Why does the planning tab and current budget report have different totals when using subcategories??

So I have a Utilities category and then several subcategories under it. One subcategory underneath it is called "Telephone". Under "Telephone" I have more subcategories - "Home", "Internet", and "Cell" since they come from different providers. So year to date I have a $0 balances for Internet and Home but a $2.64 surplus in Cell which is accurate. This $2.64 surplus is rolled up into its parent category - "Telephone" which then shows a $2.64 surplus which again is accurate. The problem occurs because the overall category - "Utilities" adds both of these together and shows a $5.28 surplus which is wrong. However, this is only under the Planning tab. If I pull a current budget report it shows the overall category - "Utilities" as a $2.64 surplus which is correct.

Since I usually build my budget and refer daily to the Planning Tab I'd like to get this fixed. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in Quicken?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Doug Mundrick,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Has it always been this way or do you recall when this issue first started? If you don't mind, would you be able to provide a screenshot of the issue you described?

If necessary, please review this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. If you are not given the option to add an attachment, then you can also try dragging and dropping your image to your response.

Please, check back and let us know!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I am using Quicken Deluxe for Windows Version R30.10 Build 27.1.30.10. I've attached two snips. The first shows the top half of the Utilities category. The second shows the bottom of the category. You can see that it overlaps.

If you look at cellular to date balance it shows $2.48. Cellular is a subcategory to Telephone. The telephone to date balance shows the correct figure of $2.48 which adds up Cellular, Internet and Everything Else. Telephone is a subcategory to Utilities. However, the utilities total to date balance is $573.73. It should be $576.21. It has included the $2.48 twice in its total. This issue also occurs with other categories where I have a subcategory to a subcategory.

I can't recall when this started but I think its been a while.
  • Here is another example. In this case there are two subcategories to Food: Restaurants and Other. However, in the to date balance for Food, it only includes the Restaurants in the total and ignores the Other subcategory.

Can you tell me what is going on?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am using Quicken Deluxe for Windows Version R30.10 Build 27.1.30.10. I've attached two snips. The first shows the top half of the Utilities category. The second shows the bottom of the category. You can see that it overlaps.

If you look at cellular to date balance it shows $2.48. Cellular is a subcategory to Telephone. The telephone to date balance shows the correct figure of $2.48 which adds up Cellular, Internet and Everything Else. Telephone is a subcategory to Utilities. However, the utilities total to date balance is $573.73. It should be $576.21. It has included the $2.48 twice in its total. This issue also occurs with other categories where I have a subcategory to a subcategory.

I can't recall when this started but I think its been a while.

The November balance for Utilities is correct: 500 + .40 + 31.18 = 531.58

You have not provided sufficient prior months to check the calculation for the Utilities To Date balance.  

Here is another example. In this case there are two subcategories to Food: Restaurants and Other. However, in the to date balance for Food, it only includes the Restaurants in the total and ignores the Other subcategory.

Can you tell me what is going on?

The November balance for Food is correct: 298.84 - 215.71 = 83.13

You have not provided sufficient prior months to check the calculation for the Food To Date balance.  

This discussion has been closed.