Match Manually Not Working For Some Transactions / USAA Bank

I've already dealt with the updated logon issues with USAA and I've successfully reconnected all my accounts.

I've also had several instances of the "reversed" downloads where a payment is listed as a credit or a credit as a payment. I've manually corrected those and haven't seen that issue in a while.

However, I am having this issue every time I download transactions.

I start with a transaction entered into the register that I personally input. Say I've made an online purchase, I create a transaction in the register to know my running balance.

Several days later said transaction clears USAA Bank and when I download transactions it shows on the list. However, when I get to said transaction in the download list, it doesn't see the transaction I've already entered and creates a new transaction.

Then if I select the "Match Manually" feature, it opens the dialog box, but the specific transaction I want to match does not appear in the list. And the list itself includes a whole bunch of old transactions that have already long since been cleared, plus a few new transactions I do have pending. But the specific transaction is just not in the list.

I can go to the transaction in the register that I created and right-click and choose Match Manually and it too opens the appropriate dialog box, but it will show no transactions to match at all.

There is a severe disconnect between the register and the downloaded transactions.

A specific example...

On Saturday (2/20/21) I made an ATM withdrawal for $40 from USAA Checking. I put this entry into Quicken when I got home that afternoon.

Today (2/23/21) I downloaded transactions from USAA (and other accounts) using the "One Step Update" feature.

Quicken downloaded the transactions and I had a list of about 7 or 8 items to match. All of them matched except the ATM transaction. When I clicked it, a new transaction showed at the bottom of the register. I then clicked the gear icon next to the downloaded transaction and tried to manually match the downloaded to the existing entry I made on Saturday.

But the transaction I entered on Saturday simply doesn't show up as an option in the Match Manually dialog. I then exit this dialog and go to the register and right-click the existing entry and choose Match Manually there. That opens the dialog box but there's nothing in it at all.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @RangerDoc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    7. Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu
    8. Select File Operations
    9. Validate and Repair...
    10. Select Validate file
    11. Click OK
    12. Close the Data Log
    13. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    14. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate the copied file by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 9) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    I am also seeing this issue, and it's coming from USAA - it's not local file corruption. Here's another example:
    I entered a scheduled TXFR a few days before it was to occur. USAA created a new register entry with a "0" in the Check# field, with the correct category (the recipient account for the TXFR), and the correct amount. It should have instead simply matched up with the entry already in there.
    This is the first time that a "0" was in the Check# field. That's strange. Please reach out to USAA and review their configuration.
  • RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    None of the Super Validate procedures fixed anything. And I’m using the latest version of Windows subscription. I always use Download All so that I get Quicken updates along with banking updates.

I see that another user who responded here is having the same problem.

This seems to be a Quicken/USAA coordination issue, not a local issue.
  • laboliek
    laboliek Member
    None of my accounts are updating. I update weekly and today it says it is updating, but no transactions get downloaded.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    My spouse also uses Quicken with USAA in her own file, and is experiencing the same issue. Quicken, please reach out to USAA and fix it. Thank you.
  • Ralph Celento
    Ralph Celento Member ✭✭✭
    At least your are updating but nothing is actually getting downloaded. Mine is just spinning says processing then crashes. I'm hoping for a solution sooner than later.
  • Mine does nothing. I don't get an error message. I don't get transactions. I get nothing.
  • Ralph Celento
    Ralph Celento Member ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% with all the comments and posted my problems in the community under another question. I messed up by not adding them here under this question.

I'm very disappointed and frustrated with the failure to download my transactions won't process. I'm also getting an error in the synchronization with the cloud.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

For the issues regarding downloading transactions; if you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. Please, follow the steps below in order to do so.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID 
    Once that is done, try running another One Step Update to see if the issue persists.

@Ralph Celento, in regard to the Sync Error, could you please provide the exact error code and/or message you are receiving so we can better assist you further?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• David Ouzounian
    David Ouzounian Member ✭✭✭
    I experience the problems experienced above with USAA accounts.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja, Version is Quicken for Windows, Year: 2020, Version R31.20, Build 27.1.31.20. Signed out and back in to data file per your procedure. Will not be able to test with USAA until NEW transactions are posted by the bank. That's done on an overnight batch process, and is lighter on weekends, so it may be a day or two before I can report back. Thanks.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja, downloading with USAA Monday morning, the issue remains. I had two manually entered charge card transactions that were not matched. Automatic reconciliation after download is enabled. Two new downloaded and reconciled entries were created, while the manually created transactions remained unchanged. Other than being manually entered, they were identical to the downloaded ones. Please contact USAA and work with them to resolve as it doesn't appear to be fixable by users experiencing the error. Thank you.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Sharkbait

Thank you for the response and the additional details.

The R31.20 release includes a fix for issues with matching.
    • Fixed: Issue with downloaded and cloud-synced transactions not automatically matching to manual transactions.
    To install this update, please visit the link below and follow the step to update.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Please let me know if this update corrects the issue for you.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    It doesn't. As I posted on 2/28, I am using the R31.20 release, as I am on Quicken Windows subscription with auto-updates enabled.
  • David Ouzounian
    I am on the R31.20 release, too, and the problem is still there. I did log in and log out, too. The problem is there today, 3/1/21.

(Also, the copyright date on the "About Quicken" pop-up window is still 2018.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I would like to add to this thread is that it is a mix of at least two problems, and the extra problem(s) like @Ralph Celento's is completely different than the problem discussed on this thread and should be separated out to another thread.

The original question here is about matching downloaded transactions.  I'm going to do some testing on that I will report back after I have done it, but having multiple problems discussed in the same thread makes it harder for everyone.

@Quicken Anja or @Quicken_Tyka can you take card of moving the "update errors" to another thread?

Thank you,
    Chris
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well I tried to reproduce this problem, but I can't.

First off when I downloaded a transaction for one that I had already entered, it automatically matched it.  If I unmatched it and then did manual match it was in the list of transactions to match.  Of course if I didn't unmatch it, it wasn't in the list.  Everything Quicken did was "expected".  Sorry couldn't help more with this problem.
    Signature:
  • RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    It does match some, but not all. That’s part of the problem, in that when it randomly happens there’s no logical explanation for the ones that don’t match. And for why they don’t show up in the Match Manually list.
  • David Ouzounian
    RangerDoc's experience is mine, too. That "random" matching effect makes using the feature especially annoying, because I have to look carefully at every downloaded transaction to be sure it's not in the register already, and that is is not a duplicate. The problem is hard to explain and reproduce, but it is there today.
  • Sharkbait
    Sharkbait Member ✭✭
    Today I had two transactions that had been previously downloaded and reconciled in my USAA CC acct. Upon download, two new identical duplicate transactions were created - identical except for the downloaded ID field. According to a quicken help note, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-downloads-transactions-which-are-duplicates-existing-register-entries , downloaded IDs that are different but for the same duplicate transaction indicate an issue at the bank. I sent a message to USAA letting them know. I don't expect to hear back for a few days based on prior tech issue experiences.

I suggest folks reading this thread follow the about technote and turn on the Downloaded ID field in their register to see if the field value is identical or different for downloaded transactions. That will help diagnose the issue per the technote. Good luck to us all.
  • johnodrake
    johnodrake Member ✭✭✭✭
    R31.20 seems to have fixed the issue with not matching uncleared transactions.  What it did not fix, however is the equally troubling and annoying issue of downloading recently reconciled transactions as new.  Not all of the transactions that are reconciled are shown as new transactions in the download, only the most recent - like what I did the day before.  Once you know what you are looking for, it is not a very difficult thing to fix - simply delete the new ones - being careful to match what you delete with one that is already reconciled, else you may delete a transaction that is in fact new.
  • RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    Running Quicken Deluxe, version R31.20, build 27.1.31.20. Copyright 2018.

Today, I downloaded 11 transactions and they each matched successfully. But I'm NOT ready to say that this version fixed the issue because this has been such a random issue.

But I am happy to report success today.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sharkbait said:
    Today I had two transactions that had been previously downloaded and reconciled in my USAA CC acct. Upon download, two new identical duplicate transactions were created - identical except for the downloaded ID field. According to a quicken help note, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-downloads-transactions-which-are-duplicates-existing-register-entries , downloaded IDs that are different but for the same duplicate transaction indicate an issue at the bank. I sent a message to USAA letting them know. I don't expect to hear back for a few days based on prior tech issue experiences.

I suggest folks reading this thread follow the about technote and turn on the Downloaded ID field in their register to see if the field value is identical or different for downloaded transactions. That will help diagnose the issue per the technote. Good luck to us all.
    Based on what people are saying on this thread you are talking about a different problem.

This thread is about people entering the transactions manually and then wanting those to match to downloaded transactions.  The transactions entered manually don't have Downloaded IDs.

You are actually referring to a different problem, pending transactions being downloaded, and then re-downloaded when they are actually posted, and with different Downloaded IDs.  That thread is here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7887428/usaa-transaction-downloads-pending-transactions-edited
    Signature:
  • Both of these issues still exist. Someone at Quicken and USAA need to get together and fix this mess. Ever since USAA changed their system we have been having this problem and it is getting old. Please fix this mess and get things back to working flawlessly like they used to.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    Both of these issues still exist. I have the Windows subscription with auto updates. For months USAA transactions are downloaded as new and unmatched although they exist in the register. Attempts to manually match them sometimes don't work as the register transaction does not show up in the match list and I have to delete one of the transactions to avoid a duplication.
  • I agree that both of these issues still exist. I use Wells Fargo bank, not USAA but I have the same problems. Most of my transactions download accurately and match but many that I either manually enter or use the calendar to automatically "remind me" will not match automatically and will not show up on the manual match list when I try to do that.
    I'm also using the subscription edition and always update when prompted. This is extremely irritating.
This discussion has been closed.