Column locking

John Bass
John Bass Member
I have used Quicken for several years. One of the most irritating occurance is that column width consistently changes and I have to readjust them. Is there a way to lock column width for all Acounts??

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @John Bass,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

Unfortunately, Quicken does not currently offer the ability to lock register column widths settings and/or adjustments. If you wish to submit an official request for a feature like this to be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post and add your vote. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea. Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

However, I did also go ahead and test your issue in my own personal Quicken and found that register column widths should automatically save when adjusted. So, for this reason; to start with, if you haven't already, I do suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do also recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    John Bass said:
    I have used Quicken for several years. One of the most irritating occurance is that column width consistently changes and I have to readjust them. Is there a way to lock column width for all Acounts??
    I would think the problem is exactly the opposite.

If you set a given column in a register it doesn’t change.  So if say you have your Quicken window set to half of the screen, and have all of the columns so they fit, and then you maximize the window.  You columns will only take up half of the available space.

Note that all investment register share the same column settings, but in the non investment accounts each register can have different column widths.  If the problem is “How do I make all of the column for this account type to be the same?” Then there is a menu option for that in the dialog for selecting which columns to show.  You will have to do it a few times, because you are doing it for Checking, Savings, Credit Card, ... and in both 1 line mode and 2 line mode.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link to a comment about the pushing of the column settings to other accounts.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20171468/#Comment_20171468
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • In Quicken, you can't directly lock column widths for all accounts universally. However, you can adjust the column widths individually for each account, and these settings should be retained for future sessions. To do this:

Open the account you want to adjust the column widths for.
    Click on the column separator line at the top of the column you want to resize.
    Drag it to your preferred width.
    Repeat this process for each column you want to adjust in that account.
    Quicken should remember these column width settings for each account, so you won't need to readjust them every time you use the program.

This discussion has been closed.