Downloading transactions from Financial Institutions

Hotbed
Hotbed Member ✭✭
Hi,

I've recently set up a new Quicken file. I have created all my accounts and set up my connections to the financial institutions.

When I download new transactions I notice that it changes the names of my accounts to what the bank calls them instead of the names I changed them to that are more meaningful to me.

How can I stop this from happening? I am sure there must be a setting for it somewhere but I can not seem to find it and have never had this issue before.

Thanks,

HB

Answers

• Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Idea: Let your bank change the name of your account first and download your transactions. Unlog. Then, edit the name of your accounts. Wait one day or more for other transactions to download and try it. I think it will solve your problem. 
  • Gren9999
    Gren9999 Member ✭✭
    I have two sets (joint and my own) of two accounts (checking and savings) at a credit. At the credit union, I have given each of them unique alias names. When Quicken downloads one set of accounts, it overwrites the other set. I downloaded my own checking and savings accounts first, then I downloaded my joint accounts. Only the joint accounts appear. The credit union names the accounts on their system exactly the same way.

Can Quicken download the alias names so as to keep each of the accounts unique? This may be unique for credit unions - I am not sure.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When I download new transactions I notice that it changes the names of my accounts to what the bank calls them instead of the names I changed them to that are more meaningful to me."
    In all my decades of using Quicken I've never had this happen to me.  Can you report the connection method Quicken is using here?  (Left click Account name in Account Bar > select "Edit/delete account" > click on "Online Services" tab to see method.)
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotbed said:
    Hi,

I've recently set up a new Quicken file. I have created all my accounts and set up my connections to the financial institutions.

When I download new transactions I notice that it changes the names of my accounts to what the bank calls them instead of the names I changed them to that are more meaningful to me.

How can I stop this from happening? I am sure there must be a setting for it somewhere but I can not seem to find it and have never had this issue before.

Thanks,

HB
    Hi @Hotbed ,

You stated the keywords, New Quicken Data File.

The new Quicken File does not know you. Change the name of the Register Account by opening the Register. Click the Top Actions Gear and then click Account Overview.
    Scroll down and click Account Details.or after clicking Actions Gear, click Edit Account Details.

And you even get there, by right-clicking the Register Name in the Account Bar and click Edit/Delete Account.
    Top Field in the General Tab, click on the Account Name. It highlights the entire name. Hit the Delete Key and simply type in the name you want to use for the Register. Click OK.

That's it.

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, are you describing a one-time phenomenon - the first download changed your Account names, or does this happen each and every time you download?

• Hotbed
    Hotbed Member ✭✭
    Hi Tom and thanks for your response.

I'm using Express Web connect for all. I t is not a one time phenomenon either but occurs each time I update. I too am a long-time Quicken user and have never seen this.

I did contact technical support and via screen share. She said she has never seen this behavior before either. Together we essentially backed up my file, used a utility to clean out old bits from previously installed versions then reinstalled again. Also installed the MONDO patch.

The tech had me connect to the financial institutions to update. Everything worked perfectly and we ended the call.

Yesterday I updated as usual doing nothing differently. The behavior is back.

Very frustrating.

HB
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @Hotbed - A long shot idea you might want to try:  Do you have Mobile & Web Sync preference turned on or off?  If it is turned off, turn it on.  Then click on Reset your cloud data and follow the prompts.  Once that is done, you can turn Sync off, again, if you want to.  Try running OSU.  Do you still see this odd account renaming behavior?
    If that didn't work for you, another long shot idea:
    1. Create a new Quicken file (not a copy of your current file).  Name it whatever you want to...TEST would be a good name for it.  You do not need to add any accounts to it.
    2. Then Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > OK.
    3. Then Edit > Preferences > Cloud ID & Cloud Accounts > Cloud accounts associated with this ID (blue font underlined link) > click on the Cloud Account for your main data file > Delete > Yes > Delete > Close > OK.
    4. Close your TEST file and open your main data file.  You might be prompted to log in with your Quicken ID and you will probably see a message informing you that your data file is syncing with your Cloud Account...it's all part of the process in which Quicken will create a new Cloud Account for you.
    5. Check your Mobile & Web Sync preference to make sure it is set to On or Off, the way you want it.
    6. Try running OSU.  Did this odd behavior go away?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• CRBMWGS
    CRBMWGS Member
    I am also having the exact same issue that you described however it isn't for all accounts. I have noticed that it always renames my accounts when I update anything from Capital One and Navy Federal Credit Union. Brand new computer with no previous version of Quicken, new file and all the accounts have just recently been added.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @CRBMWGS

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.