Updates pushed without asking?

ruledbycats1
ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
Has anyone else noticed that you get pushed updates (like the 31.8 and 31.5 updates) when you open Quicken? I am not asked if I want to install it, and I'm not given an opportunity to backup my files. The update just loads up prior to Quicken starting and I'm stuck with it. Why is Quicken pushing updates without first notifying users, and without allowing us to do the recommended One Step update or backups prior to installing the update?

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"ruledbycats1

You do have a gripe, but be lucky that you are getting patched. Many Users, who check for Updates, aren't getting updates and are stuck on R30.21.

Get into the habit of performing a Manual Backup, prior to closing Quicken and after making changes to the Quicken Registers.

The purpose of a Subscription Product was to get everyone on the same Release.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Folks, the point is that this feature use to work, but now we're being pushed updates without being asked. Band-aid solutions like changing UAC settings or manual updates are not the answer. Quicken needs to fix these problems not only pushing updates without agreement, but also people not getting updates.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Folks, the point is that this feature use to work, but now we're being pushed updates without being asked.
    They have been pushing updates at startup without asking for many years now.  There have been numerous complaints about it over the years, but they have never changed it.  Using UAC is your only "defense".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW, this is the first time I've seen this behavior and I've been using Quicken since the 1990s! Bottom line, we should have a choice regarding when we install updates, and be allowed to follow Quicken's recommended procedures.
  • thecreator

Quicken only pushes Updates, if you fail to Check for Updates, manually. Or you failed to open Quicken within 3 weeks or longer.

• ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Hi thecreator,
    I guess that makes sense but I check Quicken daily so it sure hadn't been 3 weeks since I last opened the software. Wonder why it's selectively pushing updates in less than 3 weeks then?
  • thecreator

I guess it depends on how critical the Update is.

After the Update gets installed, you could go Help > Release Notes. To read what was fixed or changed.

• ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    thecreator, nope, I get no release notes and nothing beyond seeing the patch install. I agree getting, at least, a release note explaining why this update was pushed "should" happen. These updates are not marked as critical when I go back to the Quicken website to look up the release notes (if they are available). A lot of things should be happening, but aren't. I just wish someone from Quicken would acknowledge the problem.
  • thecreator

If you aren't seeing the screenshot, I combined by doing About Quicken separatedly, then use this procedure to reinstall Quicken:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions 

Quicken does need a lot of programming help. Quicken has not updated the Year or the Copyrighted Date.

• ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the screen shot. I have checked in the past after the two times updates were pushed and the release notes were not available for that new release yet. Seems it takes Quicken a few days to get them available. Strange when they push the update not to have the release notes ready.

I guess no one from Quicken is going to answer this one.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ruledbycats1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

I have checked in the past after the two times updates were pushed and the release notes were not available for that new release yet. Seems it takes Quicken a few days to get them available. 
    I just wanted to quickly reference this support article for you, where you can check for release notes as well if you are unable to see the release notes from within the Quicken program.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja, thanks for the response. I'm well aware of that support article. Can you answer my original question?
  • ruledbycats1
    ruledbycats1 Member ✭✭✭
    Wow more than a year later and still answer to my question....and it happened again today.
This discussion has been closed.