Downloaded Transactions are entering things into the memo field. How do I stop this?

Just recently when I've downloaded transactions information has been added to the Memo Field, overlaying information already there. How do I stop this?

Ted

Answers

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    In which register @Ted S.? Investment register or Banking ? Often things are added in the investment registers - but they are more complex..
  • Ted S.
    Ted S. Member ✭✭
    Banking.

I download a .qfx file from my back which starts Quicken and puts the transactions into the "Downloaded Transactions" area. And when I accept transactions to Clear them, Quicken is adding information into the memo field. This started after the last update.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
  • Ted S.
    Ted S. Member ✭✭
    Year: 2020
    Version: R31.12
    Build: 27.1.31.12
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Ted S.

Thank you for the response and the additional details. May I ask the name of this financial institution? This may help others locate this post if they are also experiencing this trouble.

If you have not done so already, have you taken a look at the QFX file using Notepad? I would suspect that the file contains information in the memo field that is then being added to Quicken.

Please let us know what you find.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF, as @Quicken_Tyka is asking, and I also suspect, the info in the Memo field is being downloaded from your bank, then there's really not much that Q can do about the matter.
    You REALLY don't want Q mucking around with data downloaded from your bank.
    What sort of info is being placed in the Memo field, and how many characters are in the PAYEE field?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    IF, as @Quicken_Tyka is asking, and I also suspect, the info in the Memo field is being downloaded from your bank, then there's really not much that Q can do about the matter.
    You REALLY don't want Q mucking around with data downloaded from your bank.
    What sort of info is being placed in the Memo field, and how many characters are in the PAYEE field?
    The information present in the memo field of a matched transaction is not supposed to be overwritten.  The issue does not reproduce in R31.8.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock in the OP, the wording was "added to the Memo field".  This wording was repeated in the reply of 2/5.
    Why do you believe that the downloaded info is overwriting prior memo field content.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    @Sherlock in the OP, the wording was "added to the Memo field".  This wording was repeated in the reply of 2/5.
    Why do you believe that the downloaded info is overwriting prior memo field content.

I suggest you read the original post again (emphasis added):
    Ted S. said:
    Just recently when I've downloaded transactions information has been added to the Memo Field, overlaying information already there. How do I stop this?

Ted

• Ted S.
    Ted S. Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > The information present in the memo field of a matched transaction is not supposed to be overwritten.  The issue does not reproduce in R31.8.

If this doesn't happen in R31.8. It sounds like Quicken has something to fix.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ted S. said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > The information present in the memo field of a matched transaction is not supposed to be overwritten.  The issue does not reproduce in R31.8.

If this doesn't happen in R31.8. It sounds like Quicken has something to fix.
    I haven't upgraded to R31.12 (yet) but, if Quicken is overwriting our memo entries when we accept imported transactions, I would say it is a bug.  I suggest you rollback to R31.8.
  • Ted S.
    Ted S. Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I haven't upgraded to R31.12 (yet) but, if Quicken is overwriting our memo entries when we accept imported transactions, I would say it is a bug.  I suggest you rollback to R31.8.

How do I do that?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    for what it is worth I'm on R31.12 and I'm not seeing this.
    Before:

After:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ted S.
    Ted S. Member ✭✭
    That's a little disconcerting.

Is there some kind of setup that says what to do with the Memo Field on Downloaded Transactions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ted S. said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I haven't upgraded to R31.12 (yet) but, if Quicken is overwriting our memo entries when we accept imported transactions, I would say it is a bug.  I suggest you rollback to R31.8.

How do I do that?
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ted S. said:
    That's a little disconcerting.

Is there some kind of setup that says what to do with the Memo Field on Downloaded Transactions?
    No.  There is no setup option.  As I said before: The information present in the memo field of a matched transaction is not supposed to be overwritten.  If there is no information present in the memo field of the matched transaction, the memo field is replaced with the information from the memorized payee or imported transaction.
This discussion has been closed.