One Step Update gets stuck in loop

JMHaro
JMHaro Member ✭✭
Yesterday my Quicken asked to add two of my accounts back to automatic updates (which it dropped in the past when it could no longer connect automatically), so I let it and it appeared to connect to my bank and see the associated accounts which I linked to the correct accounts. It then got stuck in the "Accounts for Mobile & Web" screen showing "Updating accounts". I let it sit there for over an hour and it never got out of it so I finally had to kill the app. Tonight I tried to do the One Step Update (the new added accounts didn't show up) but now it's stuck with the One Step Update just keeps cycling which refreshes most of the screen during each loop. This is really being a pain.

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @JMHaro

Thanks for the update. I wonder if we might be having issues you're having may be related to the cloud sync. I would attempt to double check if you may have it enabled. You can do this by going across the top to edit > preferences > mobile and web > Sync off

Once you've taken a look see if you're able to get it to perform the One step update to update without having the program freeze. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Same issue multiple times tonight.  I can't get my Quicken to download from my bank and synch to the web.  I've deleted and reentered my online credentials for my bank multiple times tonight and a couple times tonight I've had synch get caught in a loop spinning and eventually just had to close the program.  I seem to get one or the other to work, but not both in addition to the endless synch problem..      
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    Hello @JMHaro & @Just Me and Not Someone Else,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JMHaro
    JMHaro Member ✭✭
    It's Version R31.12, Build 27.1.31.12
    Windows 10.

I did the steps but then tried the One Step Update after I restarted Quicken and it's stuck in the loop of it continually cycling the button status. Did this for over 30 mins so finally had to kill the app again since it won't even let me do a normal exit (Keeps saying a One Step Update is in progress....)
  • Quicken Francisco
    Answer ✓
    Hello @JMHaro

Thanks for the update. I wonder if we might be having issues you're having may be related to the cloud sync. I would attempt to double check if you may have it enabled. You can do this by going across the top to edit > preferences > mobile and web > Sync off

Once you've taken a look see if you're able to get it to perform the One step update to update without having the program freeze. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • JMHaro
    JMHaro Member ✭✭
    Thank you, that seemed to clear up the problem. Turning Sync off, it did the update without any problem. And since I saw the "Reset your Cloud data" on that tab, I went back and turned the Sync back on and then did the Reset. After that shut down and restarted Quicken, did another update (took a little longer saying it was updating the new cloud server) but it did complete and looks stable now.

Thank you.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @JMHaro

Glad to hear that worked for you! If you do run into any other issues please let us know so that we're able to take another look!

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • Wayne Holmes
    Wayne Holmes Member ✭✭
    I added one account to existing bank (already had accounts) first it added auto entry to prior account. Then it took turning off those transactions to clear. Now I'm back to the same problem as everyone on this string. I update and it gets stuck in endless loop. I kill the process. VALIDATE the file go back it...looks fine but when it gets to the 5th 3rd part it hangs up again and won't let me out without killing the process...I'm about to dump the file and load yesterday's back up but this is absurd. Why would adding one savings account trash the whole file and validate not fix it?
  • pat073
    pat073 Member
    edited May 2021
    Keep having to ctrl alt dlt just to stop update & go into Quicken!! [Removed - Profanity] never had issue until last update!
  • Dave474
    Dave474 Member ✭✭
    I am also having this issue, as of today. It wasn't downloading transactions of one of my accounts, yet the balance matched the actual balance. No idea how it did that as two of the transactions were not showing anywhere in Quicken. So I deactivated and reactivated download, now I cannot get out of one step update without killing the program. I hope you solve this problem soon. Makes the program sort of useless after more than 20 years using it.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Dave474

Thank you for the response and the additional details. 

I would recommend signing out and signing back into the Quicken program. To do this, please follow the steps below.  

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts  

2. Click sign in as a different user  

3. Type "yes" to sign out  

4. Sign back in using your existing Quicken ID  

Once this has been completed, please attempt to update once more and let us know the results.  

-Quicken Tyka  

~~~***~~~
  • bobby2175
    bobby2175 Member
    I'm having the exact same issue after the latest update. I tried signing out and signing back in and it does not help. Need a solution to this as this makes quicken pretty much useless.
  • twarner1
    twarner1 Member ✭✭✭
    My Quicken stated doing this loop as well right after I deactivated and re-setup my Investors Bank account that I was having trouble with.  After killing Quicken with task manager and re-opening, I updated all accounts EXCEPT investors bank.  After a successful update, I updated all accounts and everything is back to normal (for now).  You might try to update one account at a time and use the process of elimination to find a problem account.
  • jmadura2
    jmadura2 Member ✭✭✭
    One step update stuck on processing data for ally bank, american experss bank, commenity bank, Capitol one 360 bank, CHase and Citicards. PLEASe resolve and advise/ All was fine before latest update ....
  • THenry
    THenry Member
    I have having the same trouble as Jmadura2. Ally bank stuck in loop. I have followed all recommendations above and none have corrected the issue
  • Julie63
    Julie63 Member
    Running Quicken Home Business & Rental Property R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24
    Having the same problem since the last update - these suggestions do not correct the problem. Quicken really is useless without this, and I've also used this program for about 20 years. This needs to be corrected!
  • stan2u
    stan2u Member
    Running Quicken Home Business & Rental Property R34.24 Build 27.134.24
    One step update pops up Add Account for Bank of America after it has already updated Bank of America. I would cancel it each time to get through updating the rest of my accounts. I deleted Quicken and reinstalled it. It was popping up over 25 times. Now after deleting Quicken & reinstalling it only popping up 6 times. It's been screwed up over 2 years now. What a pain!
This discussion has been closed.