Quicken is slow

I have used Q for years, but now it is so slow to start, I am looking at alternatives. I do not need many of the current services like downloading brokerage, mortgages or other calculations. I need a fast program that keeps banking records straight and produces reports. Don't mess with a good thing. Give me back my old responsive Q.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Hi @Eppa

I am sorry to hear that Quicken has been performing slowly for you and thank you for sharing your experience with Community. 

I did want to suggest visiting this support article that offers some troubleshooting steps for when Quicken is performing slowly. If these steps do not improve the performance, please let me know. Thanks! 

Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• T McKannon
    T McKannon Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Since the mid-January 2022 update and continuing with the latest release of Quicken for Windows Version R40.21, Build 27.1.40.21, the program and OSU have run unacceptably slow, effective unusable. I have reverted to Version 37.66 after every update since mid-January to maintain acceptable performance. Today I called Quicken Support. After some trouble shooting, I was told that my data file is too large and that the only way to solve the issue was to archive anything older than a year. [Removed - Speculation] Version R37.66 ran fine and still runs fine. [Removed - Speculation/Rant]
  • bobonyc
    bobonyc Member ✭✭
    This is exactly my situation with my largest/oldest file. Very frustrating that Quicken seems to have created the problem in an update earlier this year but does not issue a global fix.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    bobonyc said:
    This is exactly my situation with my largest/oldest file. Very frustrating that Quicken seems to have created the problem in an update earlier this year but does not issue a global fix.
    Hello @bobonyc

I am sorry to hear that you seem to be experiencing this issue, as well. Thank you for looking to this Quicken Community Discussion for more information.

To be clear, have you attempted the troubleshooting steps recommended earlier by @Quicken Janean? Also, have you noticed this difficulty in other data files besides the largest and oldest one? If you are noticing this problem across data files, you may also attempt uninstalling and reinstalling the software, using the steps listed first in this Support Article, then in the one linked here, respectively. 

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • bobonyc
    bobonyc Member ✭✭
    Yes, I have done the other steps and validated and super validated with Quicken support. This is clearly a problem unintentionally created by one of the release updates.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a shot in the dark ...
    Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    bobonyc said:
    Yes, I have done the other steps and validated and super validated with Quicken support. This is clearly a problem unintentionally created by one of the release updates.
    Hello @bobonyc

I am sorry about this general slowness continuing, even after those steps were taken. Thank you for reaching out again and keeping me informed about what is happening. 

First, I would like to note that it is sometimes helpful to delete the Quicken folder from the Program Files (x86) location after you have uninstalled the program using the steps from the Support Article I linked previously. Be sure to do this after uninstallation but just prior to reinstalling the program, if you have not done so previously. 

If you have uninstalled Quicken when making use of the information above previously, and the issue persists, please try opening a new 'test' data file using the following steps:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Copy or Backup File...
    3. Select Create a copy or template
    4. Click Next 
    5. Select a file location on your computer
    6. Click Save Copy
    7. Select New Copy
    8. Click OK

You may then add your non-Charles Schwab affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues with slowness continue in this data file.

I look forward to hearing your response, and hope to work with you further on this problem, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.