Can you store Quicken data file on Google File Stream?

Can you store Quicken data file on Google File Stream. You an now store data on Google File Stream rather than keeping it local on your PC. I am considering doing that to save space on PC SSD. I have a 900 MB 'Finances Current QDF' which may cause problems due to it's large size.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Bill Bowers,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Though it is possible to store your data file on cloud-based drives/locations, we do strongly advise against it as it can cause irreversible data damage and/or file corruption. 

Please, refer to this support article for more information. Although the article does reference DropBox specifically, the content of the article does apply to all cloud-based services. 

I hope this helps! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Bill Bowers,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Though it is possible to store your data file on cloud-based drives/locations, we do strongly advise against it as it can cause irreversible data damage and/or file corruption. 

Please, refer to this support article for more information. Although the article does reference DropBox specifically, the content of the article does apply to all cloud-based services. 

I hope this helps! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is STRONGLY recommended that your QDF file ONLY be stored  on  your hard drive and not any networked drive.
    At anytime, the connection between your PC and the networked data file could hiccup ... at which time your QDF  could well become unusable.
    Q lacks the "Lock", "Commit"  and "Rollback" commands that would make storing the QDF on other than your hard drive reliable.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We may store Quicken files and backups in Google Drive.

To reduce the risk of corrupting the Quicken file, I suggest you always have Quicken access the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive.  I suggest using short (8.3) names (for example, QData.QDF).  Do not allow other programs to access the Quicken file while it is open in Quicken (for example, OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, MegaSync).  
This discussion has been closed.