Its now January 2021 and my data is no longer showing in Tax Planner for 2020

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The last 2 years (2020 & 2019) Quicken rolled over to the new year with an up to date Tax Planner.  After significant changes to the tax code late in 2017, they rolled out an updated planner in January 2018. 

So for the past 3 years, Quicken has kept the planner current. Very disappointing that a simple tax table update was not pushed before year end.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the real glitch is that now, at the very beginning of 2021,
    getting ready for taxes,
    and we no longer have a picture of our 2020 data as a reference....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• artg
    artg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning.  I think everyone is making very good points so I don't need to reiterate my specific concerns.  However, what I think should concern all of us is why this discussion needed to take place at all.  In other words, why didn't Q programmers/software engineers see the year 2021 coming?  Just my opinion, but since Q moved to a subscription model turning the calendar over every 1st of January should be easier, not harder.  Again, just my opinion. 
  • JeffG35578
    JeffG35578 Member ✭✭
    It would help if every one went into Quicken and reported this as a problem. The more problem reports they receive in this the more attention it will receive...
  • JohnC
    JohnC Member ✭✭✭
    There is a whole thread about this issue elsewhere in the Quicken Community that should be merged with this one. This issue comes up every year (as far back as I can remember). My data file is 58,000 kb but I don't remember the exact year I started with the DOS version. The Quicken community is a good place to find work arounds but I'm not sure the actual Quicken people pay much attention to it.

The only hope is that the increased revenue from the subscription model (now $77.99 for Premier) will speed up their response. I do have some sympathy for Quicken though accounting software for non accountants is a tough road.
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    the same, tax planner doesn't work for me H&B
    yes, I reported the issue to Quicken and had Support chat.

right after 2021 the tax planner stopped working correctly.
    for 2020 it shows transactions for 2021, instead of 2020 and I can't check for correct transactions, also total values for 2020 are not correct.
    for 2019 total values are 0s, while transactions are shown correctly for 2019. this is started acting so strange from 2021.
    this is big deal for me, whole reason I have paid to Quicken for many years, but it can’t calculate when it’s needed.
    I need to know my estimated payments for Q4 2020.

I've spent time to get all transactions in place, but as result I can't get promised calculations
    I have to go to Excel now to calculate based on YTD for 2020 from the last paystubs and etc documents - MANUALLY

any better ideas?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    JohnC said:
    There is a whole thread about this issue elsewhere in the Quicken Community that should be merged with this one.
    I requested that the topics be Merged - which they now have....
    Also, had updated the topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @mikek753 - Have you tried the workaround suggested above to see your 2020 Tax Planner data?:
    Chris_QPW said:
    @GeoffreyRadbill Just set your system clock back to 12/31/2020 and open Quicken, and you will be able to see the tax planner information.
    It's not the fix that is needed but it at least provides the opportunity to get to the 2020 plan data until there is a real fix.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mikek753 - Have you tried the workaround suggested above to see your 2020 Tax Planner data?:
    Chris_QPW said:
    @GeoffreyRadbill Just set your system clock back to 12/31/2020 and open Quicken, and you will be able to see the tax planner information.
    It's not the fix that is needed but it at least provides the opportunity to get to the 2020 plan data until there is a real fix.
    I doubt there will be any fix.  In other words they will do the same thing they have done countless years.  They will eventually get around to updating the tables for 2021, and as such it will "work"... until next year where it will do it again.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • swalsh8770
    swalsh8770 Member ✭✭
    I too found issues with Tax Planner on Jan 1. What happened in my Quicken was that my tax year 2020 got "reset" to 2021 data! I had to go back in to all the categories and manually reenter all the data. Where I typically put in my own user entered data any way. I always print to pdf so I have a copy at the end of the year since this has happened in previous years as well. Quicken never seems to get this right!!! Frustrated with their updates to Tax Planner again!!!
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I've been using the planner all year and it seemed pretty accurate but now in 2021 it is broke. It's showing Estimated Tax payments projected from year 2021 in tax year 2020.  Other Withholding for taxes is also now looking at 2021 instead of 2020. Not sure what else is hosed but I can't trust it now.
     ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Did you mean "have NOT been added"?
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Did you mean "have NOT been added"?
    I read her message as the tax tablers were added but they aren't showing like they are..in other words...quicken devs were prepared and put the tables in but they are not actually showing..so this would be a bug
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @mikek753 - Have you tried the workaround suggested above to see your 2020 Tax Planner data?:
    > It's not the fix that is needed but it at least provides the opportunity to get to the 2020 plan data until there is a real fix.

hello @Boatnmaniac

this is dangerous workaround, as such system time change might trigger license invalidation for other licensed installed products and would lead to so much time to get appropriate support to re validate those time sensitive licenses.
    How do I know?

on isolated Windows - sure, no risk, otherwise ... you should really know what to do in current online Internet connected license validation time - IMHO.

as I stated - I reported this issue, and it's real problem for me as paid subscription customer.
    Yes, I drafted already what I can in the G - Sheets to do rough calculations

I hope this will be addressed soon via update, and would appreciate Quicken Rep to escalate priority for this issue.

my 2 c
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I reported this on Jan 2, [removed - unhelpful]
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The problem I see is that Quicken is starting to show 2021 period data in the Tax Planner that is currently set for the year 2020. I personally don't want to see the 2021 period when I've got 2020 selected. There's no doubt that Quicken needs to grab data from the 2021 calendar year for the 2020 tax period but that's for the experts to have figured out.
     It's showing projected Estimated Tax payments from year 2021 for the tax year 2020 and won't let me select 2020. What happened to my 2020 estimated payments they've disappeared and now my tax due is higher. "Other Withholding" for taxes is also now looking at 2021 instead of what was paid for 2020. The 2020 "Other Taxes" has disappeared thus effecting Tax Due.
     ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    any updates from Quicken officials for this matter?
    any ETA to get the fix?

what's the way to know if development has worked on the fix?
    yes, I summited the issue, but I didn't get back anything, no number nothing to track.
    how do I know that my report was even accepted?
  • This is the first year I used the planner. I previously suffered though developing my own spreadsheet to perform the function. However, I loved the idea of using the normal Quicken transactions to modify the planner result accordingly. It worked great and gives precise results. Bottom line: Quicken needs to fix this. While issue annoys me greatly, I selected to apply the [scary] solution that was suggested. It actually worked fine. I reset the system date on my computer to 12/31/20, followed by printing the results of the tax planner results. All the needed results were there, as before. After restoring the date, the planner reverted to [the useless] 2021 data again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One word of caution on setting your system date back.  The warning that @mikek753 is certainly real.  All kinds of strange things can happen when you change your system date to so that it isn't the current one.

So I recommend that you spend the least amount of time you can with the date set back, and that you don't do other things like read emails/browse web, ...  Remember anything that gets created while your system date is set back will also be saved with that date.
    Signature:
  • Phildude
    Phildude Member ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    [Removed - Off Topic/Disruprive]
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Phildude said:
    Doesn't anybody moderate this place?
    From a comment above:
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this behavior to the community.  The 2021 tax tables have been added so I have opened a ticket with our Development teams to investigate further.

As soon as any updates and/or a resolution is available we will be back to share and in the meantime recommend "bookmarking" this thread by clicking the yellow star icon in the upper right to automatically receive updates as they become available. 

Thank you,

Sarah

(CTP-1432)

Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phildude said:
    Doesn't anybody moderate this place?
    mostly for "behavior" - you need to Report a Problem to Support...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I agree with @Chris_QPW and @mikek753 's warnings on setting your clock back.  For doing so, I suggest to exit all programs, set the clock back and temporarily disable your Internet access.  Then launch Quicken ...
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I was notified this morning by Quicken during OSU that R30.21 is now available.  The release notes were specific to addressing the Tax Planner issues raised in this thread. 
    After updating to R30.21 I did a quick review of the results and was very pleased to see:
    • My 2020 Tax Plan has been restored.
    • It is now possible to create a 2021 Tax Plan for "2021" instead of "2020". 
    I didn't get a chance to dig deeper, yet, so I can't confirm that the tax tables have been correctly updated but the release notes said this was included in R30.21, as well.
    I noticed the Mondo patch is not yet posted at https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product but hopefully that will show up there very soon.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the R30.21 update has been withdrawn.
This discussion has been closed.