Tracking Ethereum in Quicken (and nothing more)

Options
sime3000
sime3000 Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2021 in Investing (Windows)
"Quicken Anja" and Quicken Support, please do not merge this with the other thread that Quicken closed for some reason without any resolution for their paying$ customers. These are two very different requests. The other thread is a generic request for general support of digital currency that Quicken customers have been requesting for several years and there is no timeline to implement. This, on the other hand, is a very specific request to implement the ability to download quotes for Ethereum in Quicken - that's all (you already do this for BitCoin). This should be very easy to implement and we cant wait for years with no resolution as with the other thread - that's completely unreasonable. Again:

The market cap for Ethereum is currently around 280 billion dollars and there is still no way to get Quicken to provide simple quote updates for Ethereum?
Ethereum quotes are available from many sources and I suspect it would take Quicken a few minutes to implement a quote for Ethereum in Quicken. [Removed - Speculation]
I understand that there are tedious manual workarounds available but that's not why we purchased Quicken, otherwise we could track our finances via spreadsheets instead of purchasing the Quicken application. I just paid Quicken another yearly renewal fee $$ and Quicken is not helping me or its other customers who are looking for up-to-date Ethereum quotes within the application.
When exactly will Quicken make Ethereum quotes available within Quicken?

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @sime3000,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

For Ethereum quotes to be supported, you will need to contact them directly to make this request.

In order for them to be added to our list, Ethereum would need to get in contact with Intuit in order to be added to Quicken. Intuit is the service provider for connections between Quicken and the financial institutions on our list.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "You are saying this in jest, correct ?"
    Perhaps not.  If you don't understand crypto to begin with then saying "Ethereum needs to contact Intuit" - thinking "Ethereum" is a financial institution of some sort  - would be the logical answer.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Tom Young that was @Quicken Anja who said the user would have to contact Etherium and Etherium would have to contact Intuit.

Note to anyone who doesn't understand, Etherium is a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. It is Quicken's quote provider who would have to add support for Etherium quotes, as they already do for Bitcoin.

As far as I know, that request would be from Quicken to the quote provider.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with @Jim_Harman the answer.  I'm sorry @Quicken Anja but your answer is incorrect on two counts.

The first is that Ethereum is a "currency" it isn't a "financial institution" that can be contacted and asked to download the exchange rate.

Second, Intuit will not talk to Quicken users.  Any communication that needs to be done with Intuit has to come from Quicken support.

With that being said, I just realized that there is a fundamental problem with cryptocurrencies that I didn't think about.  Before the big discussion was about get "quotes" and how many digits after the decimal point is needed, but now I realize there is even more to this problem.

As far as I know Quicken has no support for trading currencies.

Ethereum isn't a "security", it is a currency.  The quotes (actually exchange rates) are given in reference to another currency not the number of shares.

It is just as legitimate to ask how many UK pounds there are to Ethereum as it is to ask how many US dollars there are to Ethereum.

People buying cryptocurrencies might think they are trading a security, but they aren't they are trading a currency (it says so right in the name).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello All,

Thank you for those additional comments and insight on "Ethereum".  With the information provided, the original merging of @sime3000 post to the Idea post requesting support for cryptocurrencies was correct.

That original post is available here, and as such, this new thread will be closed as a duplicate request.

Thank you,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.