How to get Memos to show on both account registers

If I place a Memo on a transfer between accounts 1 and 2, the memo will only apply to the account register for say account 1 as that is where I wrote the transaction. The carrying transaction into the other account doesn't carry the memo when it's created. Why is this? Is this a feature that I can turn on or is that just how it's built?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It is just how it's built.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @PolikosFoinix,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Unfortunately, as Sherlock previously stated, it is just how the program is currently built in regards to this feature, and there is not a setting currently offered to change this.

However, if you wish to submit an official feature request for this to be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's odd. I just created a few transfers in 27.1.33.24 and the memo was copied to the other side every time. It worked with both Banking and Investing accounts.
    We're not discussing the behavior when we create the transfer transaction.  We're discussing the behavior when we edit an existing transfer transaction.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It is just how it's built.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @PolikosFoinix,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Unfortunately, as Sherlock previously stated, it is just how the program is currently built in regards to this feature, and there is not a setting currently offered to change this.

However, if you wish to submit an official feature request for this to be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Quicken Windows 2013 and it transfers the memo line to the transfer account.  Is this in a split transaction?  Then it might not carry the memo line over.

And in split transaction, if some of the categories are Transfers to the same account it will lump all them together and make 1 transaction in the Transfer account.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• PolikosFoinix
    PolikosFoinix Member ✭✭
    @volvogirl Not a split. Simple transfer, but the Memo doesn't transfer along with it from one account to the other.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    That's odd. I just created a few transfers in 27.1.33.24 and the memo was copied to the other side every time. It worked with both Banking and Investing accounts.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    We're not discussing the behavior when we create the transfer transaction.  We're discussing the behavior when we edit an existing transfer transaction.
  • PolikosFoinix
    PolikosFoinix Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > That's odd. I just created a few transfers in 27.1.33.24 and the memo was copied to the other side every time. It worked with both Banking and Investing accounts.

> @Sherlock said:
    > We're not discussing the behavior when we create the transfer transaction.  We're discussing the behavior when we edit an existing transfer transaction.

Agreed. I'm lining out what I want to do in Quicken, then executing it in my bank and copying the confirmation number into Quicken. It does carry if I do it in the initial transaction, but when editing it doesn't. Shouldn't matter if I'm editing or entering for the first time. The two transactions should be permanently linked once it's created, two halves of the same whole. This shows that it's only linked the moment it's created.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Right I should have mentioned that.  But the poster didn't say he was editing the transaction, sounds like on a new transaction.  

UPDATE....I was posting at the same time.  Now he is saying it is when he edits it later.  So no it doesn't update the transfer account too.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > That's odd. I just created a few transfers in 27.1.33.24 and the memo was copied to the other side every time. It worked with both Banking and Investing accounts.

> @Sherlock said:
    > We're not discussing the behavior when we create the transfer transaction.  We're discussing the behavior when we edit an existing transfer transaction.

Agreed. I'm lining out what I want to do in Quicken, then executing it in my bank and copying the confirmation number into Quicken. It does carry if I do it in the initial transaction, but when editing it doesn't. Shouldn't matter if I'm editing or entering for the first time. The two transactions should be permanently linked once it's created, two halves of the same whole. This shows that it's only linked the moment it's created.
    Only the transaction date, the amount, and the category fields should be permanently linked.  The other fields should not be permanently linked.