Two MasterCards but won't download to each account

My wife and I each have HSBC Mastercard's. I can download my transaction to my account but when I download my wife's transactions, the data populates my account.
I have downloaded latest Canadian Patch, re-booted, created new accounts etc. Problem still occurs.
 A 40 minute call to the helpdesk (in the USA) not only cost me a few cell phone $$, they were unable to fix the problem with a "sorry, I don't know how to help"!

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello ibarron,

Sorry, to hear that support was unable to help you.

Do these credit cards share the same account number? 

If these credit cards both share the same account number, there isn't a way for Quicken to differentiate what card is which.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick response. Accounts have unique numbers. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for answering that for me.

How are you updating the account?

What connection method are you using?

To find out, 
    • Choose the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List.  Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab at the top.
    Let us know!
    ~~~***~~~
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Update by opening the account through the Bank's website I have been using Quicken for a number of years. Problem only started when I downloaded 22019 Quicken Deluxe.
    Connection - Telus Fibre Optic. Windows 10.
    Thank you..
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Any update? Thank you.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "Any update? Thank you".

Try re-reading Quicken Tyka's post again, then providing the appropriate answer to "what connection method are you using?"

Also, assuming sufficient similarity between the Canadian and U.S. versions, you can try the following.

Create a New (test) Quicken file. Setup only the two HSBC accounts in that file, making sure to link each downloaded account to the correct Quicken account.

If transactions for both downloads still appear in just one Quicken account, an analysis of the OFX Log file may shed some light. Go to Quicken Help > Log files. Open the OFX Log. Click the "Save as" button to create a Windows .TXT file. Open that .TXT file in Notepad and search for the text ACCTID.

I believe ACCTID should occur in the OFX Log once for each account present in the download. If there are two occurrences of ACCTID in the Log and both are followed by the same (account) number, then the problem is originating upstream from Quicken.

That information, coupled with the correct Quicken "Connection Method" should lead you to the actual source of the problem. 

If your Connection Method is "Direct Connect" or "Web Connect", the source of the problem is the financial institution (and only they can correct it). 

If your Connection Method is "Express Web Connect" then you will need to take one more step to determine the source: contact Quicken Support. Support should be able to determine whether the financial institution is sending your transaction, or whether it is Intuit's servers sending the transactions. If the data is coming from Intuit, Support will have to provide the next step.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Still not working!
    Suggestions above not applicable. I am not a 'newby' and used Quicken for many years and know what I'm doing. Quicken helpdesk knew less than me!
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ibarron How many STATEMENTS do you get from HSBC?  1 or 2?
    Because my BarclayBank Mastercard has 2 cards issued on it (different card numbers) but we only receive a single statement (with the activity for each card separated and summed).
    BUT, it's only a single account at the bank and only a single account in Q.
    Could this also be your situation?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Hi. Two monthly statements, two totally separate accounts with individual account numbers.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ibarron

Thank you for the response and the additional details. It had previously been recommended that you attempt to create a test file.

Do recall the results of doing so? If not, I would recommend completing this test once more to be able to let us know the results.

A test file can be created by navigating  File > New Quicken File...

Once in the test file please attempt to add the  HSBC Mastercard accounts to this test file. Are you able to successfully download these accounts?

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    A new test file was created without success.
  • ibarronn
    ibarronn Member ✭✭
    Still having the same problem.
    My wife and I each have HSBC Mastercard's. I can download my transaction to my account but when I download my wife's transactions, the data populates my account.
    I have downloaded latest Canadian Patch, re-booted, created new accounts etc. Problem still occurs.
    A 40 minute call to the helpdesk (in the USA) not only cost me a few cell phone $$, they were unable to fix the problem with a "sorry, I don't know how to help"!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I have credit cards with the same FI with unique numbers, but they are part of the same account.
    The statement will show my transactions and her transactions separately, but they are on the same statement.
    Can you state that you get a separate statement for each credit card?
    If not, then Quicken is acting in the only way it can, there is only one account at the FI and that is what is being depicted in Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ibarronn
    ibarronn Member ✭✭
    NOT CORRECT!
    Been a user for MANY years and always had separate MasterCard's.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you get two separate statements every month with no transactions mentioned on one statement that is mentioned on the other statement?
    Not saying that you don't have two MC cards with two different #s, just trying to confirm that they are completely separate accounts.

• ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Two separate accounts! Cannot be more clear.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    OK, please try this. Do TOOLS, Account list and click on EDIT adjacent to either account.  Look at the "Account number" field (which may only show a partial account number).  Record that number and then click CANCEL.
    Now, click EDIT adjacent to the other MC account.  Is what shows of the Account number different?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Two different account numbers (even tried inserting a space after 4 digits as appears on the card).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like people are barking up the wrong tree, mostly because @ibarronn dismissed @mshiggins /  C. D. Bales suggestion with the statement that it isn't applicable, but not stating what that would be true.

Even though the number statements or the account numbers in Quicken might give a clue, it isn't the "authority".

The QFX file is.  Note that even though @ibarronn never directly answered the question about connection type he/she stated "opening the account through the Bank's website", which "implies" Web Connect/downloading the QFX file and importing it.  So you should have a QFX file to look at.

Open the QFX file in a text editor and search for ACCTID.  You should find two of them, one for each account.  And of course the account Ids should be different.

If there is only one ACCTID entry or if the account Ids are the same then it is a problem that the financial institution has to fix.  I might add that it is very common for some account types for the financial institution to consider them the "main account" and "sub accounts" and as such might purposely send the transactions to Quicken using only the "main account Id".

If in fact there are two different account Ids one possible causes is exceeding the number of characters supported (22 characters from the OFX standard), but is unlikely.

And of course there is outside possibility that Quicken is in fact not doing it right and thinks that two different account Ids are the same.  That would mean that you have come on a combination of two account Ids that Quicken treats as the same even if they are different.  The likelihood of this being true is extremely unlikely, but I guess it might happen if there were foreign characters or something,  But in any case the only way to prove that is the case would given Quicken Inc the exact account Ids that cause this.

A quick test is change the account Ids and reimport the QFX file.  Quicken should see these as a new account(s) and prompt to add/link the accounts.  Make a copy of your data file and work in that copy so as not to mess up your original data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Chris - I agree 100% with your reply and am inclined to go with your thoughts on “main and sub-accounts” - BUT - as stated, I am a longtime user and the problem never previously existed (did not change bank or MasterCard). Having said that HSBC did ‘upgrade’ us to Jade status but the problem was experienced prior to the upgrade.
    I have tried changing a/c ID’s without success. I will attempt opening QFX with editor.
    Many thanks and kind regards.
  • ibarronn
    ibarronn Member ✭✭
    Just undertaken the following:
    1). Logged on to my HSBC Bank account, select MasterCard, select download. Open download folder - download is in folder. Close account.
    2). Logged on to my WIFE'S HSBC Bank account, select MasterCard, select download. Open download folder - only ONE download is in folder.
    3). Inspect download naming (of both downloads). My wife's download (2nd download) replaced the first download.
    Thank you.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't doubt what you are saying, but there must be something wrong with your browser's download setup.
    Here is what I get when I download a second file.

The second one has the (1) appended to make it different.
    There must be a setting in your browser or Windows that is causing it to overwrite the existing file.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Different browsers definitely do this differently.  Some do the automatic changing of the name, some don't.  The ones that don't usually prompt you saying that they are going to overwrite the file.  I believe some have a setting not to prompt you.  In any case now that you know how your browser works you need to move/rename the first downloaded QFX file before downloading the second.  Or of course check the settings of your browser to see if it can do something different, or use a different web browser.
    Signature:
  • ibarron
    ibarron Member ✭✭✭
    My wife and I have other HSBC accounts (cheque, investment, saving) which download/import without any problem which implies no problem with browser.
    I have tried using Firefox to download, same issue.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @ibarron you are jumping around on things that really have nothing to do with the question asked.

The point was to get a copy of each QFX file and to check if the ACCTIDs are the same or not.

The only reason for a side step to talk about the web browser was because you were saying that that downloading the second one overwrites the first, which then you couldn't do that check.

There is no way in the world that the web browser is causing the transactions to be imported into the wrong register.  And for the sake of importing into Quicken it doesn't matter in the least if the web browser overwrites the first QFX file or makes a unique copy, since the process is download, import, (Quicken doesn't need the file any more at this point), download, import, ...
    Signature:
  • ibarronn
    ibarronn Member ✭✭
    Both downloaded - not imported.
    When imported, both downloads populate one account (mine).
  • ibarronn
    ibarronn Member ✭✭
    Problem still exists - have reverted to manual download which sucks.
    I closed both accounts (in Quicken) and created 2 new accounts. The same problem reoccurred.