Cannot add credit card accounts red circle/slash

Over the past few weeks, I had noticed that the data for several of my credit cards was not being downloaded. I went through each account and deactivated the online connection and attempted to set it back up again. All appears to have worked but each account has a red circle/slash beside it, with the note instructing me to attempt to connect again. I do so but the icon remains, and I cannot download data via the one step update until this is fixed. Any ideas?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Does the red circle/slash look like this (circled in blue)?:
    If so, it means the account is closed.  You can confirm this by going to the Display Options tab of Account Details.  If the account is closed it will say that (circled in blue).
    There is nothing you can do to reopen closed accounts.  Your options are:
    • Restore a recent backup file and see if the accounts are open or closed.  If they are closed, restore the next most recent backup file.  Keep working backward until you find a backup file in which the accounts are not closed and then you can use that restored file as your primary file going forward.
    • Or, you can try setting up the accounts, again, as new accounts (via Add Account).  Once the accounts have been added, again, you can move your old transactions from the closed accounts to the new accounts.  Then you can delete your closed accounts.  Or you can simply keep the old transactions in the closed accounts instead of moving them to the new accounts...they will still show up in reports and planning tools.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• shamrock_94
    shamrock_94 Member ✭✭
    The account is not closed. It is a faded red circle/slash and when I hover over it. "Quicken is unable to update your account. Click here to add your account again." When I click and add again, the same result
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The account is not closed. It is a faded red circle/slash and when I hover over it. "Quicken is unable to update your account. Click here to add your account again." When I click and add again, the same result

No matter what the status of the account is, in real life ... it's been closed in Quicken.
    Follow @Boatnmaniac's advice.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I have seen this before.

There is an error condition that will cause this even if the account isn't closed in Quicken.

On some kinds of failures to update Quicken puts the accounts this state, and if you click on the circle icon it you will see a prompt to fix it.  If the attempt fails it will stay in that state.  Given what you have said there is most likely some kind error on updating that account.

If you look at Tools -> One Step Update Summary it might give you more details.

Note I believe if it is really closed, the Close Account... button will be grayed out on the Tools -> Manage Hidden Accounts window. EDIT I see that looking the account details @Boatnmaniac is another way to see this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • shamrock_94
    shamrock_94 Member ✭✭
    It is not a closed account, If I deactivate the online download and then reestablish, the recent transactions will be downloaded, but the faint red circle/slash will reappear. Future one step updates will not pull new transactions. To get new data, I need to deactivate, and re-aactivate with the same result as before
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @shamrock_94

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you I need a few more details, specifically a screenshot. Having this would allow us to take a further look and get a better sense of the issue. 

For instructions on attaching a screenshot click here. Please note that you may need to drag the image file into the response box. 

Once more information is gathered we can move forward in diagnosing this issue. 

-Quicken Paloma 
  • shamrock_94
    shamrock_94 Member ✭✭
    After deactivating an account, I will reactivate it. Transactions will be downloaded but I see the red circle slash by the account. Clicking on the red circle slash I re-enter my login information to reconnect, and get the results in the second screenshot
  • shamrock_94
    shamrock_94 Member ✭✭
    and the circle slash remains
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I have experienced that same issue multiple times this week on my test setup on R34, R35, and R36.  Account is NOT closed - I was able to Reset the account and it would work fine for the initial and couple of subsequent updates, and then it would give an error.  Deactivate does nothing!  I believe there is some conflict authentication issue with the Quicken ID where I received errors CC-506 and CC-891 (your login information in Quicken is incorrect).  All of my 6 EWC accounts are impacted with this red circle.
    I also happen to have a second Quicken ID (Starter edition).  I logged out of my main ID and logged into my Starter ID and did an OSU and all accounts cleared and updated.  Logged back into my main ID and red circles reappeared!  This is only on my test system, now back on R36.  I have been scratching my head over this since Monday.  So far I "think" this is a Quicken ID issue for a few of us experiencing this.  But why and how to resolve it?
    My main setup on R32.12 works without issues but I am afraid to test anything on it.

[Adding] I have observed increased number of variety of credential related issues on the community this week on Win and Mac.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    I Experienced this earlier in the week, but somehow got past it. I just now tried Validating my file on 2 PC's and it fixed all accounts, on each PC. Try Validating!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I tried EVERYTHING one can imagine.  I think the issue is dataset-to-QID authentication conflict.  The only way I think I may have band-aided it was to rename the file to something completely different and it works for now (using Quicken copy which disconnects all accounts). In all cases I deleted the cloud datasets.
    The original file name was Latest-2021.  I "Quicken-copied" and renamed it to Latest-2, didn't work.  Renamed it to Latest, didn't work.  Finally renamed it to "Release.QDF" and it works for now.  In all cases I ensured there was a unique dataset name, datasetID and FileID.  I have no explanation or conclusion, perhaps coincidence.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    and the circle slash remains

@shamrock_94 ,  Is your Discover card connection setup as Direct Connect or Express Web Connect?  If setup as EWC, try changing the connection method to DC to see if that helps.

• shamrock_94
    shamrock_94 Member ✭✭
    @BK the Discover account is EWC, as are other CC/banking accounts. They seem to be all having the same issue, the Discover account was just an example. The investment accounts download fine, problem seem to be CC/bank related.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    @shamrock_94 , I suggest that you change Discover to DC.  It is a superior method of connection (always preferred when you have the option) and you will have one less error to deal with.
    Given that I also had the EXACT same issue as you with ALL of my EWC accounts, and renaming my datafile to something completely different resolved them, perhaps that is one thing you can try - using the File>Copy>Create a Copy function within Quicken which will deactivate ALL of your accounts.  A bit of work but may just help.  Your current file remains so you have nothing to lose.
    NOTE: First go to Preferences>Downloaded Transaction> and uncheck "Automatically Add to ..." to manage duplicates downloads since when you reactivate, some accounts will give you duplicates.
    There is no logic why this worked for me, but it did.  Our goal on this community is to help each other.  Please review my earlier comments and let us know.