Online Services cannot link to existing account during Setup

I recently received a message that Principal Financial Group now allows transactions to be downloaded from Quicken, so I followed the instructions to Edit the existing account in Quicken and Set up Online Services. The problem - it never gives me the opportunity to link the online service to the existing account. Quicken automatically creates a brand new account.

How do I link to the existing account when setting up online services? This is missing the current release of Quicken R33.24 Build 27.1.33.24
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @HollyHo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, if you haven't already, could you please try connecting and linking through Add Account instead (not through Set Up Now)?

To connect through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, see if the dropdown menu will now allow you to choose Link - to existing Quicken account (see example below).

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• HollyHo
    HollyHo Member ✭✭
    Your screen shot shows that you are adding a Checking Account - Quicken never asks for the type of account when I start from "Add Account" or from "Set up Now..." under Online Services tab of an existing account. From either starting point, I am simply presented with a list of online providers to search for and then to select from.

When I type in "Principal" I get the following list of possible accounts. When I select "Principal Financial Group" and then Next, It is automatically setup as a new Brokerage account. I can convert it later to a 401k, but no where does it ask me to link to an existing account.

I have multiple screen shots to walk you thru the process that I see, but this chat only allows one attachment, so I am posting the first image.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @hollyho Your graphic is for ADDING an account.  But your question is about LINKING an online account to Q.
    Has your Principal account previously been created in Q?
    SO, what's your real issue?  You've asked to unrelated questions.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• HollyHo
    HollyHo Member ✭✭
    @NotACPA,
    If you read the post from QuickenAnja, you may note that she directed me to try adding a new account instead of using Set up Now on the current account.

Regardless, the result is the same. The system will allow me to create a new Brokerage account (that I can convert to a 401k) but it does not provide the ability to link to an existing 401k account.

Prior to now, Principal did not allow updating from within Quicken, but only allowed a download from their website. They sent out new instructions that starting on 6/1 I should deactivate my existing quicken account setup and set it up to link it from inside Quicken.

So my issue is unresolved. How do I setup my Principal 401k account in Quicken so that it now links to the principal website and downloads transactions?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @HollyHo

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to troubleshoot with screenshare if if you feel comfortable doing so. This will let them see exactly what could be causing the issue. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

This discussion has been closed.