The Date?

MDamiani57
MDamiani57 Member
When you enter a new transaction it's always on a previous day is there a setting so it will keep track of the date rather than always having to choose todays date?.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    When you enter a new transaction it's always on a previous day is there a setting so it will keep track of the date rather than always having to choose todays date?.
    Hello @MDamiani57

Thank you for choosing to come to the Quicken Community to engage in discussion about transaction dates.

I have a couple of questions before I can provide an answer of my own. Are you currently using the desktop or web app whenever you enter transactions? Are you connecting accounts for online services, or entering transactions manually? The date of manually entered transactions should generally be that of the day they were entered, unless they are edited. Also, are you wondering if there is a way to prevent Quicken from automatically entering today's date if you were creating transactions from prior to the current day?

I hope to hear back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • The desktop cloud version the latest entering manually when ever you go to enter a new transaction the date is not on the current date you have to change it to "todays date" just wondering if there was a setting to make it auto date? so every day when you open it up and go to enter a new transaction it should be on the current date but is not it's on the date of the last transaction.
  • On a Mac latest edition.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, stupid question, but I feel I have to ask ... have you checked your Mac system clock? Is it correctly set to today's date in one of the US continental time zones?
  • LOL yes the computer has the right time and date it's in the quicken settings somewhere it used to keep the amount of the last transaction as well but it always starts out with 0.00 amount and the last date that was entered it's not a computer issue at all maybe. But maybe the cloud version doesn't have those features?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @MDamiani57,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

The behavior that you're seeing in that new transaction manual entries default to the date of the last manual transaction entry is by design.

However, if you wish to submit an official request to implement a feature that would prevent this, then what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @MDamiani57 When you're entering multiple transactions at a time, it's often helpful for Quicken to default to the same date as the transaction you just entered.

This persists only during your current session, though. When you quit Quicken and relaunch it, creating a new transaction will default to today's date.

If you are entering several transactions out of order and want to jump back to today, there is one keyboard command every Quicken user should learn and use: in any date field anywhere in Quicken, pressing the "t" key — "t" for "today" — will change the date to today's date. So if you're entering transactions today, February 16, and the first transaction you enter is dated February 1, when you create a new transaction, it will default to February 1; just tap "t" and it will change to February 16.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • No that's not it why is this so hard for anybody to understand When entering a single "NEW" transaction and today is February 17th I'll click the box to enter a "NEW" transaction it's still on February 12 the date of my last transaction ???? why would it assume you want the last date makes no sense at all if I want to add something I missed I'll change the date but this makes you change the date every day to today? when 99% of new transactions are for that day? it makes zero sense. but anyway thanks. Mine does not default to todays date ever its not multiple transactions a new transaction the first entry of the day.
  • Quicken Anja why would it default back to the last date when you are entering a "NEW" transaction? makes no sense why would that be a design?
  • jacobs
    why is this so hard for anybody to understand
    Because it sounds like what you're describing is not the way Quicken Mac normally operates. Let me see if I understand you correctly:
    • You have Quicken open and you enter a transaction for February 1 and save it.
    • You quit Quicken
    • You re-launch Quicken and press New
    For me, the default date on this new transaction is today's date. You're saying that the date defaults to February 1, the date of your most recently-entered transaction, even though you've just relaunched Quicken? If so, that's wrong behavior, but I don't have an explanation for why it would be doing that.

Let me ask another question. You've started a New transaction, and change the date from February 1 to February 7, and save the transaction. Now you press New again. Is the default date of the new transaction February 7?
  • NO! I have not entered anything it's the FIRST entry of the day lets say I wake up on the 12th I have credit card transactions to manually enter in my Visa card in quicken and I press the button for a NEW entry the last time I entered anything in it was the 9th I press new transaction the date stays on the 9th I have to MANUALLY change the date to the 12th why doesn't it automatically be on the currant day if it's a NEW entry? I can't explain it any more clearly than that.
  • Yes once I enter a entry into the account the rest will stay on that date but tomorrow it won't start on todays date it will still be on the day before until I change it to todays date.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2022
    @MDamiani57 for additional clarification; when you close the program after you're done working in it, are you using the red dot in the upper left corner, or are you navigating to Quicken > Quit Quicken?

The reason I ask is that Quicken needs to be fully shut down via Quicken > Quit Quicken before it will default a new entry to the current date upon reopening the program. If it is closed via the red dot, only the window is closed, but the program will continue to run which would explain new entries defaulting to the date of the last entry.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    @MDamiani57I know you're frustrated and I'm trying to help. You're saying "NO!" but appear to be saying "yes" to exactly what I asked above: after you launch Quicken, your first new transaction defaults to the date of your most-recent transaction instead of today's date. And as I said above, that is not Quicken's normal behavior. 

I just need to confirm that you are actually Quit Quicken one day and relaunch it the next time you use it. If you are clicking the red dot in the upper left of the Quicken window to close it, that would exactly explain the behavior you are seeing. Closing the window doesn't actually quit the program. (And you want to quit the program each day for several reasons, including the automatic generation of a backup file.) The normal behavior for Quicken is to retain the most recently used date while the program remains open, but to default to today's date after you relaunch Quicken.

So… hoping this won't frustrate you further, I'll ask you again to try what I described above, to make certain we're both saying and doing exactly same thing:
    • With Quicken open, enter a dummy transaction dated February 1 and save it.
    • Quit Quicken, using Command-Q or pulling down the Quicken menu to Quit Quicken
    • Now, re-launch Quicken
    • Press New
    Is the default date on this new transaction today's date or February 1, the date of the prior transaction? 
  • OK just drop it
  • jacobs
    @MDamiani57 We're just trying to help you. Anja and I both had the same thought about why you might be experiencing what you describe, but you didn't answer the key question we both asked.

If you want to drop it, okay, that's your choice. Just know that we're telling you what you're experiencing is not the normal behavior for Quicken if you want help with a solution.

Best wishes. 
This discussion has been closed.