Can I export files to another Quicken user?

Myron
Myron Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have two loans to my daughter. She also uses Quicken. Can I export just those two files and email them to her to import to her Quicken?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You refer to two files, but do you really mean two accounts in a single file.  The information in Quicken is stored in files, not the program.  So, fi they are truly in separate files, you could just send the files to her.
    Wen Quicken is open, the name of the file that is currently being used in shown in the upper left corner of the Quicken window's border.
    So, what do you have, two accounts in a single file or two different files?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming your daughter has Quicken do you really want to "export" this information?  Presumably you have these loans as assets in your Quicken file and that's the way they'll import into her file. 
    If what you really want to do is give her the amortization information for these loans then the way to do that is to open the Account, click "Payment Details", click "View payment schedule", then click the printer icon in the lower left corner of the "Loan Schedule." Print the schedule as a PDF or text file, and email that.
  • Myron
    Myron Member ✭✭
    I have two files in an account. I only want to send the files. Unfortunately, I have them set up as a credit card and not a loan.

I guess I am just looking for a way to download them and upload them to annother account. Do not want to print and then have to enter all by hand.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are still confusing "account" and "file."

When you open Quicken, can you see both of these "files" at the same time, listed on the Accounts bar on the left side of your screen? If so, they are what Quicken calls "Accounts".

Or do you switch from one to the other by going to the File menu and picking Open Quicken file or picking the name of the file from the bottom of the list? Then indeed these are separate Quicken files.

Please clarify.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Myron
    Myron Member ✭✭
    On the left hand side are my accounts, such as a credit card or bank account. That is what I want to download and send

Thanks to all for helping me out
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Myron said:
    On the left hand side are my accounts, such as a credit card or bank account.
    That is what I want to download and send
    Just to clarify ....
    Quicken is like MS Word - and stores all the data in the Quicken QDF files...
    and you can have as many files as you want - just like MS Word DOC files.
    Within each Quicken QDF data file - everything you see on your screen is created and stored there.
    SO - the "accounts" you see on the left side, are saved in whatever Quicken QDF file you happen to have open,
    and are not "exported" or "downloaded" to give to someone else..... it's more like just a file copy -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Myron - I am assuming by "files" you really mean "accounts".  If I am correct then you might want to try the following: 
    1. File > File Export > QIF File > click on "Browse" > select the location to save the file to (you can use the default location if you wish) > name the QIF export file to be saved > OK > in the drop-down for "Quicken account to export from" select one of the credit card accounts > select the date range you want exported > make sure the box for "Transactions" is checked > OK.
    2. Repeat step 1 for the other account you want to export and send to your daughter.
    3. Go to the location where the two QIF files were exported.  You can copy and attach them to an email to be sent to your daughter.
    In the email to your daughter tell her to:
    1. Save the 2 QIF files to her hard drive.
    2. Add two manual credit card accounts to her Quicken file:  One for one loan and another for the other.
    3. Then:  File > File Import > QIF File > click on Browse and go to the location where she saved the QIF files > select one of the QIF files > Open > in the drop-down for "Quicken account to import into" select the new manual credit card account for the QIF file that she selected > make sure the "Transactions" box is checked > Import.
    4. Repeat step 3 for the other account.
    This should allow your daughter to show the 2 accounts in her Quicken file just like they are shown in your Quicken file.  Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Even though @Boatnmaniac’s post is “the only way”.  I have to wonder about all the things that haven’t been asked and that can go wrong.

• If the loan(s) are setup for downloading, all bets are off.
    • Loan account don’t “stand alone”.  There will be transfers from a checking account with most of the information one paying off that loan, which will not be included/line up with a new data file without these accounts in it.
    • Loan payments are setup with a loan wizard and none of that will be transferred to the other data file.  It will have to be reproduced in the other account.
    Copying one account to another data file is always problematic because of the possible transfers between accounts, but with loan accounts it gets much more likely that you will have problems with it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    Even though @Boatnmaniac’s post is “the only way”.  I have to wonder about all the things that haven’t been asked and that can go wrong.

• If the loan(s) are setup for downloading, all bets are off.
    • Loan account don’t “stand alone”.  There will be transfers from a checking account with most of the information one paying off that loan, which will not be included/line up with a new data file without these accounts in it.
    • Loan payments are setup with a loan wizard and none of that will be transferred to the other data file.  It will have to be reproduced in the other account.
    Copying one account to another data file is always problematic because of the possible transfers between accounts, but with loan accounts it gets much more likely that you will have problems with it.

@Myron had mentioned that his loans are not set up as loan accounts but as credit card accounts.  I'd assumed that this meant the "connected loan" and "Loan payments" features, therefore do not apply.
    But you raised a very important point that will need to be addressed by the daughter when she imports the QIF files into her Quicken file:  If the loan payments are transfers in @Myron 's file they will also be transfers in his daughter's file but the account the transfer is from will not exist in her Quicken file.  She will need to address them somehow, either by replacing those transfers a non-transfer category or by replacing his account transfers with her own account transfers.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry I missed that post that they are setup as credit card accounts.  That certainly helps.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Myron
    Myron Member ✭✭
    You guys are great. I knew you could have more than one file but I never knew you could change to another file just by going to the file menu and clicking the one you want. I always signed out and then went to file-open Quicken file.

I solved my problem by making my daughter a separate file ind exporting and importing the needed accounts. I then emailed her, her own file. I guess I will email her, her file each time I update it. Thanks again for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.