Moving Quicken Mac 2017 from current MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Pro

QuickPeter
QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
I’d like to know what is the easiest and safest way to move my Quicken 2017 files from my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) to the latest MacBook Pro (probably a 2021 MacBook Pro 16’’ M1 Pro Processor).

QuickPeter

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The key to moving Quicken data files between Macs is to compress them first. in the Finder, click on a data file and select File > Compress, which will result in a .zip file. Move the .zip file to the new Mac. (You can do this for as many different data files as you have.) Once on the new Mac, just double-click a .zip file to uncompress it.

You may also want to move your Quicken Backups folder to the new Mac, so you don't lose your history of backups should you ever need them. Files ending in.quickenbackup are already compressed, so you don't need to make them into .zip files. 

If you're asking about how to physically move the files, as long as they are compressed, you can move them in any way you can transfer a file between two Macs.
    • If both machines are running and nearby, you can use Airdrop.
    • You can copy the files to a flash drive to move between the computers.
    • You can turn on file sharing on one Mac to be able to send or pull files between the two computers.
    • You can upload to a cloud storage service like iCloud or Dropbox from the old computer, and then connect and download on the new computer.
    • You could email the files to yourself, and open the emails on the new computer to pull in the file attachments. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    QuickPeter said:
    I’d like to know what is the easiest and safest way to move my Quicken 2017 files from my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) to the latest MacBook Pro (probably a 2021 MacBook Pro 16’’ M1 Pro Processor).

QuickPeter
    Hello @QuickPeter,

Thank you for contacting us at the Quicken Community regarding this matter. Are you looking for recommendations regarding external drives or cloud storage services in which to move the files? Also, are you hoping to continue using Quicken 2017, or did you want to convert to the most recent update of the Quicken Mac software made available through the subscription?

We look forward to discussing this with you further.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs, it's great to hear from you again.

I think your response gives me all I need to know, and more.   Many thanks.
    I'd really like to have a go using Airdrop.  I'd forgotten we have that great function available to us.

Just a couple of things, although I've asked RickO and the others this before I think, how do I navigate to and identify my current data file?   Are there any other files I need to transfer to the new machine.

QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭

Quicken Jared, thanks for your input on this one.
    You will have seen jacobs excellent response to my query.

I'm content with Quicken 2017 for Mac at the moment thanks.
    I'm in the UK and I can't use the bill paying and other functionality that you use over there.

Incidentally, jacobs told me a while back that Speyer97? is also still using 2017.  
    Does jacobs know if he still is?

QuickPeter
  • Quicken Jared
    jacobs, it's great to hear from you again.

I think your response gives me all I need to know, and more.   Many thanks.
    I'd really like to have a go using Airdrop.  I'd forgotten we have that great function available to us.

Just a couple of things, although I've asked RickO and the others this before I think, how do I navigate to and identify my current data file?   Are there any other files I need to transfer to the new machine.

QuickPeter
    @QuickPeter,              

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this with us further. In order to identify and locate the data file you are currently using, you would go to File > Show "(file name will be here)" in Finder in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. This option should be just below Move To and just above Save a Backup. It is here that Quicken will show you what the file is named and where it is located. 

Feel free to check back in with any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 

• jacobs
    Another way to see your file name and locate your file is to click on the red Q logo on the upper right side of the main Quicken window. It shows your file name and has a link you can click to Show in Finder.

If you switch among more than one Quicken data file, another useful trick is in Preferences > General: check the box to Show file name in title bar. This displays your file name in the center top of the main Quicken window, which is useful if you switch files and want to make sure you're in the correct one.

You also asked about any other files you need to move to the new machine. All you need is the Quicken.app program in your Applications folder and you data file(s). Assuming you have been having Quicken 2017 generating backup files when you quit, I'd also recommend moving your backup folder to the new machine, so you still have those backups available should you need them. Unless you've changed the default backup file location, it's in the same Quicken 2017 folder as your data file.

Incidentally, jacobs told me a while back that Speyer97? is also still using 2017.  
    Does jacobs know if he still is?

It's "smayer97", but he was — and still is — using the legacy Quicken 2007, not Quicken 2017. But there are certainly other Quicken Mac users who have stayed with Quicken 2017 to avoid moving onto the annual subscription program. I've seen a couple reports recently of problems Quicken 2017 users running macOS Monterey have encountered, but I'm not sure if there's a widespread problem with the old program and the new operating system. You should reconcile yourself to the fact that at some point, Apple's changes may require you to upgrade to the current version of Quicken. (If/when that happens, even though you don't download transactions, you will get 3+ years of programming enhancements and bug fixes, some of which might prove useful.) For what it's worth, I enter my transactions manually and don't use Quicken's bill payment features, but I still consider the annual cost worthwhile for what I get from Quicken.  
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Jared, thanks for that.

I think when you said " ... you would go to File > Show "(file name will be here)" in Finder ...", you meant in Quicken, right?

QuickPeter
  • Quicken Jared
    Jared, thanks for that.

I think when you said " ... you would go to File > Show "(file name will be here)" in Finder ...", you meant in Quicken, right?

QuickPeter
    @QuickPeter

My pleasure! :) And yes, be sure that the Quicken app is open on the screen in order to produce those menu options.

Let me know if you have any other comments or questions.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs, "Another way to see your file name and locate your file is to click on the red Q logo..."
    I can't see that red Q logo.  I'm not sure what you mean by "the main Quicken window".  
    The screen showing all my accounts?

"another useful trick is in Preferences > General: check the box to Show file name in title bar."
    Yes, somehow I must have set this up a long time ago.  Very useful and re-assuring although I'm not a power-user like you and just have one data file.

"any other files you need to move to the new machine."
    Yes, I can see that Quicken.app program in my Application folder.   In fact I have two, 2016 and 2017

Yes, every time I quit, Quicken tells me it's backing up.
    I'll definitely moving my backup folder to the new machine when the time comes.
    I've found my data file (11MB) but I can't see the Quicken 2017 folder.  How do I navigate to that?  Will I actually see my backup file(s)?

"reports recently of problems Quicken 2017 users running macOS Monterey have encountered, .."
    macOS Monterey was released here in October 2021
    I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and "About this Mac" is telling me "Your Mac is up to date".
    So maybe my 2012 MacBook Pro can't run Monterey?

You've convinced me that I need to move to an annual subscription program, now not later.
    It's interesting that like me you enter your transactions manually.

Do you think Jared is a Quicken employee?
    If so, I'll ask him if he sees any obstacles in upgrading from 2017 to the current version, given that I'm in the UK.  
    I upgraded last time to 2017 via a CD-ROM.  I think they've stopped doing that now.

QuickPeter

btw smayer97, I'll try and remember that next time  :-)

• Quicken Jared
    jacobs, "Another way to see your file name and locate your file is to click on the red Q logo..."
    I can't see that red Q logo.  I'm not sure what you mean by "the main Quicken window".  

"another useful trick is in Preferences > General: check the box to Show file name in title bar."
    Yes, somehow I must have set this up a long time ago.  Very useful and re-assuring although I'm not a power-user like you and just have one data file.

"any other files you need to move to the new machine."
    Yes, I can see that Quicken.app program in my Application folder.   In fact I have two, 2016 and 2017

Yes, every time I quit, Quicken tells me it's backing up.
    I'll definitely moving my backup folder to the new machine when the time comes.
    I've found my data file (11MB) but I can't see the Quicken 2017 folder.  How do I navigate to that?  Will I actually see my backup file(s)?

"reports recently of problems Quicken 2017 users running macOS Monterey have encountered, .."
    macOS Monterey was released here in October 2021
    I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and "About this Mac" is telling me "Your Mac is up to date".

You've convinced me that I need to move to an annual subscription program, now not later.

If so, I'll ask him if he sees any obstacles in upgrading from 2017 to the current version, given that I'm in the UK.  
    I upgraded last time to 2017 via a CD-ROM.  I think they've stopped doing that now.

QuickPeter

btw smayer97, I'll try and remember that next time  :-)

@QuickPeter,

I will respond to the question directed to me, exclusively, although I welcome the continued discussion. Converting from 2017 to the current version of the Quicken Subscription software should be relatively straightforward.

You would simply install the software from Quicken.com and then you will be prompted by a screen saying 'Let's Get Started' to select from one of several options. One of these would be Start from a Quicken for Mac 2015, 2016, or 2017 file. You would then select the file you wish to convert from and proceed through the steps to set up the application in its newest version. One note: be sure to move the 2017 data file onto your computer and do not open it from any form of cloud storage service or external drive. 

I appreciate your patience and your support of the Quicken Community, and we hope to hear more from you in the future.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    Yes, the screen with the left sidebar and menus across the top (as opposed to a secondary window you open for an account or report). Oh geez, wait, I forgot you're still running Quicken 2017! My apologies. This is something which was added subsequent to Quicken 2017. FYI: here's what I'm talking about in the current version:

You probably have no need to keep Quicken 2016 around any longer since you've been using Quicken 2017 for years; on the other hand, it's doing no harm sitting there. 

The easiest way to see where your data file lives in Quicken 2017 is to hold the Command key and click the little red Q to the left of your file name in the top bar of the Quicken window, to reveal a drop-down menu:

From bottom to top, this shows my file here is on my iMac, on my main Macintosh HD drive, in the Users folder called home, in the Library > Application Support > Quicken 2017 > Documents folder. you can click on that menu on any of those levels to open it in the Finder. In this case, pull down and release on Quicken 2017. You'll see folders for Logs, Downloads, Documents, and Backups.

If Backups is not present here, then you have changed the location of your backups. Go to Quicken Preferences > General, and click on the Backup Folder button at the bottom; this will show you exactly where your backup folder is living.

Once you find it in the Finder, you should see Automatic Backups folder inside the Backups folder, and inside that, all the backups Quicken generates when you quit. 

Ah, yes. I think the end of the line for 2012 MacBook Pros is Catalina. The successor to Catalina, Big Sur, only runs on Late 2013 MacBook Pros and beyond. The successor to Big Sur, Monterey, requires an Early 2015 MacBook Pro or later. 

You should be able to still run Quicken 2017 to the best of my knowledge; I was only noting that there have been a few scattered reports I've seen about issues with Quicken 2017 and Monterey. I would think the outcry would have been louder if everyone still running Quicken 2017 was blocked when Monterey came out, but I can't tell for sure. That's why I was saying to be prepare to upgrade to the latest version at some point, whether it's now or after some future Apple OS update causes issues with the older Quicken software.

Jared does work on behalf of Quicken, as does anyone on this site whose screen name begins with "Quicken". (I don't want to mischaracterize by labeling him as a "Quicken employee", as I believe the moderators on this site, as well as some of the Quicken Support call center representatives, work for a third-party company under contract to Quicken.) 

As he wrote above, updating from Quicken 2017 to the current Quicken is simple and fast. Install the new version, log in, select that you're starting from a Quicken 2017 data file, select that data file, and it will import/update your data and you'll be up and running on the current Quicken Mac. (Your most difficult step may be the purchasing of the subscription itself, since it assumes you will have a US or Canadian address; you may actually have to provide such a fake address to complete the purchase.) Note that Quicken Mac (no longer with a year label) and Quicken 2017 are separate programs, so you can actually still run Quicken 2017 — even at the same time as running the current version, although they tend to take up most of the screen — should you need to after installing the current versions and creating your new, updated data file. This can be useful if you need to switch back and forth to verify your account balances. But since the update from Quicken 2017 to the current version is relatively modest, you shouldn't miss a beat with your data update. 

There are still boxed CD versions sold in some places in the US, but there's really not need for one. All the CD does nowadays is force the latest updated version to download to your Mac as soon as you start it. So you might as well just purchase a digital download and download it without the CD as an intermediary.

Best wishes!
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Jared & jacobs, I’ve got a lot to read and get my head around here. 

Thank you both very much.

I’ll get back asap.
    I feel like I’ve stumbled into a personal masterclass delivered by jacobs!
    I’m learning so much here.

In the meantime, could Jared let me know how I would pay for the upgrade please.  
    As jacobs observed in his last post, I’ve not got a USA address.

QuickPeter
  • Quicken Jared
    Jared & jacobs, I’ve got a lot to read and get my head around here. 

Thank you both very much.

I’ll get back asap.
    I feel like I’ve stumbled into a personal masterclass delivered by jacobs!
    I’m learning so much here.

In the meantime, could Jared let me know how I would pay for the upgrade please.  
    As jacobs observed in his last post, I’ve not got a USA address.

QuickPeter
    @QuickPeter,

I see what you mean. In this case, the first option would be to change the regional settings in your computer by going to Apple Icon > System Preferences > Language & Region. This should allow you to download and install the software as you would if you were a resident of the US or Canada.

It may also be beneficial to speak with support over the phone to make a purchase. Here is the link where you may find the contact information necessary to do this: 

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Jared, that's very helpful, thanks.

I'll try contacting support first via the link you gave me.

Thanks again,   QuickPeter
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭

jacobs, I’m comfortable now with all the knowledge and tips you’ve imparted.  Thank you very much.

I won’t list everything we’ve discussed, but be assured that I’ve studied all you’ve said very carefully and believe I can now navigate myself around to find the app, data and backup files.

Thanks for taking the time to produce that screen graphic.

I’ve deleted my Quicken 2016 app as you suggested (saved me a grand total of 75.4MB, every little helps). It's amazing that such a great app uses such a relatively little file isn't it?  The Quicken 2017 is even smaller.)

Re. the question of me completing the purchase/registering a subscription, I came across this today:

NEW 1/12/22 New Canada Users Unable to Purchase, the form asks for Zip Code

nLEHSA0EZV5QOjpg

Quicken Anja Moderator mod

January 12 edited January 12

New Canada customers are unable to complete their purchase of Quicken from the www.quicken.ca website because the purchasing form requires a Zip Code and will not accept a Postal Code.

The only workaround currently is for Canada customers to enter fake address information with a US Zip Code. Alternatively, customers can call Quicken Support directly to have their order placed over the phone.

Our teams are aware of this issue and are working towards a solution, though we do not have an ETA available at this time. 

To be notified of updates as they become available, please click the bookmark ribbon located in the top-right.

Thank you!

(Ticket #9140509/CTP-2573)

-Quicken Anja “

You may have seen it because you mentioned it in your recent post.

Do we have a “Personal Message” function on the Quicken Community forum?   There is a confidential matter that I’d like to share with you.

I'll purchase a subscription this week.   I'll let you know how I get on.

QuickPeter

• QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Jared & jacobs, just to let you know, I've just upgraded to Quicken De Luxe today.
    Quite straightforward, just like you said.

The screen is a bit of a change from Quicken 2017 but I know I'll get used to it.

QuickPeter
  • jacobs
    Glad you got updated successfully! The interface changes are not manor, so you'll get used to them pretty quickly.

You might find it useful to take a quick read through what's been changed/added in Quicken since your 2017 version. Go to this link for the Quicken Mac Release Notes, and read from the bottom up. This page encompasses everything from the first subscription (aka 2018) release up until today. 
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs, thanks for that link, very useful to me.

I've been wrestling with getting the free Quicken 5GB Dropbox offer to work.
    It looks like I've got to wait a couple of days for the box where I put my voucher code to show up in the Quicken My Account, Dropbox section.
    Oh boy.  I hope it's worth the effort    smile:
  • jacobs
    If you have problems with the Dropbox offer, I suggest you reach out to Quicken Support, as neither the fellow Quicken users or the Quicken moderators are likely to be able to help with that issue. 
  • QuickPeter
    QuickPeter Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks.  I'm confident I'll be able to get it to work.
This discussion has been closed.