Manual Bank account with no web connection blocks import of QFX file

clloyd
clloyd Member ✭✭
In Mac 2020, I am trying to create a Pack & Brokerage Account with no identified Bank or connection by using the Option Enter Transaction Manually. This goes well and account closes an opens account as "Change 2".  I rename account and try to import a QFX file. I get error message CC-885, Web connection is missing.

What gives?

Answers

• clloyd
    clloyd Member ✭✭
    In Mac Starter 2020, How to I set up an account for manual entries and importing QFX files with no web connection?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "manual entries"and "importing QFX files" is an oxymoron.  If you're importing... it's NOT manual.
    So, please clarify what you're trying to do.
    And, all Q accounts can have manual input,  unless your Starter Edition subscription has expired ...in which case the entire account becomes "Read Only".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Importing a QFX file is part of Quicken's connectivity services. Quicken "phones home" to verify the identity of the financial institution -- and their participation with Quicken. There are also back-end server-based services which take place when files are imported, to standardize Payee names and auto-categorize transactions.

In any case, whether it makes sense to you or not, you need to connect the account in Quicken in order to import a QFX file. If you don't connect the account, if the financial institution doesn't participate, or if you don't have an active subscription, you can't import transactions via a QFX file. Since Starter Edition doesn't allow any entries without an active subscription, it seems you have a subscription, so the only issue should be whether your financial institution(s) participate with Quicken.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your bank has no contractual agreement with Quicken for online services -
    where or how did you get a QFX file ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• clloyd
    clloyd Member ✭✭
    Asking the wrong question.
    When I set up the account and you come to the Bank info window on the lower right there is an options button. Clint this button and you can choose "Enter transactions manually (nothing will be downloaded)
    Add transactions to this account by hand. You can try to set up transaction download some other time.
    My bank does not connect to Quicken for business accounts and only downloads to Quickbooks. I download a CSV file and convert this file to a QFX file with a 3rd party program. Has worked well for another account for a long time.
  • jacobs
    Ah, so now you’ve added the key information. You’re trying to get around your bank not working with Quicken, using a third-party CSV to QFX program. If that program doesn’t do it for you, you would need to edit the QFX file to spoof its identification as a valid financial institution. You won’t be able to get details here — this is a site run by Quicken, after all — but if you do some Googling you may find information.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    clloyd said:
     I download a CSV file and convert this file to a QFX file with a 3rd party program. Has worked well for another account for a long time.
    Sounds like a question for the 3rd party program company.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    clloyd said: Asking the wrong question.  I download a CSV file and convert this file to a QFX file with a 3rd party program. Has worked well for another account for a long time.
    Well duh - I guess the missing puzzle piece has landed....
    Guessing the "another account" may well be with a valid Quicken bank.
    BTW - here is what the Quicken config file looks like for Chase Bank - and which 3 protocols are supported -
    If a bank is not listed in this file, any online QFX download or QFX import will fail...
    Quicken is a biz, and banks must contract with Quicken and pay a fee for Quicken to allow and support online downloading from that "paid" bank.
    Lastly - I have requested both of your postings on this same topic be merged....
    10898    10898    10898    Chase    https://www.chase.com/    1-877-242-7372    https://secure01c.chase.com    ACTIVE   
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT   
    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT        
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dfincher
    dfincher Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Use QIF format. QFX is only for web-based accounts. If you have a manual entry account, your conversion software should also be able to create a QIF file. I have a couple of HSA accounts that do not provide Web Connect, so I download as a CSV and convert to QIF [Removed- Soliciting]. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    dfincher said:
    Use QIF format. QFX is only for web-based accounts. If you have a manual entry account, your conversion software should also be able to create a QIF file. I have a couple of HSA accounts that do not provide Web Connect, so I download as a CSV and convert to QIF [Removed- Soliciting]. 
    This is a Quicken Mac thread.  Quicken Mac doesn't allow QIF imports for anything other than the initial creation of an account (for converting from another personal finance program).
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh! Looks like Quicken is closing the backdoor on transaction imports from unlicensed banks and brokerages. No more loopholes, I'm afraid.
    If we're talking about a US or Canadian bank or brokerage, talk to their upper management and get them to subscribe and register with Intuit.
    AFAIK, international banks outside the US or Canada will only ever be supported if and when Quicken decides to offer an international product with limited import support. Don't hold your breath on that one!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Ahhh! Looks like Quicken is closing the backdoor on transaction imports from unlicensed banks and brokerages. No more loopholes, I'm afraid.
    If we're talking about a US or Canadian bank or brokerage, talk to their upper management and get them to subscribe and register with Intuit.
    AFAIK, international banks outside the US or Canada will only ever be supported if and when Quicken decides to offer an international product with limited import support. Don't hold your breath on that one!
    The "backdoor" has been "closed" for many years.  Quicken Essentials for Mac allowed importing of OFX files and QFX files without the financial information sections, but since they rewrote Quicken Mac they have stopped importing these, and require the proper fields in the QFX file.

Any program that claims to convert to QFX should have "worked around" this problem after all that is in fact what the difference is between an OFX and a QFX file is.
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    While the latest posts are correct, I'm confused why there are any new posts in this thread. The original question was answered back in May, and neither the original poster nor anyone new has come along to ask anything more. 

It's been established that Quicken Mac can't import transactions in either QIF or CSV format, only QFX files can be used to import transactions.  There are third-party software programs which can convert QIF or CSV or OFX files to QFX format by spoofing the ID of a valid financial institution, but these are of course not sanctioned by Quicken.

I think we're done here. :)
This discussion has been closed.