Chase is not producing investment OFX data correctly

Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
[Title edited to reflect further understanding of the problem - see below - JH]

Even though this problem is being reported in other threads, I have decided to post my own thread because I want to get right to the heart of the problem without the confusion/distraction of "other possible cases" that might be suggested.

The main problem is that investment positions comparisons in Quicken are reporting a difference between Quicken and what the financial institution is sending, "sometimes".

Here is the start of a compare of two updates.  At first glance one might say "look the security position information is missing on the right, that is the problem".  But in fact it is the one on the left that is gave the compare fail!

So we scroll some more.

As you can see the investment position information is in fact in the one on the right, just at the end of the main investment section instead of at the beginning section like it is on the left.

I have done lots of updates and checked this and even used different versions of Quicken.  Quicken isn't sending anything different, Chase is just randomly putting the information at a different spot.  There isn't anything in the OFX standard that says that these sections have to be in a certain order.  But clearly Quicken is coded to so that it expects this data to be at the end of the investment data. 

[removed - confirmed to be inaccurate later in the thread]
Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The OFX standard does state that the definition of each message set may prescribe an order of its messages within the message set and the definition of Investment Statement Response message does appear to be specified with the order Quicken expects.

Chase should correct their OFX generation.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The OFX standard does state that the definition of each message set may prescribe an order of its messages within the message set and the definition of Investment Statement Response message does appear to be specified with the order Quicken expects.

Chase should correct their OFX generation.
    Thank you, I stand corrected, I didn't dig into the standard enough.

Well, we know where the problem is.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the title of this thread should be "Chase is not producing investment OFX data correctly", correct?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    So the title of this thread should be "Chase is not producing investment OFX data correctly", correct?
    Yes, that would be helpful.

It would also be nice to correct my assumption about it being a Quicken bug in the original post.  I would add a correction and point out that I was corrected below, but I can’t edit it since it has been over a day since I posted it.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I changed the title, and BTW thanks for figuring this out.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Yes, that would be helpful.

It would also be nice to correct my assumption about it being a Quicken bug in the original post.  I would add a correction and point out that I was corrected below, but I can’t edit it since it has been over a day since I posted it.
    Hi @Chris_QPW

Thank you for sharing your observations and the screenshots of the OFX data.  While we have determined that the issue lies with the way Chase is generating the OX data, I'd like to open a ticket with our teams to ensure we are working with Chase to correct this.

Would you be willing to submit a "Report a Problem" with your log files?  If so, please just reply here and let me know once they've been sent.

Thanks so much!

Sarah
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah Done.  Thank your Sarah.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Sarah
    @Chris_QPW - Thank you!

We've submitted a ticket with the teams to investigate this further and I will be back to share any updates and/or the solution once available.

Sarah

(CTP-2909)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is a fun one.  I can do the security compare in one account and it says it matches, and do it in another and it says that Chase has zero shares.  Then do any update, and the two compares reverse, where the first has zero and the second matches.
    Signature:
  • mgibson4997
    mgibson4997 Member ✭✭
    Exactly my experience the last several weeks.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Chris_QPW

You said "It is a fun one.".  I would just note that you idea of "fun" is waaaaaay different from mine, and my definition is pretty lame...

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mgibson4997
    mgibson4997 Member ✭✭
    Sarah if you are monitoring I have something to add. I am not techy so understand this may not be relevant. I have several accounts containing Chase securities. I have some that do not report mismatches and others that report EVERY security is a mismatch. I discovered if I go to Tools/Online Center/Account (and choose an account)/Holdings some show all securities and some show nothing. It would appear that that is where the securities are compared. This may change after an update and an account shows "holdings" and one that showed "holdings" before now show none and mismatches are reported. This may not help but I want to disclose anyway. Thanks
  • Quicken Sarah
    Sarah if you are monitoring I have something to add. I am not techy so understand this may not be relevant. I have several accounts containing Chase securities. I have some that do not report mismatches and others that report EVERY security is a mismatch. I discovered if I go to Tools/Online Center/Account (and choose an account)/Holdings some show all securities and some show nothing. It would appear that that is where the securities are compared. This may change after an update and an account shows "holdings" and one that showed "holdings" before now show none and mismatches are reported. This may not help but I want to disclose anyway. Thanks
    Hello @mgibson4997

Thank you for sharing that additional information!  I'll include that with the ticket we opened so they are aware and hopefully will aid in their investigation :)

Sarah
  • Any updates from Chase on the case ? Not able to download any investment info from Chase.com until this gets fixed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any updates from Chase on the case ? Not able to download any investment info from Chase.com until this gets fixed.
    If you are having problems downloading transactions, you are having a different problem.

The problem described here is the "compare after".  In other words I'm getting transactions just fine, but what happens is that when the Quicken does the compare to what it has and what is sent by Chase, it shows a difference when it there really isn't one.  And the reason for that is because since Chase is putting the data in the wrong place sometimes, Quicken reads that as zero shares for all securities.

So basically what I'm doing right now for this problem is ignoring the Quicken compare and do the comparison of the number of shares myself.
    Signature:
  • mgibson4997
    mgibson4997 Member ✭✭
    The issue of mismatched securities appears to have been fixed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The issue of mismatched securities appears to have been fixed.
    I agree, it seems to be fixed.  I updated twice for 5 accounts and they all are matching correctly.
    Signature:
  • grah32
    grah32 Member
    I continue to have the same problem: no problem with downloads but some Chase investment accounts show 0 shares for common stocks in those accounts. Other accounts with mutual funds are OK. Any progress in resolving this issue with chase?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @grah32 I haven't had any problems with my accounts since November 12th.

Are you talking about the comparison being wrong, or do your accounts actually show zero shares in the account?

If it is the later, check to make sure you didn't accept any Placeholders that zeroed out your shares in your account.
    Signature:
  • Quicken Sarah
    Hello all,

I just received confirmation that this issue has been fixed.  We appreciate your patience and thank you again for reporting this to the community.

Sarah
  • mcphear
    mcphear Member ✭✭
    I am still having problems with automatic downloads from Chase. Have to go to Chase website and download individually from there for each account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mcphear said:
    I am still having problems with automatic downloads from Chase. Have to go to Chase website and download individually from there for each account.
    You should select New Post at the top right of this web page and put in as much details as you can of what problem you are having this thread isn't about not being able to download transactions from Chase.  It is about getting the wrong share balances at times for the comparison of what is in Quicken vs what Chase says.  And this problem has been fixed.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.