Quicken Created a duplicate transaction with a date of 1/1/1900 when Transferring Shares

Daffy Duck
Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
I opened a new account and had some shares of a security transfer from an existing account. The download from the brokerage went fine in both accounts - but there was no linkage. So I experimented by replacing "Remove Shares" from the source account by changing it to Transfer Shares. When I went to reconcile the month results I had twice as many shares as I should in the new account.

In the portfolio view I could see that there were 2 sources of the stock - one which was apparently created using the transfer shares function which showed as add shares as it was originally posted but also reflected an investment amount - which I assume it picked up from the source account.

But the problem is that the portfolio showed an additional entry for the same number of shares in the target account with a date of 1/1/1900. That entry does not show up in the register.

I can't see a correct way to fix it. What I did was eliminate the new entries that were created by the Transfer Function and leave the 1/1/1900 entries in the portfolio. This gets the bottom line corrected, but is really not a good solution.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    [Removed-Windows Reply]

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    This inquiry is showing as Answered on my screen, but it clearly is not. The answer provided was for Windows and was withdrawn.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Daffy Duck I unfortunately can't help with your issue, but I can explain the issue of "Answered". The forum software that Quicken uses for this site changes the status of a thread to "Answered" whenever anyone posts a reply. It's the opposite of "Unanswered", which are threads with no replies. "Answered" doesn't mean the posted question or problem was resolved, only that someone replied. Once a post resolves the issue, the original poster can click Yes next to the "Did this answer the question?" link under every post, and that changes the thread label to a green "Accepted Answer".
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Daffy Duck,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this and for previously (and mistakenly) providing a Windows answer.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the portfolio entry that is dated 1/1/1900? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. 

Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you're not given the option to add them as an attachment.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    I am running Quicken (for Mac) 6.1.

I am attaching an image of the 1/1/1900 date. I think I shed a little more light on it, as I have played with one of my backups to recreate the problem.

This is how I got to the point you see:
    I had just opened a new account and the securities had been moved to the new account.

Quicken had downloaded these transactions as add shares in the new account and remove shares in the old account. And of course the cost basis with these shares did not transfer.

So being very clever, I noted that Qucken had a Transfer Shares function, so I opened the transactions for the 2 securities in the old (source) account and changed the transaction type to Transfer Shares and I had to enter the target (new) account. - So far no problem. But when I completed this step I noted that the transactions were still showing as Add Shares and Remove Shares. So I thought nothing had really happened - I did not notice that a reference to the transfer had been added to the entry or that the new account now had a cost basis for those shares.

(I was expecting 2 things to happen - one I expected the “Description/ Category” column to show Transfer: X shares: Target Account and I expected that I would get a message that it found a matching entry in the other account - basically I expected it to behave like a cash transfer between accounts)

So seeing nothing had happened I repeated the process.

Then I looked at the portfolio and had to many shares in the new account - apparently it transferred a couple of times.

So I used the Edit>Undo command.

I am not certain when I saw the 1/1/1900 dated transactions (which do not appear in the register) but after playing around this afternoon, I think they were created when I hit the Undo command - and Quicken was unable to restore the transactions.
  • Daffy Duck
    Daffy Duck Member ✭✭✭
    When I look at the register the original detail is still there - the 1/1/1990 item showing up in the portfolio is not reflected in the register.
This discussion has been closed.