Wrong prior balance

skmcfadden
skmcfadden Member ✭✭
Started reconciling my last 3 bank statements in quicken (Oct - Dec). The prior balance was off by 0.42 so I corrected it in the reconcile detail - prior balance dialog. Quicken ended up making a .42 reconciliation at the end. No big deal. Except on my next statement, the prior balance is also off by .42 and the next statement the prior balance is also off .42 and quicken makes a .42 adjustment on every statement reconciliation now.

Quicken premier 2020 r30.14 27.130.14

Please advise
Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the beginning balance of the reconcile is changing from what they were, it is because the Reconciled transactions have changed.

The opening balance of the reconcile is the sum total of all of the R transactions in the register and is calculated at the time of reconciliation and not stored for future reference.

What could change that # is one of the following:
    1. a blank or C was changed to a R
    2. an R was changed to a blank or C
    3. the amount of an R was changed
    4. a new transaction was marked R to begin with
    5. a R transaction was deleted
    IMHO, not finding the difference and allowing Quicken to make an adjustment is always a big mistake.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock61
    Sherlock61 Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since 1998. Each month I reconcile Quicken with my printed bank statement to the penny. I have found errors I've made over the years in individual transactions but I believe there is a Quicken flaw now involving "Prior Balance" in the reconcile window.

The last 2 months the prior balance has been off by over $2800. Again, each of my accounts is balanced to the penny each month and I have never let Quicken do a balance adjustment to make it appear balanced. Last month I let it do the balance adjustment, but now that I am reconciling the December statement, the prior balance is wrong again. It does not remember the correct prior balance I entered last month so the error is repeating. I have gone through every transaction over the past 3 months and there are no errors when compared to my bank statement. I am the only Quicken user in the family and I do not change the status (R, C etc) in the transactions.

I see posts back to 2018 with this problem and several people posting this week.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock61
    While you might not knowingly change the status of a transaction, that does not prevent a transaction from being created with a status of "R" based on a Memorized Payee that has the status set to "R".
    If this happens, the prior balance will change.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the prior balance has changed, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.
  • Scutmud
    Scutmud Member
    This is happening to me. It is not that I changed any previous transactions, the program is altering some. I too have used Quicken for a long time, over 15 years.

Even the downloaded credit card transactions are screwing up, creating duplicates. Of course they would blame the vendor, but it’s quickens issues.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scutmud said:
    Even the downloaded credit card transactions are screwing up, creating duplicates. Of course they would blame the vendor, but it’s quickens issues.
    Have you examined the OFXLog.txt file to determine that?  Could the card company have screwed up and sent duplicates?
    And, what bank issued your card?
    What method are you using to download into this card account?  Do HELP, Account List and tell us what's in the "Transactions Download" column adjacent to the account name?
    Lastly, what Q product are you running, and what BUILD of that product?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• The LAD
    The LAD Member ✭✭
    I am also having a problem with prior balance changing. A quicken user since Windows version first came out. A major discrepancy: $25,000! I did not delete any reconciled transactions for that amount I can assure you! The only correlation I can see is that I had an investment account with a $25000 CD bought in 2012 which I cashed in. I recorded the sale in the investment account, recorded the interest, and then did a transfer of the $25K+interest to my checking acct. That transaction has not yet cleared and shows OK in the checking account. Quicken Ver R33.24, Build 27.1.33.24

What is the quick fix? Accept the adjusting transaction and then delete it?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @The LAD

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to share a screen to figure out what exactly could be causing the issue. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• chdeloach
    chdeloach Member ✭✭
    I have this problem as well. Both the beginning balance change in checking accounts and credit card accounts from one reconciliation to the next and have found no missing or changed transactions.
This discussion has been closed.