Opening Balance being deleted when resetting account connection

Opening Balance being deleted when resetting account connection. I did a reset of my business account for transaction downloads, Quicken deleted my opening balance and added an opening balance with the incorrect amount throwing off entire ledger. Happens on ALL my opening balance account!!!!!!!! I've already posted this error!!!!!!!!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited May 2021
    Hello @kilingiros .,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• kilingiros .
    kilingiros . Member ✭✭✭
    Yes I did a Validat, a SUPER validate, even stood on my head and rubbed my belly. I'm running Version R32.12 Build 27.1.3.12. Balls back in your court!.
  • Art R
    Art R Member
    Same problem here. Most annoying.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this complaint several times and I think I even encountered it once or twice.
    I don’t think this has anything to do with a corrupted data file.

When you first download an account it is normal for Quicken to use the online balance it gets in the download plus the transactions downloaded to calculate/entry the opening balance.

For whatever reason when you doing reset or deactivate/reactivate Quicken thinks it is dealing with a first time download and does the same.

Like I said I don’t know what triggers this, but it stands to reason the more often that you reset or deactivate/activate the more likely such will be triggered.  It is yet another pitfall of using Express Web Connect (which it failing all the time prompts people to take these actions).

Such actions should be avoided if possible.  You certainly should start with Update now from the register to see if that will clear the problem, and also wait a few days to see if the problem will be resolved.  And check in here if the problem is affecting a lot of people.  If it is, there is very little chance that doing these operations will fix it.

Pas that since it seems to be a fairly rare event about the only thing you can do is submit a problem report so that at least they have the log files if they choose to look into it.   Help -> Report a problem
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there does appear to be an Opening Balance issue when using Reset Account. 
    • After running OSU this morning I noticed my Fidelity credit card had not been updated since 4/29 and that some transactions which had posted online did not download. 
    • I then ran Update Now and the account still did not update.
    • I then did Reset Account and instead of simply resetting the account it downloaded into Quicken like it was a new account so I linked it to the account in Quicken.  The result was that the 10/15/2018 Opening Balance transaction was deleted and a new Opening Balance transaction dated 5/2/2021 was entered throwing off my account balance by a couple of $thousand.
    • The fix was easy enough:  Change the date of the new Opening Balance transaction to 10/15/2018 and correct the amount.  Once done, the account balanced out correctly.
    I then noticed in Account List that none of my other EWC accounts (7 in total) had updated since 4/30 even though I'd run OSU Sunday evening, Monday morning and this morning.  I tried running OSU, again, and they still did not update.  Then I tried running Update Now on each of those accounts and all of them then updated.
    So something seems amiss with OSU and EWC accounts.  OSU has worked fine with my DC accounts.  Now the question is, is this OSU issue related to the Reset Account Opening Balance issue or is it something different.  My guess (and it is simply a guess) is that they are somehow related....I am not a big believer in coincidence.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• kilingiros .
    kilingiros . Member ✭✭✭
    I agree the "Fix" is easy if you are aware of the bug, but for those that aren't, identifying the issue could drive you nuts. the "Fix" needs to be addressed by QUICKEN at once. I have additional bugs that I have identified and opened tickets over a year ago that have not been resolved.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I agree the "Fix" is easy if you are aware of the bug, but for those that aren't, identifying the issue could drive you nuts. the "Fix" needs to be addressed by QUICKEN at once. I have additional bugs that I have identified and opened tickets over a year ago that have not been resolved.
    If there is a problem that was caused by something that Quicken has control over, then I agree that Quicken should fix it so it does not happen again.  But there are also a number of things that could have caused the issue that Quicken has no control over in which case Quicken fixing the problem might not be possible.  We need Quicken to comment on that.
    The purpose of my saying the fix is easy was not to let Quicken off the hook but to let other users know that the world did not come crashing down because of some insurmountable issue.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.