Duplicate entries when downloading Bank of America transactions.

Bill Griffin
Bill Griffin Member ✭✭
A couple of months ago I started getting duplicate entries downloaded into my checking register after downloading from my Bank of America account. I've begin the process by opening my Q register then my BoA checking register, clicking "Download" on the BoA register, then accepting the downloaded entries in the Q register. I've been following this process for years without problem until recently. Now I ALWAYS get duplicate entries, which means I have to go back into Q to find and then delete those entries. Quicken support hasn't been useful in helping me resolve this issue. Has anyone in the Community had a similar duplicate entry experience and been able to get it resolved?

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Bill Griffin,

Thank you for reaching out to Quicken Community. I apologize you are having this issue. To better assist you I need a bit more information, specifically a screenshot. Having a screenshot of the FITID would be helpful to pinpoint where the issue is coming from. 

To view the FITID you will need to add this column. This can be done by selecting Columns (bottom right corner) >FITID. 

For instructions on attaching a screenshot please click here. Please note that you may need to drag the image file into the response box. 

Additionally, if you have not already, you may visit the FAQ help article linked below regarding duplicate issues on Quicken for Mac. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/duplicate-transactions-or-accounts-downloaded-quicken-mac

Hope this helps. Please let us know of any questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Bill Griffin
    Bill Griffin Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your prompt response. I've performed all of the procedures noted in the FAQ, i.e., created an FITID column, tried comparing FITIDs (very tedious and time consuming), deleted duplicate entries, etc. Also, on the advice of a Q Support person prior to my note to you, I deactivated then activated the account. None of these actions have caused the duplicate entries from occurring with subsequent downloads. After sending off the note you responded to, I downloaded the entries again, again got duplicates then tried using the Edit function in the reconcile window. This added a FITID to the reconciled entry (BTY, these id numbers have about a dozen numerals making them difficult to compare).

I read in another question's response that that individual's bank may have changed their FITID procedures thereby causing the duplications. Is it possible Bank of America did something similar? Nothing Q has suggested has fixed anything.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Bill Griffin,

Thank you for your response. 

I recommend creating a test file and adding the Bank of America account(s) then allowing some downloads to occur to see if you still experience the same duplicate transaction issue. You can do this by going to File>New>Start from Scratch. 

If the transactions download duplicates in the test file as well then I recommend reaching out to Bank of America. They may be able to provide further information, and I am certain that they are eager to receive feedback from customers. Keep in mind that it may be necessary to request to speak with a Tier 2 representative or an escalations agent, as they are likely to have a greater degree of familiarity with third-party software and its interactions with their online banking services.

I look forward to hearing how the test file works. 
    Have a great Friday!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Bill, it wasn't clear to me from your post whether transactions you identified as duplicates had different FITID numbers. I suspect they were different. Quicken uses this number to determine whether the downloaded transaction is already in your database or not; if the FITID number has never come into your data file before, Quicken treats it as a new transaction. The value of that long number is generated by the financial institution; it should never change for any transaction (unless, perhaps, you switch a different connection method). So if you're seeing different FITID numbers for the same transaction on subsequent downloads, it seems something is wrong at the financial institution end. Quicken can't do anything about that; you'd have to pursue it with BofA.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.