Some Memorized Split Transactions Causing Crash

I've used Quicken for years, and over the last few months, out of the blue, certain memorized split transactions (saved as percentages) cause the program to crash/freeze. It's the same memorized split transactions causing the crash/freeze, making the program inaccessible, while the rest of my computer still functions fine. It's only a few of the memorized split transactions causing the crash/freeze. Some of the memorized split transactions function fine. Any work around other than manually entering all of the info by hand over and over? I've reported this to Quicken, but there's no screenshot to show.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @pjbass,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• pjbass
    pjbass Member ✭✭
    Hi, thx Quicken Anja. I validated first, tested, still had the issue. So, then I super validated, and am still having the issue. It's not the end of the world, and Quicken has always been super great to me. Just wondering if anyone else was having the same issue or had a solution.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @pjbass

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response. 

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps. 

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further. 

Thank you, 

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • I'm not sure the time contacting telephone support would be well spent. The solution in "https://www.quicken.com/support/error-memorized-transaction-list-full-or-memorized-transactions-stop-working" may be helpful for other issues but it will also will put every memorized transaction on the calendar.

The code in the register stopped processing a percentage split transaction as a split transaction circa Quicken 2015. It has been using the first category of the memorized transaction as if there was no split. It obviously isn't using the memorized transaction type and is using the default.

The memorized payee list can still be used to effect a percentage split to a transaction already in the register. Right clicking on the memorized transaction with the percentage split and choosing "Use" will correctly apply a memorized percentage split to the current transaction in the open register.

This code invoked from the memorized payee list is not entirely bug-free. It seems to be able to retrieve the transaction total but is unable to retrieve the status and memo fields or doesn't use the data retrieved. The register transaction's memo and cleared status fields are inappropriately over-written; e.g. a memorized transaction with a blank memorized memo should have no effect on the memo stored in the register, instead it will erase an existing memo. A cleared transaction will be will be demoted to un-cleared unless memorized as cleared. A reconciled transaction will be demoted to un-cleared unless memorized as cleared in which case the transaction is demoted from reconciled to cleared. When set, memorized transaction's flag should only promote an un-cleared transaction to cleared and have no effect on a reconciled transaction. When the flag is not set in the memorized transaction it should have no effect on the cleared status of any transaction.

Historically, there has been a recurring bug preventing the code implementing the percentage split from retrieving the transaction's total amount from the register causing it to display a dialog box asking for it to be re-entered by the user. It seems to be in abeyance at the moment.
  • pjbass
    pjbass Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Interestingly enough, I found that the "freeze" only occurs with split transactions when part of the split transaction also contains an offset. See screen grab. I have a memorized transaction for the payee "Lotte" so that the total debit is split 50/50 between two categories, in this case "Charlie's groceries" and "PJ's groceries," followed by a separate line item showing that I paid cash for the whole amount. Quicken freezes up the next time I try to use that memorized transaction. Yes, I realize this is a convoluted way to keep track of cash payments, haha.