Investment Register slow to open due to searching for matching transactions [edited]

Robert Sheran
Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
During On Step update, or when opening a Investment acct registry, Quicken app intermittently times out or takes unusually long time to update transactions or when opening registry. During this prolonged period of spinning wheel there are 3-4 consecutive process progress windows that open "Looking for matching Transactions". There is no obvious missing transactions when manually compared to banking source.

All other Investment acct. registries, Banking registries,etc. are processing updates and opening normally.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a screen capture of that error message? I don't believe I've ever seen it reported previously. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Sorry for delay, Again only 1 of 4 investment acct is affected. All other acct types are OK. During One Step Update the app seems to take too long to process bank updates and displays a work in progress window "Looking for missing Transactions" 3-4 multiple consecutive times before completing the update cycle. Also when ever I attempt to open the acct registry to view transactions there is a long pause (hour glass cursor) that last for up to 1 full minute before registry opens. On occasion I also will get odd "Enter Valid Date" but the current transaction date line is correct.

• mshiggins
    Thanks for the screen capture - it was helpful. The pause is occurring when searching for matching transactions. Edited tiitle and post to reflect that and asked moderator to move the discussion to the investiment category as this is specific to an investment register. 

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify: @Robert Sheran in your previous post you mentioned bank updates and "Looking for missing transactions." 

This is actually "looking for matching transactions" with an investing account, right?

Is your investing account's Transaction list (register) sorted by something other than the date? I can imagine that if it were not in the normal date order it might take some time to find transactions that match the downloaded transactions. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    To clarify: @Robert Sheran in your previous post you mentioned bank updates and "Looking for missing transactions." 

This is actually "looking for matching transactions" with an investing account, right?

Is your investing account's Transaction list (register) sorted by something other than the date? I can imagine that if it were not in the normal date order it might take some time to find transactions that match the downloaded transactions. 
    Screen capture shows searching for matching transactions. 

I was assuming this was during transaction downloading and that possibly the impacted investment account had a large number of transactions. 

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    sorry, you are correct. pop up is for "matching transactions" not "missing transaction".
    BTW I am on Deluxe version R37.67 Build 27.1.37.67
    During One Step Update after all acct transactions are processed>completed during the banking query phase, but before the One Step's final completion window opens to end the update process, there is this annoying popup Looking for matching transactions related to the same investment acct registry and it repeats 3 consecutive times. During some events the matching transactions process will "stop responding" for up to 1 minute before revival, and a few events resulted in Quicken Application shutting down unexpectedly.
    During normal workflow when I open the investment registry for this acct. There is a lengthy delay for approx 1 minute with hourglass cursor before the registry actually opens. This happens consistently now.
    per your comments,The affected acct does have about 8 years of investment transactions sorted by date. The other investment accts are similar in # of transactions but have a minimal delay <10 sec. before opening. I hope this is not some database size limitation within Quicken. Thanks for your support.
  • Jim_Harman
    Please go to Tools > Account list. Click on Options at the bottom and select Show number of transactions if it is not already selected.

How many transactions are in the problem account and in the one that has better performance?
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Show # of transactions is selected, affected acct has 3153 transactions, the next highest investment acct shows 2888, Thanks for your support
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow performance?

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.
    Skip that, you've answered this already.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    • I have no banking/Credit/investment acct that exceed 3,153 transactions which is the # related to my problem invest acct.
    • *.QDF File size 117,352 KB
    • I don't sync/backup Quicken datafile with any cloud service.
    • File location for active quicken file is E:\users\my documents\Quicken
    • PC Tower With AMD FX 8320 8 core processor 3.5GHz
    • 64 bit OS, x64 based processor
    • Windows 10 home, ver21H2, OS 19044.1466 (fully updated)
    • 16 GB RAM installed running @ 27% w/Windows, Quicken, Excel, and Firefox running.
    • Thank you for your support

• Jim_Harman
    Is your E: drive a local hard drive? If it is a USB thumb drive, they can be very slow at writing, which would account for your slow performance.

I suggest you try moving your active file to a location on your C: drive that is not accessed by OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, or another cloud backup system and see if that improves the performance.
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Program is install on C:\  The main drive is a 110 GB SSD  w/27.8 GB Free
    Quicken *.QDF file is stored on E:\ Secondary drive is IHD 110 GB w/827 GB Free
    I do not backup/or auto sync any data on cloud services.
    I will file my next *.QDF backup to a File location on C:\  and then reopen file to see if that helps
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    stored *.QDF file on C:\users\username\documents\quicken\backup
    launched Q and opened *.QDF from C:\
    Quicken program and opening investment acct- behavior did not change.
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Any updated ideas?
  • Gregg112
    Gregg112 Member ✭✭
    Robert, I've had the same issue with Quicken (3 repeats of "looking for matching transactions" for the one account. When I switch to any of my other accounts, I don't see this message. I'd also be interested in a solution.
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    In the beginning I did run the File Validate and Repair, but that did not resolve the issue, so here I am looking for a super user to help figure this out. Maybe with 2 members, the community leaders might take this a little more seriously....
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    here I am looking for a super user to help figure this out.
    We SUs are here because we enjoy solving challenging Quicken problems. This one is more challenging than usual because it appears none of us have ever seen the "matching transactions" message in our data. So what is Quicken trying to match to what? Beats me.
    You have over 3100 transactions in the problem account. My biggest investment account has about 1800. If you have a lot of closed positions, perhaps you can mitigate this issue by archiving the transactions in that account. Have you tried that yet? Gear actions menu > Archive Transactions. This will move transactions associated with closed positions into a new account, leaving your active holdings where they are.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     Maybe with 2 members, the community leaders might take this a little more seriously....
    By "community leaders" I'm guessing you mean the developers.  The Moderators might help from time to time to bring a given bug to the developer's attention, but that isn't their primary job, moderating the forum is.  Help -> Report a problem goes to the developer group but has no "feedback".

This one is more challenging than usual because it appears none of us have ever seen the "matching transactions" message in our data. 
    And this is exactly the same problem the Quicken developers would have (with the exception of being able to scan the code for the message).

When a problem is only happening to one user out of all the users there are two things going against the problem getting solved.  The first is how to reproduce it, and the second is that they have a list of bugs and features that probably will take them years to do, and something like this is just not going to get a priority.

This sounds like a good thing to try:

You have over 3100 transactions in the problem account. My biggest investment account has about 1800. If you have a lot of closed positions, perhaps you can mitigate this issue by archiving the transactions in that account. Have you tried that yet? Gear actions menu > Archive Transactions. This will move transactions associated with closed positions into a new account, leaving your active holdings where they are.
    Another might be to use the Move Transactions to move all the transactions to another account in the hopes that there is just something mucked up in the first one and creating a new one will fix it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    The action recommended by RJSquirrel to Archive Transactions in affected Investment acct/registry did resolve the repetitive "Looking for Matching Transactions" issue. Thank you for the community Member/Superuser support.
This discussion has been closed.