Export Mac 2007 Data to a .QIF readable format (QMTF?)

MFMauceri
MFMauceri Mac Beta Beta
I have a legacy file in Quicken Mac 2007.  I have tried to convert this file numerous times, and it is always rife with data errors.  Until recently, i was able to download a .qif transaction file from my credit card and import it in 2007.

Citibank discontinued .qif format exports last week.  I have been able to set up a single account Quicken Mac 2020 file that reads in the data...  But when exporting it to a "Quicken Mac 2007 Transfer File (QMTF)," quicken Mac 2007 cannot read it?  So it's useless.  Does the QMTF work or is it window dressing?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    QMTF may or may not continue to work. It was a seldom used format only intended for select users using Quicken Essentials, so few users test it these days.

In any case, do your export to QMTF. Make sure the filename is <32 char and change the extension to .qif. (That is all the format really is.) Try importing it like that.

Also, keep in mind that if you have errors with this file going to 202x from 2007, then their might be a problem with that older file.  

Edit: changed the filename to less than 32 char

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020 Answer ✓
    QMTF may or may not continue to work. It was a seldom used format only intended for select users using Quicken Essentials, so few users test it these days.

In any case, do your export to QMTF. Make sure the filename is <32 char and change the extension to .qif. (That is all the format really is.) Try importing it like that.

Also, keep in mind that if you have errors with this file going to 202x from 2007, then their might be a problem with that older file.  

Edit: changed the filename to less than 32 char
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    MFMauceri said:
    I have a legacy file in Quicken Mac 2007.  I have tried to convert this file numerous times, and it is always rife with data errors.
    Since many thousands of Quicken 2007 user have converted to modern Quicken Mac, if your fails, it's likely due to some corruption in your 2007 data file. You've probably already done this, but if you haven't: rebuild your Quicken 2007 account indexes immediately before trying to import into Quicken 2020. You do that by pressing Command-Option-B. It solves some problems; I have no idea if it will solve yours, but it's worth a try.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a troubleshooting measure, consider importing the QMTF file into a new blank QM2007 data file to confirm if it will import correctly.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.