CC-501 error code when adding an Ally Invest Securities account

Quicken Home, Business and Rental Properties version R30.21
Trying to add a new Ally Investment account. I enter Ally Invest Securities username and password, prompts for the method of receiving the security code, receive the security code from Ally, enter it into the prompt box of Quicken and then instead of bringing up the account, it fails with CC501. I have been trying this for about a week with the same result.

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @andyf123

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. I was taking a look to see if I could also was able to get the same error but was not able to. If you wouldn't mind could we try in a test file to see if we're able to also get the same error when trying to add the accounts to quicken. I'll leave steps down below.

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. Once you're able to let us know more we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Created new test3 file with no accounts.
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Trying to add Ally Invest
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Entered credentials, prompts for security code.
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Entered security code and it failed the same way with CC501. No difference. You can try it too.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @andyf123

Thanks for the response and the extra information.  The photos as well are very helpful. In this case I'm wondering here as there might be two different problems. As it sounds like the accounts are part of a brokerage Quicken generally does require accounts for brokerages to be used in direct connect in order for them to download and update the accounts. This is something that might be an issue but I'd like to try something else as well.

I'd like to see if we're able to import the QFX file from Ally invest securities to see if we're able to download the file from their website and try to import it into quicken. This will give us an idea if it gets the same error as well as you're currently getting trying to connect. The article down below will explain how to download and import the account into quicken.

https://www.quicken.com/support/web-connect-troubleshooting

Once you get the chance let us know if you're able to get the web connect file imported. From there we'll see what our next best option is.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Francisco,

Ally carefully hides the Quicken download under Tax Center instead of next to the transaction list. Whoever designed their website didn't have much commen sense and didn't look at other more modern interfaces.
    I was able to download the QFX file and import it into Quicken. That works. Ally's website also says that they don't support Direct download.
    I think it is time for Quicken to reach out directly to Ally Investment and resolve the interface for brokerage accounts (Regular, IRA, Rollover), etc. Please call Ally. IMHO the issue is not at the user end. Thanks,
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Any update?
  • I have the same question
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @JasJasJasJ

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

A "501" error will also require you to contact Quicken support for a review of the log files for a possible escalation to resolve.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    I have been getting this error since I tried to connect to Ally early January, 2021. Have you verified that Ally actually support Quicken download? Otherwise we are wasting time.
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    Dear Tyka,

I contacted support, spent an hour, verified the problem then the agent asked me to do his job and call back Quicken to escalate the problem. This is totally silly, and unreasonable. Why a customer needs to spend time and call back and escalate instead a Quicen agent escalates it within the company. This inefficiency and putting extra and unnecessary burden on the customer is almost unheard of.
    Here is the ticket number and phone number I got: Ticket T1-IN - 8294232, 650-250-1900.
    Please do me a favor. Call them directly. I am a customer, I need a resolution and I am not a mailman between Quicken departments.
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I too have an ally invest account and qfx download works fine, but i've tried periodically over many months but can't get it to express web connect. (Same "it's not your fault"). Same problem into a brand new quicken file on both laptop and desktop computers (win10). If anyone has suggestions or I can help troubleshoot, let me know, I'd be glad to help!

==== OSU Start (20210201/12:14:28) ====
    20210201 12:14:29: Starting Connection ------------------------------------------
    20210201 12:14:29: Initiate Complete   ---- [Authenticating with server]
    20210201 12:14:30: Translating Error Codes  [Authenticating with server]: gSOAP/CCC/WININET : [0] --TO--> IC Error: [0]
    20210201 12:14:30: CC Request Complete ---- [Authenticating with server]: Status/Error Code : 0
    20210201 12:14:30: Starting Connection ------------------------------------------
    20210201 12:14:30: Initiate Complete   ---- [Getting financial institution information]
    20210201 12:14:30: Translating Error Codes  [Getting financial institution information]: gSOAP/CCC/WININET : [0] --TO--> IC Error: [0]
    20210201 12:14:30: CC Request Complete ---- [Getting financial institution information]: Status/Error Code : 0
    20210201 12:14:30: Starting Connection ------------------------------------------
    20210201 12:14:30: Initiate Complete   ---- [CCLogoutRequest]
    20210201 12:14:31: Translating Error Codes  [CCLogoutRequest]: gSOAP/CCC/WININET : [0] --TO--> IC Error: [0]
    20210201 12:14:31: CC Request Complete ---- [CCLogoutRequest]: Status/Error Code : 0
    20210201 12:14:31: Mapping Error Codes ---- [Getting account status for Ally Invest xxxx]: IC error : 0, EBStatus: 0

==== OSU End (20210201/12:14:33) ====

Content:

<!-- ***** RECV from https://services.quicken.com/institution-logins/258994051148625921/poll at 12:15:03 on 20210201 ***** -->
    {"institutionLoginId":"258994051148625921","mode":"DISCOVER_AND_ADD_ACCOUNTS","status":"AGGREGATION_IN_PROGRESS","aggregators":[{"aggStatus":"DISCOVER_AND_ADD_ACCOUNTS_REQUESTED","isProcessing":true}],"isProcessing":true}

<!-- ***** SEND to https://services.quicken.com/institution-logins/258994051148625921/poll at 12:15:05 on 20210201 ***** -->
    Header:
    [Content-Type] : application/json
    [Authorization] : Bearer eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImprdSI6Imh0dHBzOi8vbG9jYWxob3N0OjgwODAvdWFhL3Rva2VuX2tleXMiLCJraWQiOiJrZXktaWQtMSIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.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.DwpwMdApRVV5XGbw6SZHo4dl6xeYuno18vusSHc7izXRG8isyMouPpVgwKyJL_7ipqruoe-oMU-pZoPt0vwddAwDWBKACmj6GnUPC9iRCrzNjQ_Rmozn99Ry8EToUeWym-Jff-FSzfwqAfKbp0yaXZ0q42g0wvf9jCk1N1yzEk3O_xKxRJe_Nh3OSoj2Kr4ymr264Od1Ive1OmTVv9chzZu1fhObrViqC4Qtw3Gn5GGE9-sCOEjGbp3-F5fsH5bWGnEIBvGacat3bvqUY4fVjCyP9Ib7tF2bR2L4cUdvhJxbfUcnYRa2n33gTMyY8ItJ2VA_fS2Qn0eM8R9KRJGw4w
    [qcs-dataset-id] : 255543654964018944
    [app-build] : 27.1.31.8
    [app-version] : 27.1.31
    [app-client-id] : quicken_windows

wags Glad to be here!

• andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    [Removed-Speculation/Disruptive]
  • andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    I escalated, as asked to do, and agent on the phone informed me that the Ally connection issue was a known issue and he didn't know why it wasn't posted publicly. He said that he would escalate it to make this info public. He had no information on when this would be resolved.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @andyf123,

Our teams did recently open an escalation ticket with our service provider regarding the issue with Ally. While the investigation remains ongoing, we have posted an alert here in the Community for it which you can refer to for updates as they become available. Please, click here to be redirected to the alert.

Additionally, if you wish to contribute your log files to this investigation, then please navigate to Help > Report a Problem or contact Quicken Support directly to have our support agents assist you in collecting your log files. 

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• studpup
    Reported a problem as requested, eager to help test if anyone has ideas/workarounds. Just wanted to clarify this is Ally Invest Securities, not Ally Bank (they use the same website, but are listed separately in FIDIR.txt). Currently using web connect, tried to improve to EWC, successfully enter password then security code via SMS, but then fails with this:

I've tried to connect periodically since I opened the account February 2020. Thanks everyone!

wags Glad to be here!

• studpup
    Quicken_Tyka posted that this has been resolved, but I just tried again and received the same error.
     https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20154936#Comment_20154936

wags Glad to be here!

• andyf123
    andyf123 Member ✭✭
    The issue with Ally Bank was perhaps resolved, but not with Ally Investment
  • studpup
    edited March 2021
    It looks like ally invest now only supports "web connect", though it appears from other articles on quicken community they previously they did support one step update.

07496 07496 07496 Ally Invest Securities https://www.ally.com/ 1-877-247-2559 https://secure.ally.com/ ACTIVE INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

You can log into their website and download data manually, and I confirm this works. The manual download option is under tax center:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7868768/i-am-trying-to-add-an-ally-invest-brokerage-account

Confusingly, Quicken today still shows it can "improve connection", but it doesn't work for me, I've been trying intermittently for about a year.

If anyone has it working, I welcome your advice!

wags Glad to be here!

• Well, SIX MONTHS have passed, and still no solution to this vexing Ally INVEST issue. I too got today the exact same:

"Oops!... We're having a problem. CC-501"

displayed above and can't get automatic downloads set up.

That was plenty of time to find a fix. Why the lack of focus on this issue??
  • studpup
    It's not a supported institution for automatic downloads.  You can go into the ally website and click download (web connect), so there's nothing to fix, it's not supposed to be working. Sorry about your frustration!

wags Glad to be here!

• Mitchell Vardeman
    Mitchell Vardeman Member ✭✭✭
    I attempted, like a big dummy, to set up my Ally Invest Accounts for download. Not only did that not work, but it also broke the download setup for my Ally Bank Accounts and changed data in those accounts. As usual, two and a half hours on the phone with support only to have them agree that what I said happened did happen and that it should not do that, and SHOCKER, they wanted to know if I had a backup. I'm a software engineer and I've worked with financial software for over twenty years. The very last option for support should be recommending a restore of a backup, not the first option. I am baffled that these types of defects continue to appear in software that people use to track their financial information. The application should NEVER change a reconciled opening balance transaction. What is even more maddening is seeing that Quicken is using its development resources to add new features when core components of the application are defective. I think that after close to 30 years of using quicken, it is time for me to start using spreadsheets -- may lack some capabilities, but at least I can count on the data and won't spend hours reentering data when I have to restore a backup.
This discussion has been closed.