How to tranfer data

Best Answers

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm curious what you think you'll see differently in Quicken 2017 than in Quicken 2014?

Since both versions have terminated online services, there is basically no functional difference between the two year versions.  You can't download transactions in either, download security prices, the tax planner is out of date in both.

However, you DO lose some functionality by going from Premier to Starter.  For example, Starter Edition does not support investment type accounts, you can't use tags and really just has basic functionality.  

If it was me and if I had to consider moving to a new laptop, I'd just re-install Quicken 2014 Premier on the laptop and copy over your current data file.  There is no advantage in moving to 2017 and only disadvantages moving to the Starter Edition.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Can I transfer my q2014 premier files to a new Q2014 starter version?
    I have my current q2014 premier files on my desktop computer. I want to set up q2017 starter version on my new laptop.
    You may not be able to open a Quicken 2014 Premier file with Quicken 2014 Starter or Quicken 2017 Starter.  As I recall, the ability of Quicken Starter to open non-Starter Quicken files was added with the introduction of the subscription model (after Quicken 2017).

Answers

• Can I transfer my q2014 premier files to a new Q2014 starter version?
    I have my current q2014 premier files on my desktop computer. I want to set up q2017 starter version on my new laptop.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a backup on your desktop, probably to a USB drive or such, and RESTORE to the laptop.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm curious what you think you'll see differently in Quicken 2017 than in Quicken 2014?

Since both versions have terminated online services, there is basically no functional difference between the two year versions.  You can't download transactions in either, download security prices, the tax planner is out of date in both.

However, you DO lose some functionality by going from Premier to Starter.  For example, Starter Edition does not support investment type accounts, you can't use tags and really just has basic functionality.  

If it was me and if I had to consider moving to a new laptop, I'd just re-install Quicken 2014 Premier on the laptop and copy over your current data file.  There is no advantage in moving to 2017 and only disadvantages moving to the Starter Edition.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    You may not be able to open a Quicken 2014 Premier file with Quicken 2014 Starter or Quicken 2017 Starter.  As I recall, the ability of Quicken Starter to open non-Starter Quicken files was added with the introduction of the subscription model (after Quicken 2017).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    I agree it will be blocked.  The only way would be to first delete any accounts that have account types that aren't supported by the Starter Edition.  Here are the supported account types.

Note in the case of Quicken Subscription, it allows opening a data file with account types it doesn't support, but makes them read-only.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I have successfully transferred my Q14 files to my laptop. But now I cannot print anything from my Quicken program. I can print from all other programs on my laptop but not from Quicken. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have successfully transferred my Q14 files to my laptop. But now I cannot print anything from my Quicken program. I can print from all other programs on my laptop but not from Quicken. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?
    If you installed a version of Quicken prior to the Quicken Subscription and haven't already, I suggest you download and apply the appropriate update patch from: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have successfully transferred my Q14 files to my laptop. But now I cannot print anything from my Quicken program. I can print from all other programs on my laptop but not from Quicken. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Hi @"rustytbird63 ,

You have included your problem, but no information on the printer or anything else. Post back with additional details, so solutions offered, won;t make matters worst.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.