Why does quicken consider a CC charge a payment?

Kellerr
Kellerr Member ✭✭
When a payment is due on an account, any charge the results in the question "Is this the payment due..." Obviously a charge can't be a payment; I don't know if I have an incorrect setting or is this an annoying bug?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

More details, please.

How do you record new transactions? By hand, typing them in, or by letting Quicken create new transactions from downloaded data?

Can you show us an excerpt of your credit card account register, with all columns, please, when the popup appears?

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Kellerr
    Kellerr Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. I record new transactions by hand as they occur. Under All Transactions/Banking I have credit cards listed that have monthly recurring charges, e.g. water, electric, cable. The companies send me an email stating my due amount will be charged and how much. So I set up Bill reminders on those accounts to remind me to enter those charges manually. When due those credit cards display a "payment due" icon, but for every charge entered Quicken asks me "is the the payment due" which is odd because the entry is not in the payment column. Odder still, is that if the reminder due dates overlap, quicken will ask me in turn if it is a payment for each CC that has a bill due icon, even though I am entering the amount in a specific account. I already paid this month, I will have to capture next month if you wish.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see how Quicken's terminology around "Payment" might be confusing. 

In a credit card account, a "Charge" is something you pay for with the card and a "Payment" is a credit to the account, for example when you pay the credit card bill.

In a bank account, a "Payment" is money withdrawn from the account and a "Deposit" is money added to the account.

For bills, a "Payment" is money you send to the biller. 

So when you pay a bill with a credit card, the Payment to the biller is a Charge to the card.

When you pay a bill with a check or automatic withdrawal from your bank account, the Payment to the biller is a Payment from your account. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.