How can I restore online services with Suntrust?

I have recently been unable to connect via Quicken with Suntrust Bank. I read in another thread that Suntrust changed its password requirements in October 2020 to include a special character requirement. When I try to add online services in QW, I am prompted for my Suntrust user ID and password. (These work since I am able to log on via the web.) I am then prompted to change my password at Suntrust since this is my first time connecting via Quicken. This screen requires a password WITHOUT any special characters. When I input a new password without special characters, QW says that it is looking for my accounts at Suntrust and then returns a CC-503 error. Please see the screenshots below.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the screenshot. I also looked back at your first screenshot in your original post to see if it was always like that for you, but it did show one there so that is odd.

I'd like you to try to Refresh Branding & Profile for SunTrust Bank and see if that will get Advanced Options to show. To do so, please, follow the steps below.
    1. Choose the Tools menu > Online Center.
    2. Select the financial institution you want to update from the Financial Institution dropdown menu.
    3. Hold down CTRL+Shift+F3 on your keyboard and click Contact Info at the top of the Online Center.
    4. Select the financial institution you want to update and click Refresh. The branding and profile information will be listed under the current status as "needs updating."
    5. Click OK.
    6. Click Update/Send, enter your Vault Password (if prompted), and complete the update to get the latest branding and profile information for this financial institution.
    Once that is done, check and see if you then see Advance options to be able to choose Express Web Connect.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Hello @Matthew Guerreiro,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

I believe you may be trying to connect via Direct Connect, which requires a different ID and Password than what you use for your online banking login information. Direct Connect IDs and Passwords are provided by SunTrust after signing up on their end to connect Quicken using Direct Connect.

I suggest you try connecting via Express Web Connect instead to see if it will allow you to connect that way instead. To do so, please click on "Advanced Options" on the bottom-left of the sign-in screen to the right of the Cancel button (see below).

On the following screen, choose Express Web Connect and click Next. You will then be taken back to the sign-in screen and should be able to sign in using the same online banking login information you use to sign in on their website.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have recently been unable to connect via Quicken with Suntrust Bank. I read in another thread that Suntrust changed its password requirements in October 2020 to include a special character requirement. When I try to add online services in QW, I am prompted for my Suntrust user ID and password. (These work since I am able to log on via the web.) I am then prompted to change my password at Suntrust since this is my first time connecting via Quicken. This screen requires a password WITHOUT any special characters. When I input a new password without special characters, QW says that it is looking for my accounts at Suntrust and then returns a CC-503 error. Please see the screenshots below.

Are you paying bills through Quicken using SunTrust Bank's Bill Pay?

Are you using Direct Connect or Express Web Connect with your Accounts?

Asking Questions, because I don't wish to give you, wrong information.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Have you gotten any resolution to this issue? I am having similar issues. I noticed that Quicken hadn't downloaded any Suntrust transactions since 11/27/2020 (with no error message in the One Step Update Summary). When I try to "reset" my Suntrust account to see if that helps, Quicken gives me the same popup Matthew posted above (Change Suntrust Password), and it gives me the infinite loop of Suntrust requiring a special character for their password, but Quicken won't accept special characters.

One thing I did notice is that I think the Direct Connect user id is different than the Suntrust user id that is used to access Suntrust's online banking on the Suntrust site.

I am using Direct Connect.

I have seen a couple other recent posts with similar issues, but none of them have resolutions. I already called Suntrust and after they transferred me 4 times, the person in the last department I spoke with said there is nothing they can do on their side and suggested I call Quicken. She also suggested that I could try to deactivate my account and try to reactivate later, however, I imagine that I then would encounter the same issue above when I've tried to reset the account (Change Suntrust Password pop-up...infinite loop).

I guess I'll try to call Quicken support later since not seeing any resolutions on this Help community forum. I don't have energy to do it today after my call to Suntrust and searching through all of these Quicken help posts to no avail. I'm afraid Quicken Support will tell me it's Suntrust and then Suntrust says it's Quicken....hopefully not...
  • Matthew Guerreiro
    Matthew Guerreiro Member ✭✭✭
    Good luck! Let us know what you find out. BTW, I tried deactiving my account and then reactivating. Same infinite loop.
  • Matthew Guerreiro
    TheCreator: I use Express Web Connect with Suntrust.
  • Matthew Guerreiro
    Dear Quicken Ana:

Thanks for your post. When I try to add online services to my Suntrust account, I don't see a button for other options like you highlighted in your post. (See attached screenshot.)

I'm using US QW 2020 R30.14 Build 27.1.30.14
    My WIndows info is:
    Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎7/‎19/‎2020
    OS build 19042.685
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

C:\Users\matth\OneDrive\Documents\Personal\Quicken
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the screenshot. I also looked back at your first screenshot in your original post to see if it was always like that for you, but it did show one there so that is odd.

I'd like you to try to Refresh Branding & Profile for SunTrust Bank and see if that will get Advanced Options to show. To do so, please, follow the steps below.
    1. Choose the Tools menu > Online Center.
    2. Select the financial institution you want to update from the Financial Institution dropdown menu.
    3. Hold down CTRL+Shift+F3 on your keyboard and click Contact Info at the top of the Online Center.
    4. Select the financial institution you want to update and click Refresh. The branding and profile information will be listed under the current status as "needs updating."
    5. Click OK.
    6. Click Update/Send, enter your Vault Password (if prompted), and complete the update to get the latest branding and profile information for this financial institution.
    Once that is done, check and see if you then see Advance options to be able to choose Express Web Connect.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Matthew Guerreiro
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Thank you for the screenshot. I also looked back at your first screenshot in your original post to see if it was always like that for you, but it did show one there so that is odd.
    >
    > I'd like you to try to Refresh Branding & Profile for SunTrust Bank and see if that will get Advanced Options to show. To do so, please, follow the steps below.* Choose the Tools menu > Online Center.
    > * Select the financial institution you want to update from the Financial Institution dropdown menu.
    > * Hold down CTRL+Shift+F3 on your keyboard and click Contact Info at the top of the Online Center.
    > * Select the financial institution you want to update and click Refresh. The branding and profile information will be listed under the current status as "needs updating."
    > * Click OK.
    > * Click Update/Send, enter your Vault Password (if prompted), and complete the update to get the latest branding and profile information for this financial institution.
    >
    > Once that is done, check and see if you then see Advance options to be able to choose Express Web Connect.
    >
    > Let us know how it goes!

Dear Anna:

It worked, more or less. Since I didn't have online access set up, Suntrust didn't appear in the drop down menu in the Online Center. But I was able to set online access in register. Then there was an option for advanced settings and I chose webexpress connect. Voila! It worked. Thanks for you help.
  • Frustrated23
    Frustrated23 Member ✭✭
    I have not been able to download data from Suntrust Bank into Quicken since the October 14, 2020 update of Quicken. This is the same problem many other people have reported. Why is Quicken not able to fix this issues? These suggestions giving silly, non-functional fixes, such as refreshing profiles or typing 0000 and pressing cntrl-shift-update are frustrating.
    Quicken, please fix this error.
  • Frustrated23
    Frustrated23 Member ✭✭
    I have tried both Anja's suggestion, which did not work because Suntrust did not appear in the dropdown menu in the Online Center since online access was not set up. This is the same situation as reported by Mr. Gurreiro. He suggested a work around to the failed guidance but I could not find a method to get to advanced setting within my Suntrust account's register. The problem has not been resolved yet: I cannot download from Suntrust bank.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @Frustrated23,

Thank you for adding to this discussion.

Advanced options is found at the bottom of the sign-in screen when attempting to connect to SunTrust Bank. Please, refer back to my first response on this thread here to review the screenshot and instructions.

Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Hi all - I was able to get this resolved when I called Quicken Support at 650-250-1900. The rep had me do what Quicken Anja suggested on Dec 13 - Deactivate my account, choose Express Web Connect (instead of Direct Connect - I don't pay bills or make transfers directly with Quicken).
  • Sara115
    Sara115 Member ✭✭
    I found an option call Suntrust Webconnect for Mac in the institutions list. That worked when I turned off downloads for the suntrust account and then set them up again.
  • I couldnt use the method of re-branding the online account since i wasnt already online with suntrust.

i went into Tools---Add account

then typed in suntrust,saw suntrust bank, saw advanced options under the suntrust bank logo on the far right. so i clicked on that.

Then it asked how should quicken connect, so i chose express web connect and said next. The next window had a place to sign in which i ignored, but at the bottom it said "advanced options!!!!"

so I clicked advanced options. once again i chose express web connect and said next.

then i signed into quicken with my normal suntrust sign in. that actually got me into a verification code process which finally led to getting signed online to quicken.