T Rowe Price 401(k) no transactions downloaded, no error message

Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
In my 401(k) account at T Rowe Price, no transactions have downloaded since the end of May. There are no error messages, OSU completes successfully but there are no transactions to review.

If I Reconcile shares from the account's gear menu or do a Compare to Portfolio in the Online Center, it shows the correct discrepancy in share balances.

Resetting the account and updating the profile do not help.

Looking at the OFX log, I see the INVPOSLIST and INV401KBAL sections, but the INVTRANLIST section is missing. 

This has also been reported here
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7897882/t-rowe-price-not-downloading-transactions-no-error-message-or-codes

in Windows Investing and appears to be partially corrected, but perhaps it will get more visibility here
QWin Premier subscription

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone talked to T Rowe Price?

Only they can fix such a problem with missing data in the OFX response.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I thought of checking on the Quicken side.  Make sure that the DTSTART is a reasonable date (one that would include the transactions you are looking for).
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Chris_QPW said:
    One thing I thought of checking on the Quicken side.  Make sure that the DTSTART is a reasonable date (one that would include the transactions you are looking for).
    Good idea, @Chris_QPW, but that did not fix it. What I see on investing accounts is that DTSTART is always 1/1/1970. I changed it to 5/28/2021, the date of the last update that included transactions, but still no transactions are downloaded. When I went back to the Refresh Online Transaction Information window, the date had reverted to 1/1/1970. Am I missing something?

If not, I will try contacting T Rowe Price.
  • Jim_Harman
    Update: I called T Rowe Price and spoke to someone who seemed knowledgeable - surprising for Saturday of Labor Day weekend!

Apparently I am not the first customer to complain about this.

He had me make a test file with just the TRP account and that did not work either. I sent him the OFX log and he said he would have their tech team review it and get back to me next week.

We'll see ...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Good idea, @Chris_QPW, but that did not fix it. What I see on investing accounts is that DTSTART is always 1/1/1970. I changed it to 5/28/2021, the date of the last update that included transactions, but still no transactions are downloaded. When I went back to the Refresh Online Transaction Information window, the date had reverted to 1/1/1970. Am I missing something?
    That is interesting.  I looked at mine and found that the investment accounts all default back to 1/1/1970, but the non investment accounts hold the last date set.

When I look at the OFX logs the DTSTART in the investment logs never changed, they were using today's date.  Which I would hope is today only because I have already updated today.

When I look at the OFX logs the DTSART in my checking account did change to the one I set in the Online Center.

So for investment accounts the Online Center DTSTART does nothing.
    Signature:
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

If not, I will try contacting T Rowe Price.

So, I am having the issue that almost all my funds download as "Unidentified Security". I contacted Quicken Support and we did a test file and the issue persisted. Quicken Support thinks that T. Rowe Price must have changed the format of the file that is being imported. I've sent tech support email to T. Rowe Price. Hopefully, they can figure out the issue.

- Merg
  • Jim_Harman
    @The Merg If you do not hear back promptly from T Rowe, I suggest you give them a call after Labor Day. The person I spoke to there seemed very competent, and hopefully if they get more complaints it will get bumped up in their priorities. Be sure to get their "incident number" so you can follow up, and keep us up to date here.

I also encourage anyone else who is having difficulties with T Rowe Price downloads to call their technical support number, which you will find under "Contact us" when you are logged in to your account there.
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @The Merg If you do not hear back promptly from T Rowe, I suggest you give them a call after Labor Day. The person I spoke to there seemed very competent, and hopefully if they get more complaints it will get bumped up in their priorities. Be sure to get their "incident number" so you can follow up, and keep us up to date here.

I also encourage anyone else who is having difficulties with T Rowe Price downloads to call their technical support number, which you will find under "Contact us" when you are logged in to your account there.

Will do. I just sent an email to them today since I didn't know if they would be answering phones and their chat was closed. It said I should hear back in 2-3 days, so I'll give it towards the end of the week.

- Merg
  • > @Jim_Harman said:
    >
    > I also encourage anyone else who is having difficulties with T Rowe Price downloads to call their technical support number, which you will find under "Contact us" when you are logged in to your account there.

I spoke to Trowe support during the summer and sent them a log file, the support tech said they would update me when they hear back from the internal folks. Have heard nothing back for over a month now. I also emailed them. Twice. No response. From reading these forums, others have complained going back to June.

The general consensus is that this is a Trowe problem since the direct connect completes successfully. They did something to their format around beginning of Summer that broke something. I agree that everyone needs to complain about this.
  • Jim_Harman
    Here is the response I received from T Rowe Price:

---------------------------

This unfortunately has been found to be a known issue with the transfer of data from our systems to Quicken as of mid-June. Our Escalations groups are at work on a permanent solution for this issue and you will be notified immediately when a solution arises.

---------------------------

This is not encouraging, but at least they are taking responsibility for it. 

I guess I will let Quicken create Placeholders for now so that at least my balances are correct, and I will deal with the missing transactions when they have fixed the problem. 

• Without the latest transactions at least I'm wealthier than Quicken is letting me know :D
  • Jim_Harman
    edited September 2021
    Update:

My 401(k) has just one security. I tried letting Quicken create a Placeholder to account for the missing shares, but I think because the 401(k) essentially has sub-accounts for the various cash sources, that resulted in almost doubling the total number of shares. Update Share balance from the gear menu had the same problem.

I ended up manually entering an Added transaction for the missing shares, with Unknown selected as the Cash source, and now Reconcile Shares shows no difference. Note that any adjustment made on today's date will not be reflected in the Reconcile Shares comparison; you must pick an earlier date for the adjustment.   

Hopefully when T Rowe fixes their downloading problem, I can delete the Added transaction and the downloaded transactions will reflect the correct cash sources.
  • Jim_Harman
    T Rowe Price transactions are now downloading correctly, including all transactions since June 1.
  • The Merg
    The Merg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not so lucky. When I had it download transactions dated 9/23 today, they still downloaded as "Unidentified Security".

I also still have not heard back from the tech request I submitted back on 9/5.

- Merg
  • Jim_Harman
    @The Merg it sounds like your issue is different from the one being discussed here, which was that no transactions were being downloaded at all.

It sounds like your securities in Quicken may not be matched properly to the downloaded transactions, and I suggest you start a separate discussion about transactions downloaded as "Unidentified Security". 
This discussion has been closed.