current Deluxe end date pushing it to April 2022?
  • jacobs
    Hmmm, I'm not sure what happens now if you try to add a Premier subscription to a current Deluxe subscription. I don't think it automatically upgrades you for the extra half year you have remaining on your Deluxe subscription. As you note, in the worst-case scenario, it might start a separate Premier subscription now, wasting the 6-months you have remaining on your existing Deluxe subscription.

Unless anyone else here knows for certain and chimes in, this would be a good thing to reach out to Quicken Support about.

Or you can just sit on your new activation code until next April before entering it. Just make sure when you get it that the code has an expiration later than April 2021. (Activation codes expire 2 years after they were created, to prevent people from stocking up on sale-price codes to hold onto for years in the future.)
  • Mjasmin
    Mjasmin Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [removed-duplicate - new post]
This discussion has been closed.