Backup Locations on Network Drives

Options
RLSJR
RLSJR Member ✭✭
I have been backing up my data to a network drive for decades. Recently (can't say when) Quicken tells me it can't find the location. If I click [Browse], my network drive(s) do not show up in the list. Hitting F5 doesn't make them appear either.

In order to successfully back up my data, I must:

* Close Quicken.
* Open Windows Explorer and click on the network drive (which shows up in Explorer just fine).
* Re-open Quicken.
* Initiate the backup.

It's like Quicken reads in disk information on startup, and that's it. Never refreshes it so that "sleeping" network drives don't appear. Anyone else experience this? Current version is R31.8 (27.1.31.8).

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is your network drive mapped? I recall having an issue on occasion after an update that Quicken could not find the drive. I disconnected the drive and remapped. I've not had the issue in quite some time.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been seeing drives get unexpectedly unmapped recently - as in the last few weeks - in Windows 10. It's as if there is now a timeout. I find I have to re-map the drives from time to time. It's annoying but I wrote a small command script which fixes it (until the next time). In my case, it does not appear Quicken-related.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• RLSJR
    RLSJR Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @GeoffG said:
    > Is your network drive mapped? I recall having an issue on occasion after an update that Quicken could not find the drive. I disconnected the drive and remapped. I've not had the issue in quite some time.

Yes, they're mapped to drive letters.
  • RLSJR
    RLSJR Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > I have been seeing drives get unexpectedly unmapped recently - as in the last few weeks - in Windows 10. It's as if there is now a timeout. I find I have to re-map the drives from time to time. It's annoying but I wrote a small command script which fixes it (until the next time). In my case, it does not appear Quicken-related.

The drives are staying mapped. Even with Quicken open and the file selection dialog on the screen, if I open Windows Explorer I immediately see the drives listed.
  • RLSJR
    RLSJR Member ✭✭
    Options
    If Quicken is watching, I'm updated to the latest version available as of this post and the condition still exists.
  • edwardkaufman
    edwardkaufman Member ✭✭
    Options
    I keep a duplicate copy of my Quicken files on an external drive, accessible over my home wifi system. After updating to Version R.34.16, Build 1.27.34.16, Quicken does not recognize this external drive. As work-around I'm saving the backup copy to Desktop and then using file explorer to move the file to my external drive. File explorer recognizes this external drive, prints to it, downloads from it, etc. Is there some reason Quicken does not recognize my external drive? Known bug? Expected fix?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you accessing the external drive from Quicken ?
    Are you keeping your active QDF file on it - and doing an OPEN from there ?
    or.... creating the auto backups ?
    or.... creating the manual backups ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you checked in Edit / Preferences / Backup that your settings for Manual Backup are still enabled (checkmark in a little box to the left of "Manual Backup reminder")?
    Have you checked that, when starting a Manual Backup, the file name and path to the backup drive still contains the correct drive letter, path and file name? For example,  E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    Is/was the backup drive connected and running when you started Quicken?
    If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep a duplicate copy of my Quicken files on an external drive, accessible over my home wifi system. After updating to Version R.34.16, Build 1.27.34.16, Quicken does not recognize this external drive. As work-around I'm saving the backup copy to Desktop and then using file explorer to move the file to my external drive. File explorer recognizes this external drive, prints to it, downloads from it, etc. Is there some reason Quicken does not recognize my external drive? Known bug? Expected fix?

Sometimes, this does happen and nothing to panic over. Simple browse to the same location and make sure that the external drive is on and seen by the Router. By reinstalling Quicken, you will still need to browse to the location again. So a reinstall, will not fix your current problem.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After your reboot, try running validate.
  • Kevin Maher
    Kevin Maher Member ✭✭
    Options
    Have exact same behavior after years of doing same
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @Kevin Maher,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community, however, since this is an older post that was originally created back in January of 2021, it is less likely to receive an answer now.

I would suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required.

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Help > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.