Target Credit Card Issue - Multiple Cards for Same Account

Starting in 2021, I noticed that only certain transactions had imported for our Target Credit Card account. I used the "Reset Account" feature in the hopes of fixing it. However, it wanted to set up a separate account for each of the 3 cards we have (Me, Wife, Daughter).

These 3 cards are all part of 1 account and have imported successfully for 5+ years. This issues appears to have started in 2021.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @bmackey55

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is interesting I'm wondering what exactly is causing this. If you wouldn't mind could we see in a test file if we're having the same issue as well. Generally I believe you're supposed to download the primary account rather than individual cards so in that test if you're still having 3 individual accounts try to just download the primary one and let us know what you see. I'll leave steps down below.

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.
    After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. Once you're able to get the information let us know and we'll take another look.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Thanks @Quicken Francisco ,

I followed your instructions with some interesting results:
    1 - Import completed successfully
    2 - Three separate accounts created with the last four digits of each card
    3 - All transactions download to each of the 3 accounts leaving all 3 with the same balance

Note - I have edited the images to remove all but the final digit of each card for security purposes.

What next?

Brian
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you get 1 statement from Target,  or 3?
    Do you make 1 payment to Target, or 3?
    I suspect that the answer to  both questions is 1 ... and thus this should be set up in Q as a single account.  Q should always mirror the real world.
    If you want to monitor "who charged what", try using TAGS when you record the transactions in Q.
    BTW, I have a similar situation.  My wife and I have different card numbers  for our single AAdvantage credit card account issued by Barclaybank.  It's set up in Q as a single account, and all transactions on that card download into the single Q account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    @NotACPA ,

It is set up as 1 account with 1 statement and has been for nearly 10 years. This issue only started at the beginning of 2021.

FYI - I have another credit card account (CapitalOne) where each family member has a different card number and that account is still working correctly.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like Target, or more precisely their bank, changed something. Because nothing has changed re: my AAdvantage card account.
    And the fact that 3 accounts, all with the same balance, are showing suggests that each of the 3 cards is downloading the transactions for all 3 (i.e., for the entire account).
    I which case I'd take a backup and then simply delete 2 of the accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Francisco

I repeated the steps above today and Quicken still wants to set up 3 separate accounts, one for each family member's card, even though it is 1 account.

Has Target and/or Quicken acknowledged they have a problem?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @bmackey55,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you still have all 3 of the Quicken accounts added to Quicken and all 3 accounts download all transactions from all 3 cards accurately, you can delete the 2 authorized user cards that were added as separate accounts to Quicken and keep the account for the primary card as previously suggested by NotACPA as all 3 accounts are technically duplicates of each other.

Additionally, as for adding the account, after going through the financial institution sign-in process, when the screen showing the list of accounts comes up, you can click on the dropdown menu saying Add to Quicken under the action column and select Don't add to Quicken for the 2 authorized user cards so it only adds an account for the primary card (see below).

In doing so, going forward from there, it will only add the account that has Add to Quicken selected and should still download transactions for all 3 cards into the account that was added for the primary card as well as no longer prompt you to add the other 2 authorized user cards as separate accounts in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Thanks, I disabled and re-enabled my connection and then did what you said. I linked one of the 3 to my account and selected "Don't add to Quicken" for the other 2.

Everything seems to be working now. I have updated several times without issue.

Thanks again,
    Brian
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @bmackey55 Awesome news and you're welcome!

Thank you for the update, I'm glad to hear all is well now. :)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.