Quicken 2007 .qif to Quicken 2021??? (Mac)

I would like to import .qif files generated in Quicken 2007 (for Mac) into the latest version of Quicken Deluxe for Mac (running on Mac OS 10.15.7).

Under the File >> Import menu I don't see an option for a qif file.

I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could educate me on how to do this!!!

Thank you very much :)

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you have not already done so, you might want to read this Support article:  https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac.  Scroll down the article a bit and under Previous versions of Mac click on the blue underlined link for Convert from Quicken 2007 for Mac.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Very nice; thank you!!!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @LargeDoggie. The short answer is that modern Quicken Mac is designed to import your entire Quicken 2007 data file into Quicken Mac, not a QIF file(s) exported from Quicken 2007. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    You can also combine multiple QM2007 files into one QMac file.

So, depending on what you are trying to do, you could import QIF files into a QM2007 file, then import the QM2007 file(s) into a QMac file.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• LargeDoggie
    LargeDoggie Member ✭✭
    Thanks to all for their help and sharing their wisdom and experience; it's much appreciated!
  • lizingrid
    lizingrid Member ✭✭
    We too have been using Q2007 for >25 yrs. Q2017 import was difficult and was confusing. The non-intuut(?) Q2018 was suggested as worth the switch. We are interested in preserving our basic tasks with little interest in bells and whistles. What errors are noted in the import into Q2021. I assume it works with Monterey and the new M1 chip
  • CharPatton
    CharPatton Member ✭✭
    The import from Q2007 went well, with no errors; that's the good news.

More good news is that Q2021 is pretty sweet once it's up and running. Like you, I didn't want bells and whistles, just basic functionality.

I can't speak to Monterey and the new M1 chip (we're still Big Sur and Intel).

The bad news is that it was a boatload of work to make the Q2007 transition to Q2021. Perhaps this reflects my lack of computer sophistication rather than any intrinsic issues, but I spent a HUGE amount of time incrementally figuring things out since Q2021 is so different from Q2007. I'm glad I did it now (and thanks to the MANY people on the forums who helped me through this transition!), but I'm really, really glad it's in the rear view mirror and we don't have to do it again...
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @lizingrid Quicken Mac has been incrementally improving since it was introduced back in 2014. If you tried it in 2017, then today's Quicken Mac looks and works fundamentally the same, although there have been improvements in many areas of the program over the past three years. 

Everyone uses Quicken somewhat differently, so it's impossible to say you'll find your "basic tasks" easy to complete in the new version. I made the transition and find it easy to use, after taking some time to adapt to the new interface and to re-train my brain-to-finger coordination after 20+ years of working with the old interface. There is a definitely a bit of a learning curve, but if you go into it knowing you'll have to learn the new ways of doing things, and not having knee-jerk negative reactions because things are different, you should be fine after some time to adjust. There are some things I like better in the modern program; there are a few things which are missing or which take an extra keystroke or click. Your mileage may vary.

The Quicken 2007 database has a number of quirks, so it's similarly impossible to tell you whether your import will be perfectly smooth or problematic. You will likely need to do at least some small clean-ups, such as minor rounding errors in investment accounts; you may have to do more hunting down of issues and fixing them. It helps if you can keep your old computer and old Quicken running when you transfer to the new Quicken, so you can run them side-by-side to compare things. There are some things which don't transfer, such as saved reports or your budget; you'll need to re-create those. 

Oh, and yes, Quicken runs well on M1 Macs. Most people report no problems with Monterey, but there have been a few problem reports of a cosmetic problem with column alignment in some reports, and and a few people having the program stall after launching. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    For those interested in importing QIF files from QM2007 into current QMac, there is a simple workaround.

One feature that QMac has is the ability to import and merge multiple QM2007 data files into one QMac file.

So, the workaround involves these steps:
    1. generate QIF files from QM2007
    2. import those QIF files into a new empty QM2007 file
    3. Open QMac data file.
    4. Import new QM2007 data file.
    HTH

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.