Resident using my Quicken

This discussion was created from comments split from: I can't update accounts using one step update after updating password on account.

Comments

• Louis Storm
    Louis Storm Member ✭✭
    I am having trouble with a fellow resident at our retirement home. He apparently is using a local network to get in to my Quicken account. He has been entering false activity in Quicken program. When I want to go to Quicken to update , I get the message "Quicken's Online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait at least ten minutes then try again. We apologize for the inconvenience. OK" I keep trying and keep getting the same message. My last update was at least a week ago. How can I get him off of my computer? Is this action of his suable?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Is this a shared computer or your own computer? Particularly if it is a shared computer, be sure to exit out of Quicken and log out of your Windows account before you leave the computer.

Is your Quicken data file on a shared or network drive or is it on the C: drive on the computer where Quicken is installed? It should be on the computer where Quicken is installed.

When you use Quicken, do you use the desktop software on your computer or do you use Quicken on the Web? Just running on the local computer and going to Edit > Preferences > Mobile and Web and turning off Sync will be more secure.

One thing you can do is go to Edit > Preferences > Startup and put a password on your Quicken file. Don't use something obvious like your name or "Quicken"

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited March 2022
    Hello @Louis Storm,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, I am sorry that you are experiencing this error and the issue with your fellow resident. 

In regards to the "Quicken's Online service is unavailable at this time..." message, you may follow this link here which discusses troubleshooting steps to resolve this error. 

As for your fellow resident accessing your data, you can add a password to your data file which would be required every time you would like to open your main/active file. You can follow this link here to a Support Article that discusses how to add and remove data file passwords. 

I hope this helps. 
    Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.