Why doesn't my Q show who the bnk.Chrg.was made to when I dn/ld my xactions

When I view my account on line it will show who the Bnk. Chrg. was made to, but when I dn/ld my account into Q. it only shows it was on my Bnk. Crd. and not who it was made to. I have to revert to the online Statement to see who the pmt. was made to. Is that a short coming on Q's part or my bank ?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first suspect in this scenario would be a misguided Renaming Rule which renames all (or most) downloaded transactions to an incorrect Payee Name. In that case, delete the Renaming Rule. Manually review and accept all downloaded transactions, making changes to Payee Name and Category as needed BEFORE you save the downloaded transaction into your register.

If it's not a Renaming Rule, can you provide more details, please? I would like see what's downloaded, what it should be and what it actually turns into. What's the name of the bank you're having these issues with?

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    Please be patient as I am not computer literate. I am guessing I have to print then scan and attach the info requested and send it to the https address in this communication.
  • Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    Okay I've figured out the snip and cut. If you need any more clear postings just ask. It shouldn't take so long to respond next time.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your bank is formatting the info incorrectly ... and is showing (for example) "5342" as the payee.
    What bank is this, and what method do you use to connect to them?  Do TOOLS, Account List and look in the "Transactions Download" column for the payee info.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    The bank is "Peoples Bank & Trust Co.-Tn." no affiliation to any other bank. The digits signify the charge was on my bank card as opposed to my wife's. My instructions by the bank (because I was having trouble) was to use the "update now" in the far right hand corner on the account page. Only way I am able to get an update. Looking in the "Transaction Download" I have no payee info option.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what shows at TOOLS, Account List.  Since you ARE downloading (apparently via Web Connect) it MUST show something there.
    And, is this actually "People's Bank and Trust Company" in Byrdstown?  Because no "People's Bank and Trust Co ~ TN" is known to Quicken.

• Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    You must find the find the People's Bank & Trust Co. with the dash TN. like the - CT for Connecticut.
    I have it on my version. I searched the Tools, Account List. and even opened to the "options" in the lower L.H. corner of the page and no Payee options
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in your graphic shows the bank name ... just the account names.  AND, that you're downloading via Express Web Connect.
    Try narrowing down the columns, so as to show the bank name, and try again.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also "payee" won't be in the account list ... but only in the individual account registers.  In that Options box, in the lower LH corner, check "Show Financial Institution".

• Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    I did some HELP research and found that in order to rename a payee there needs to be a payee posted by the bank. So since my bank doesn't provide me with that info. I am stuck with where I am. I have to Dn/LD my end of the month statement and manually match the transactions in Quicken with the payee's from the Statement. Thank you for your effort. I am sorry we couldn't come to a solution but I see that it isn't a quicken issue rather an issue with my bank.
    Regards
    Charles J. Hills
  • Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    With regard to my lower left corner on my Checking Account page I have no options Icon.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    With regard to my lower left corner on my Checking Account page I have no options Icon.
    He was referring to the lower left of the Account List window:
    Ctrl+A -> Options

Note you can find the same information by going to the account register and typing: Ctrl+Shift+E.

Also, I think the best approach to this problem is to start with what Quicken saw as the downloaded payee, and probably the memo too just in case information is in it.
    In the register, select the top icon shown to bring up the menu to turn on the columns.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Matrixtoolllc
    Matrixtoolllc Member ✭✭
    Okay, I clicked on the buttons you indicated on the options as you can see in "capture 8"; I dn/ld my account and 6 new transactions were entered. As you can see no improvement. Not even the categories are correct. I went a step further and in "Capture 10 you can see I have the correct boxes checked to show the payee on dn/ld's. So digging in my help section I further checked the box in Capture 12 "reference" and then added the names to the payee in the register and had Quicken memorize the payee. I can only hope this will work next time around. Capture 13 shows the reference given to the payee. Keeping my fingers cross. I won't know really if it works until I get a recurring bill with the payee automatically added.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    OK, I have labeled the columns to make it easier to see what is what:

Quicken can only work with what it is given.  Here you see that for the payee (downloaded) it is given "POS Debit Recurring", which is basically useless.  For the Downloaded Memo it was given "5342", again pretty useless.

The way Quicken works is it looks at the Downloaded Payee and if it matches a renaming rule it rename the payee to that.  Renaming rules can look in both the Downloaded Payee and the Downloaded memo to decide on what to rename the payee too.  And I see that effect here it took "- Recurring" from the Downloaded Payee and 5342 from the Downloaded memo and created a rule that changed the payee to - Recurring 5342.  Note it created this rule automatically because you have that setting on.

Now "- Recurring 5342" is pretty useless payee name, but if you are expecting something like Walgreens as from here:

You aren't going to get it, because that isn't what the financial institution sent.

And as for categorizing the transaction, once Quicken has a payee it looks it up in the Memorized Payee list, and if it finds the payee there it uses its category.  If it isn't in the memorized payee list then it makes a guess at it (provided that you have the "Automatic Categorize" option on, which you do), mostly by what the downloaded payee name is, but also sometimes from information that is provided by the financial institution.

I see that the connection type is Express Web Connect.

That means that Quicken Inc is paying their aggregator Intuit to fetch the data from your financial institution using an "agreed method".  As such it is hard to pin down if the problem is with how Intuit is fetching the data, or just what the financial institution is providing.  But in any case, your next step in my opinion is to try to get Quicken Support to escalate this problem to their "scripts team" to work with these parties to get the payee information downloaded correctly.
    Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.