Allow Quicken Title Bar to Show Selected Windows Title Bar Color

DonSmall
DonSmall Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
Please add the option to display Quicken's title bar in the color selected in Settings > Colors > Accent Color > Title bars and window colors. I typically set this to a darker blue to make it easier to determine the active window.
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something should definitely be changed because gray is NOT the color designating an active foreground window.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Quicken should follow Windows conventions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    For reasons of standardization and consistency, Quicken should follow Windows color conventions.  Why would this be beneficial to me ?  For the obvious (at least to me) reasons:  standardization and consistency; I have many windows (applications, file explorer, command prompts) open at any given time; since I don't have 1 monitor for each of those windows, many times the windows overlap.  Having a standard active \ inactive window title bar allows me to more easily see what I'm looking at \ for.  This has been the standard since at least WIndows 3.0.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    With Windows 11 this is even worse.  In Windows 11 if you hover over the maximize button you get a new snap control that allows you to quickly snap windows to certain locations.  The main reason that Quicken isn't follow the standard Windows conventions is because they have chosen to us a "fake main window" instead of the standard one provided by Microsoft.  As such they have to try reproduce all of the functionality that is already built into the standard main window and they are doing a poor job of that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dktz
    dktz Member ✭✭
    I am in agreement with this suggestion. Follow Windows conventions. Several users have stated the reasons already.
  • fda2f6fc
    fda2f6fc Member ✭✭
    Makes since to me. Got my vote.
  • Russ Donovan
    Russ Donovan Member ✭✭
    As it is, It's difficult to know which window is active. Please conform to the Windows standard!!!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I wonder why something so obvious hasn't been fixed yet …

• rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭

Let me ask the reverse question - Why does the quicken team (programmers, management, etc) think it is NOT a good idea to implement this idea ?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

It isn't that. It is the fact that what seems to be easy is actually harder than it looks because of the decisions that have been made by Microsoft and Quicken Inc. The coloring of the title bar is only one aspect of a bigger problem.

In order to support these controls in the main window's title bar:

They have created their own fake "main window" and overlaid on it top of the "real one". See, even though Microsoft does this very same thing, the standard libraries they put out for developers to use don't allow for controls like this. This means that any program that wants to emulate what Microsoft is doing has add code to handle all the different kinds of things like that the standard Windows libraries already handle like the color changes, and the functionality of the maximize button where it now displays options for snapping windows.

It isn't just a matter of "enabling it".

Microsoft has the advantage of access to the very developers/code that created the standard windows library and so they can change that code to add new controls or even have the developers totally rewrite it, but at the same time not make that available to the general public developers.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Add me to the list of those who want Quicken to follow Windows conventions. I just spent a precious part of my day trying to figure out how to make Quicken work in a split screen. I thought it was a bigger problem or that I had forgotten how to do it or something like that. I expect programs to act consistently so it didn't occur to me that Quicken was blazing their own trail. If this had happened with software from some teeny outfit, I might have thought that they were the problem, but Quicken is too big to do this kind of thing.