Export of "Activity since last statement" from Sam's Club World MasterCard site gives error

Hi. For several weeks now, export of "Activity since last statement" to Quicken has generated an error (see attached image). The Sam's Club World MasterCard is issued by Synchrony Bank. The website is https://samsclub.syf.com/.

Export of other periods works fine. And this used to work.

I chatted with an agent on the Sam's Club World Mastercard site; they said they were having trouble with Quicken.
Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synchrony is generating a web connect .QFX file that has an "R" in the DTSTART and DTEND record.
    if you change the "R" to a date, see other dates in the file for the proper format and make the DTSTART earlier than the earliest date of the download transactions and the DTEND later than the latest date of the downloaded transactions.
    The dates don't have to be exact, just earlier and later than the range of the download.
    Once you have edited the file, you can either double-click on it to trigger Quicken to import it or do a File->Import File->Web Connect

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    Splasher - I searched my computer for .QFX files and the only one I could find was JPMC.QFX, and it's dated 2016. Where should I look for these files?
  • Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    NotaCPA - that info was not helpful.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bert Onstott  After you have downloaded them from the FI's website, they are normally in the Download folder, but that depends on how you have setup your browser settings.

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    My browser downloads to the downloads folder. There is only one .QFX files there: JPMC.QFX. It's some sort of Quicken configuration file.

There are NO other files with the QFX extension on the PC. (Used Agent Ransack to check).

So it seems either Quicken is deleting the files after downloading them, or the transactions are coming across via some other mechanism.
  • Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    I just did a One Step Update while watching the Downloads folder. No files were created there.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The .QFX files are only generated and put into the Download folder if you are doing Web Connect .QFX file downloads from the FI's website, this does not happen with One Step Update (OSU).

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotaCPA - that info was not helpful.

Your attached graphic shows an OL-221-A and OL-221-B error.  I pointed you to the support article on dealing with those errors.  Did you read the article?

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    I did. The only part that seemed to apply was this:
    "Web Connect (Importing a QFX file from your bank's website) - Receiving this error when downloading a QFX file directly from your bank's website indicates an issue with the file itself. You will need to contact your bank to resolve this issue."

I've tried escalating; nobody at Synchrony Bank will admit it's their issue. They blame Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st, Bank's lie.  They always try to blame Q, even when we've PROVEN that it's the bank's error.
    2nd, did you read all the way down?  To where it says "If the issue persists"?
    This forum is other users ... and NOT Q Support.

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭
    Slasher - thanks - I did not know it was different for One Step Update.

I did a transaction download for the last statement from the Synchrony website; it does indeed download a file named Transactions.qfx. It was not there previously; perhaps Quicken cleans it up.

The DTSTART/DTEND lines in that file looks like this:
    <DTSTART>20210120
    <DTEND>20210120

I can't download transactions since the last statement as there are none at this time. Perhaps I need to wait until there are some to reproduce the error.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    A few \ notes.

The OL-221-A error is given in two cases.
    1. Quicken tried to connect to the financial institution using the information it has and got an error.
    2. The information provided has a syntax error in it.
    3. On most sites you can change the date range for the exporting of transactions so you might be able to download some transactions.
    4. If the QFX file actually has a syntax error in it, then importing even if these transactions have been imported before should produce the same error.
    5. Syntax errors are reported in the Connection log and might give more hints of exactly what Quicken didn't like: Help -> Log Files -> Connection Log...
    6. If the connection type is Direct Connect what is in the QFX file should be the same as "response" part of the Direct Connect conversation.  And as such most of the above applies, except you look in the OFX Log for the same information that the QFX file has.  I say "should be" because it is possible for the financial institution to generate the two differently.
    7. When it comes to Express Web Connect it gets much more murky.   The financial institution might still be providing the information to the Intuit servers in the QFX format or they might not and the Intuit servers convert it to a format that Quicken can understand.  Note that Quicken Inc pays Intuit for this service.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.