Transaction Splits By Percentage (+5 Merged Votes)

Jamnation
Jamnation Member ✭✭

Hello,

I am a very happy and loyal Quicken user.  Please PLEASE add the following feature:  Transaction Splits by PERCENTAGE

It would be SO helpful to be able to assign a memorized percentage split for transactions.  Here is an example of what and why...

I have a home business and would like to allocate expenses to multiple categories.  

Internet/Phone Bill:  50% Personal & 50% Business

City Power/Sewer:  70% Personal & 30% Business

Rent/Mortgage:  70% Personal & 30% Business

Auto Expenses:  50% Personal & 50% Business

Groceries:  90% Personal & 10% Business

Apple Music:  75% Personal & 25% Business

Etc, etc, etc...

Many of these bills vary in amount due each month.  To have to calculate and manually enter currency amounts seems like an undue burden, especially since so many other aspects of a transaction can be memorized.  

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Do you think this is possible and could be implemented in a future (or current!) release?

Thanks so much for your time!

Chris

12 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jamnation
    Jamnation Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hello,

I am a very happy and loyal Quicken user. Please PLEASE add the following feature: Transaction Splits by PERCENTAGE

It would be SO helpful to be able to assign a memorized percentage split for transactions. Here is an example of what and why...

I have a home business and would like to allocate expenses to multiple categories.

• Internet/Phone Bill: 50% Personal & 50% Business
    • City Power/Sewer: 70% Personal & 30% Business
    • Rent/Mortgage: 70% Personal & 30% Business
    • Auto Expenses: 50% Personal & 50% Business
    • Groceries: 90% Personal & 10% Business
    • Apple Music: 75% Personal & 25% Business
    • Etc, etc, etc...

Many of these bills vary in amount due each month. To have to calculate and manually enter currency amounts seems like an undue burden, especially since so many other aspects of a transaction can be memorized.

Thoughts? Ideas? Do you think this is possible and could be implemented in a future (or current!) release?

Thanks so much for your time!

Chris
  • Paul13
    Paul13 Member ✭✭
    Would be very helpful enhancement
  • totally agree - I think this is what I miss most from Quicken for Windows
  • brdjrdn
    brdjrdn Member
    100% in agreement.
  • brdjrdn
    brdjrdn Member
    This would be a huge improvement based on how I use Quicken.
  • buleohara
    buleohara Member
    A must have, please add!
  • dthea1
    dthea1 Member ✭✭
    Windows version does this! Please add!!!
  • Steve_Calif
    Steve_Calif Member ✭✭

This is long overdue. It's a must-have. Example use case: We shop a lot at Costco. Typical or average purchase is 60% groceries, 20% clothes, and 20% pet food and supplies. It's a pain to have to split each transaction manually. I'd much rather have Quicken memorize my splits and apply them. Then, I can adjust them afterwards if I want to.

• CatK
    CatK Member

I used this in Quicken for Windows. Now need it in Quicken for Windows.

Please implement!

• Steve_Calif
    Steve_Calif Member ✭✭

Quicken Team — please review this suggestion. It's frustrating that nobody seems to review these and nobody comments on them.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@Steve_Calif Let me explain a bit about how the Quicken folks use these Idea topics. First, the developers never post comments in these discussions. The only feedback they give us is if/when an Idea changes status to "Planned" (or infrequently, "Not Planned".)

But first, an Idea thread must reach a critical mass of votes in order to be send to the developers to dive into for consideration. The problem is that there are hundreds of worthy feature requests, and the small Mac development team can only work on a handful of projects at a time. So they use voting on this forum as one of their criteria in deciding which features to consider, to prioritize, and to actually work on building.

For Mac topics, the voting threshold is currently 30 votes. This topic currently has 16 votes (11 in the yellow box, plus 5 votes noted in the subject line from posts merged into this one). When an Idea reaches 30 votes, the moderator team here submits the thread to the development team, and the status changes to "Under Consideration". They evaluate whether they think it's a worthwhile feature, how big an impact they think it would have on the user base, whether there are impacts on the mobile app/web interface which is shared with Quicken Windows, whether it advances feature parity with the Windows version, whether it impacts parts of the program where they already have other scheduled projects, how much time they expect it would take to design and implement, which developers skills are needed (database, user interface, connectivity services, reports, etc.), and when they could slot it into their calendar for the required people and time. At that point, once it's on the schedule, the status here changes to "Planned".

I understand that this is an important feature for you. Unfortunately, it hasn't gained a lot of voting support from fellow users. That doesn't mean it isn't a good or worthwhile idea. Or that it won't get done eventually. But it needs more votes from fellow users to advance to the next stage of consideration. (Although sometimes, an Idea which has a small number of votes gets implemented without even being marked Under Consideration or Planned, because it's been something on the developers' own list of desired features, or because of input from their Customer Support team that it's been a problem area generating a significant number of calls.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Steve_Calif
    Steve_Calif Member ✭✭

@Jacobs Thanks for good explanation!