R38.29/R38.30 - any feedback?

mrzookie
mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
Q37.67, WIN 11

Looks like there were a number of problems reported in r38.29 (lifetime planner, blank dashboard tiles, etc.), so I've been ignoring the constant nags to update. Yesterday, the nags were updated to 38.30, but it doesn't look like they addressed most of the stuff from 38.29. Anyone have any feedback on those releases, or should I just continue to wait. As a TurboTax user, I don't want to chance needing to do a Q re-install and, as a result, screwing TT up in the middle of tax season.

Thanks.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No advice, but waiting until you finished with taxes doesn't sound like a bad idea.  I've finished mine and updated, but I haven't tested the "doesn't break TT issue" yet.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The thing that strikes me about the TurboTax/QCleanUI thing is that is almost sounds like they fixed a "non-problem" but didn't fix the real problem.

People were reporting the problem when using QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean32.exe.  I just check them, and they have not been changed.

Now we have been told that QCleanUI is run as part of the install, and that is what they are saying they fixed.  But I don't recall anyone saying that just installing Quicken caused the TurboTax problem.

I guess it could be true that the install for Quicken is doing this too, but it looks like the work is half done if QCleanUI was really at fault.

On the other hand, QCleanUI might have just got blamed for something that Quicken's install was doing that has nothing to do with this.  After all, if one ran QCleanUI the next thing they would do is the Quicken install.

At any rate, I'm not touching any of this until my taxes are done.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We're still back at R36.38 and confirmed that a clean uninstall causes TurboTax 2021 to request its license code again.  It's not really a big deal.  We haven't upgraded Quicken because all subsequent releases in R36 appear to have been hot fixes for issues we do not have and the R37 and R38 announcements indicate these release are still being staged.  Some of the issues that have posted imply R37 and R38 may still be severely broken.   
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    @Sherlock by "clean uninstall" do you mean just uninstalling Quicken or actually using QCleanUI.exe?

EDIT:  I'm still not sure if the "clean" is run on the uninstall or the install.  @Quicken Kathryn said it was done during the install.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Sherlock by "clean uninstall" do you mean just uninstalling Quicken or actually using QCleanUI.exe?

EDIT:  I'm still not sure if the "clean" is run on the uninstall or the install.  @Quicken Kathryn said it was done during the install.
    By clean uninstall, I mean following the manual instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 

Note: As implied, I subsequently installed Quicken while disconnected from the internet and applied the R36.38 Mondo patch.

Based on what @Quicken Kathryn has said, I suspect there is a reference into the ProgramData\Intuit\Common folder in the installed Quicken code invoked when we use QCleanUI and when the Quicken installation program attempts to perform its version of a clean uninstall of earlier installations of Quicken.
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock -  Although uninstall/re-install of Q is not a big deal (although I only recall doing it once in 15 yrs), my troubles with registering TT have, over the last couple of yrs, been epic. TT 2021 was the first time in a while that it went smoothly, so I'm not gonna mess with that.

@Chris_QPW - I think you at some point posted that you experienced the Lifetime Planner issue after installing r38.29, did a reinstall which fixed it, but only temporarily. Are you still having the problem? If no, was it r38.30 that fixed it, or something else?

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    mrzookie said:
    @Sherlock -  Although uninstall/re-install of Q is not a big deal (although I only recall doing it once in 15 yrs), my troubles with registering TT have, over the last couple of yrs, been epic. TT 2021 was the first time in a while that it went smoothly, so I'm not gonna mess with that.

@Chris_QPW - I think you at some point posted that you experienced the Lifetime Planner issue after installing r38.29, did a reinstall which fixed it, but only temporarily. Are you still having the problem? If no, was it r38.30 that fixed it, or something else?

No one here is suggesting you should uninstall and reinstall Quicken.  My point was that you don't really need Quicken's TurboTax issue fix.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the Lifetime Planner and the reallocation windows that use a web page and “get canceled”, have not been fixed.  Installing Quicken only temporarily fix the problem (until reboot).
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.