Miscellaneous Expense with Security & Include Unrealized Gains in Current Budget Report problem

Options
kla4503
kla4503 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I found an anomaly in the Current Budget report when I use the Miscellaneous Expense transaction from an investment account with the Security option selected and choosing the optional "Include unrealized gains" selection in the report. I was able to recreate this report behavior in a new quicken file by following these steps:

1. Add a manual investment account with an opening balance.
2. Add a security and purchase shares at a price that leaves an unrealized gain.
3. Enter two miscellaneous expense transactions one with and one without the optional security selected to the purchased security. I chose different dates and different categories for each. My example: $50 without security, category "Interest Exp" and $40 with security, category "Misc".
4. Create a Budget selecting the chosen categories and including _UnrlzdGain. I included some other arbitrary budget amounts and categories.

5. Then use the Current Budget report:
a) as is. The report looks fine.

b) change report settings Advanced tab select "Include unrealized gains". The miscellaneous expense with security item ($40) is zero for the line item, but is in the total ($90). The miscellaneous expense without security shows correctly ($50). The unrealized gain does not show for item _UnrlzdGain but is in the total ($108). Clicking into either "0" actual, the detail report shows the correct data.

c) change settings Display tab under Organization from "Income & Expense" to "Category Group". The miscellaneous expense w/security still zero, but NOT in the total (changed from $90 to $50). Now the _UnrlzdGain shows the correct $108, but the total is increased to $148. The Net Difference total is still correct ($108 -50 -40 = 18), but the Personal Income total - Person Expenses total ($148 -50 = 98) is wrong.

I prefer to use the Category Group layout and I have been using the _UnrlzdGain along with my entire budget/valuation spreadsheets. I have only just recently started using the miscellaneous expense transaction tied to a security. I think it is very good idea as various fees are tied to specific securities. (I see that the ability to enter a negative dividend adjustment was removed from QW.) Please figure out why this report behavior is occurring as I cannot use the mis exp with security as it is functioning with this report.

Thank you.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @kla4503

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already, I would also recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue feedback.

This report will not receive a direct response but the information will be used to investigate and research purposes.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • kla4503
    kla4503 Member ✭✭
    Options
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello @kla4503

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I was able to locate the bug ticket in the previous discussion. It was determined that this is not a bug and is working as designed. This bug was then submitted as a feature request to remove the option to report on _UnrlzdGain completely to avoid confusion.

There has not been any new information on when this will be changed. 
     I would still recommend navigating to Help > Report a Problem to provide feedback.

I apologize for not having a solution at this time.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • kla4503
    kla4503 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you. Prior to posting this, I used the method you mention to report this as a problem. I also contacted customer support to inquire about what happens next? They said I'd be contacted, however, the Help > Report a Problem tab says it is only for collecting statistics. So, I don't know when or if it will be understood and reviewed.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @kla4503,

Currently, Report a Problem submissions go directly to a database that is accessible by members of our Development Product Teams as well as our Tier 2 support agents.

The reports are reviewed daily, mainly for multiple reports of the same trending issues or if Support has requested log files for troubleshooting/escalation purposes. If there are multiple reports of the same issue, those reports are investigated further, and reports that can be replicated or verified are then submitted as tickets to Development.

Unfortunately, the reported problems database does not have the capability to reply to submitted reports. However, I can assure you that all reports received are reviewed and handled accordingly.

I hope this helps! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.