payee limitation in reports?

av8r6
av8r6 Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Not sure what's going on here. I get this warning when running a report on a large data file:

Note: Do to the size of the data file, not all payees are available in the 'Select Payees' list. You may also use 'Payee Contains' for filtering.

Makes reports pretty useless for me. I'm just trying to run a report on one payee over a 20 year period. I just need a total dollar amount spent on one payee, very simple.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is a limited number of payees in the dropdown list on the left side of the Payees customization tab. 

Did you try entering the payee name in the Payee contains box on the right side of the tab?
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    There is a limited number of payees in the dropdown list on the left side of the Payees customization tab. 

Did you try entering the payee name in the Payee contains box on the right side of the tab?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    May I ask how many distinct payees you have in your data file?
    Are you running a mail order business with thousands of individual customers?
    Or is your list of Payees bloated because you have many spelling variations of the same name, e.g., McDonalds, "Mc Donalds", MacDonalds, etc. or "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" for each of your daily trips to Starbucks
    Just trying to figure out if we need to talk to the programmers or if a little housekeeping would be advisable.

• av8r6
    av8r6 Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:

> Did you try entering the payee name in the Payee contains box on the right side of the tab?

Thanks Jim, that did it! Not sure why they limit the size of the payee list, but, entering the payee name in the Payee contains box did the trick.

Paul
  • Jim_Harman
    edited May 2021
    I think the limitation is the number of items that can be in the dropdown control. I think it is 2,000 of so, and it draws from all the payees you have ever used.

People who have run into this limitation often do some housekeeping on their payees, for example renaming Starbucks #12345, Starbu HartfordCT, etc to Starbucks.

Enabling Quicken's automatic renaming for downloaded transactions and/or making your own renaming rules is a big help in reducing clutter in the payees going forward.
  • av8r6
    av8r6 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2021
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > I think the limitation is the number of items that can be in the dropdown control. I think it is 2,000 of so, and it draws from all the payees you have ever used.
    >
    > People who have run into this limitation often do some housekeeping on their payees, for example renaming Starbucks #12345, Starbu HartfordCT, etc to Starbucks.
    >
    > Enabling Quicken's automatic renaming for downloaded transactions and/or making your own renaming rules is a big help in reducing clutter in the payees going forward.

Great ideas. In the one payee report that I was running, there were 7 different spellings of the one payee I was interested in. I went into find/replace and gave them all one spelling. Thanks for the help Jim!

Paul
  • Jim_Harman
    Please be sure to back up your data before making any bulk changes.

I should have mentioned that maintaining a clean list of memorized payees also helps to reduce the clutter.
  • CorkTheElder
    CorkTheElder Member
    The generic selection also fails to work if the payee fails to appear in the dropdown list. A very similar error can be had when using using category selection. The missing payee/category is not necessarily at the end of the list but appear to be interspersed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The generic selection also fails to work if the payee fails to appear in the dropdown list. A very similar error can be had when using using category selection. The missing payee/category is not necessarily at the end of the list but appear to be interspersed.

If you consider this a problem that needs looking into, please start your own new separate question or discussion and give us as much details as you can. Include image snapshots showing what you're searching for and the results. Also please include these details:
    Do you use Quicken Mac or Quicken for Windows?
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release of Quicken are you using?  
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    What is your subscription expiration date?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to get this information.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?

How to attach image snapshots to Community posts

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

This discussion has been closed.