Cannot upgrade accounts to the Direct Connect Method with First Horizon Bank

Prior to the end of April this year I had been connected using the direct connect method for a very long time. I then had trouble updating account so I deactivated and reactivated. When the accounts were then set up again it was using the Web Connect method. The account details say that my bank offers a better connection method (direct connect). When I try to set it up I get the dialog box that says "we have encountered an error (it's not your fault)...Quicken is having trouble connecting to First Horizon. have tried it again numerous times but get the same results.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 1st thing I would try to do is as follows:
    1. Backup the data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Deactivate the account on the Online Services tab of Account Details.
    3. Remove the Financial Institution information in the upper right quadrant of the General tab of Account Details.
    4. Close Account Details.
    5. Go to Add Account and type in First Horizon Bank.
    6. Beneath the First Horizon Bank information, click on Advanced Options.
    7. Select Direct Connect and then click on Next.
    8. Follow the prompts to complete the set up process.  If Quicken asks you what to do with the downloaded data be sure to select Link to and select the Account in Quicken.
    9. This process might result in transactions that are entered into the account register.  Duplicates will need to be manually deleted.
    Did this resolve your connection issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Bill E.
    Bill E. Member ✭✭
    It did not even allow me to set up the account... gave me a a OL-297-A error message and then on the next tab it gives me the "sorry not your fault....quicken having trouble connecting to FHB."
  • Boatnmaniac
    Ah, you are getting an error code.  If you have not already done so, you might want to review this Quicken Support article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297.
    A couple of other comments/questions:
    • How long have you been seeing this issue?  OL-297 errors usually self-resolve after a day or two.  Financial Institutions (FIs) usually do their system maintenance over weekends so it is not uncommon for connections to not be available during those times.  If this has been happening just in the last couple of days, you might want to try setting up Direct Connect, again, on the next business day when it is most likely that there will be no server outages.
    • Are you seeing having connection issues with any other FI?  If so, you might want to check to verify that your subscription membership has not expired (Help > About Quicken).  If it has expired, you will need to renew your subscription to resolve this OL-297 connection issue.
    • Do you use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web?  If not, I suggest you make sure Sync is turned off (Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = Off).
    • Something else that might help to resolve this issue:  Reset your Cloud Account.  (Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = On > Reset your cloud data > Yes > Reset > Sync = Off (if not using Mobile or Web).)  Try setting up Direct Connect again.
    • Another thing that might help:  Signing out of Quicken and then signing back in.  (Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out > when prompted, sign in using your current Quicken ID and PW).  Try setting up Direct Connect again.
    Did any of these things help to resolve the issue for you?

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bill E.

Thank you for the response and for providing more details.

An "It's not your fault" error will require a contact to support for a review of the log files and possible escalation to resolve.

I would recommend contacting support by phone on Monday to see if the issue resolves itself. 

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

When contacting support, be sure to let me know how long you have been receiving this error.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Bill E.
    Bill E. Member ✭✭
    Boantmaniac-I tried all of your suggestions to no avail. I have been having this problem for about 2 weeks.
    Tyka-I have already contacted quicken support about 2 weeks ago. They reviewed the log files and some other tests and determined it was a problem with the bank. I contacted the bank and they were unable to resolve the issue.
    The only thing the bank said could be a problem was if I was using an old version of quicken. The quicken support guy also noticed that I was running quicken deluxe while sharing my screen but didn't elaborate.
    Also I have 3 other FI accounts that work fine.
  • Boatnmaniac
    DC connection issues usually need to be fixed by the FI since typically it requires them to do something with their server.
    One last thing you might want to try:  Create a new Quicken data file (not a copy of your existing file).  Then try to add and set up your FHB account in it...remember to click on Advanced Options to be able to select DC.
    Were you able to set up your FHB account with DC in this new file?
    If so, it indicates that perhaps there is something in your current file that is corrupted.
    If not, it is a strong indication that there is a DC problem on FHB's end.

• Bill E.
    Bill E. Member ✭✭
    Could not set up the FHB account with the new file (same results). Is there something that Quicken can do to escalate the issue with First Horizon?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Bill E. said:
    Could not set up the FHB account with the new file (same results). Is there something that Quicken can do to escalate the issue with First Horizon?
    Too bad that you could not get it set up with a new file.  One thing I did notice is that FHB requires customers who want to use Quicken be signed up for Digital Banking:  https://www.firsthorizon.com/Products-and-Services/Digital-Banking-Category/Digital-Banking-Detail/Quicken-Online.  I'm assuming this is about DC because it talks about paying bills and transferring funds between accounts, something that DC can do but EWC cannot.  It's also for Mobile and online bill pay. It is not unusual for banks to have two different logins...one for EWC that is your normal online account access and another for DC.  I might be way off base here but maybe you might want to double check to see if you are signed up for or still signed up for Digital Banking? 
    I also noticed that at the bottom of that webpage there is a link to get technical help from a Digital Delegate.  If the number provided is different from the FHB person you talked with then maybe this number might be helpful.
    At this point I'm at a dead end.  If I come up with anything new to try I'll be sure to post it here.  Perhaps someone else will post here with some other ideas, too.
    Regarding your escalation question:  I'm going to let @Quicken_Tyka reply to that.

• Bill E.
    Bill E. Member ✭✭
    Yes I am enrolled and currently using Digital Banking to pay bills now that I can't use quicken. Thanks for your help Boatnmaniac.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    US Bank, my local bank, requires that i work with them to set-up using Direct Connect ... since they want to make sure that they're authorized to charge me ($3.95/mo for all accounts).
    Perhaps FHB is the same.  Have you contacted their Online support re: this?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Bill E.
    Bill E. Member ✭✭
    Not the case but thanks