how to deal with duplicate transactions from PNC Wallet

I keep getting previously downloaded transactions downloaded again with each down load. It seems to be random. The download IDs do not seem to be duplicated.

How can I more easily find these?

How can I stop this from happening?

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @mertenj,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue with duplicate transactions. 

When did this error begin to occur? What connection method are you using with PNC Wallet? You can see the connection method by navigating to Tools in the upper left > Account List > Edit > Online Services. What version of Quicken are you running? You can see this by going to Help > About Quicken. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and adding the PNC Wallet account(s), and then performing a few One Step Updates to see if the same error occurs with duplicate transactions. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting point. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

I have also located a Support Article that discusses duplicate transactions which you may find to also be of use. You can follow this link here for access. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• mertenj
    mertenj Member ✭✭
    Jasmine, Thanks for the comprehensive response. I do not have all answers right now, but I will share what I have now.

The connection method for the PNC - Virtual Wallet is Express Web Connect

I am using Quicken Premier version R39.23 Build 27.1.39.23 running on Windows 10 Enterprise.

I will have to set aside some time later this week to read the document you sent a link to and to set up the test scenario your describe.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Note: PNC Bank added support for the Direct Connect connection method for Virtual Wallet accounts last year:  https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/Quicken_QuickBooks-Direct-Connect-Service-Agreement.pdf  
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mertenj - PNC's Express Web Connect (EWC) connection has had a history of being problematic since at least last Oct when I became a PNC customer.  If you do a search of this Community forum you will find a fair number of posts by others who have had EWC connection issues with PNC.
    After having several issues with PNC's EWC connection I switched to DC and have been really happy that I did.  Have you considered upgrading your connection method from EWC to Direct Connect (DC)?  DC is very fast and a more reliable connection method than EWC.  And it allows for us to use their free Bank Bill Pay service (sending bill pay commands and internal account transfer commands from within Quicken directly to PNC).  There is no fee for DC service for consumer accounts.  I think there is a $2/month fee for DC with business accounts.
    If you are interested, you will first need to contact PNC and ask them to send you a unique password for use with DC.  I believe you can use your Social Security number for the UserID but ask them to confirm this for you.  They will mail it to you.
    Once you receive the unique PW from them:
    1. Go to the Online Services tab of Account Details and click on Deactivate. 
    2. Then go to the General tab of Account Details and delete all the Financial Institution Information in the upper right quadrant (everything above the Contact Name) of that tab.
    3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for each PNC account you have set up.
    4. Go to Add Account (you can try Set Up Now but Add Account has been more reliable recently) and select the PNC Bank - Direct Connect setup link (not the PNC - Virtual Wallet link) and follow the prompts.
    5. When prompted, be sure to link the downloaded data to the account(s) you already have set up in Quicken.
    6. This setup process might enter duplicate transactions into your register(s) but it should be just a 1-time occurrence.  Any duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mertenj
    mertenj Member ✭✭
    Where does the cost for direct connect come from? Is that a fee from PNC or Quicken? (seems like I'd be paying monthly for a bug fix...)
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Yes, I have PNC Bank -Direct Connect with a Personal Standard Checking Account from PNC Bank and a qualifying recurring Automatic Deposit. I get Free PNC Bank Bill Pay with a Direct Connect Connection. Direct Connect DOES work with Virtual Wallet products starting August, 2021. And you must call PNC Bank before switching. They need to enroll you.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    mertenj said:
    Where does the cost for direct connect come from? Is that a fee from PNC or Quicken? (seems like I'd be paying monthly for a bug fix...)
    There is no fee for using the Direct Connect connection method to access personal accounts at PNC.  PNC does charge a monthly $2 fee for using the Direct Connect connection method to access business accounts at PNC.  You may confirm the same at:

https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/personal/service-charges-fees-non-vw/all-ServiceChargesA.pdf
    https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc-com/pdf/smallbusiness/DepositAccounts/bus-deposit-fees.pdf
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    mertenj said:
    As several of us have noted here, PNC does not charge a fee for DC for consumer accounts.  There is a $2 monthly charge for DC for business accounts.
    While some banks charge customers a monthly fee for DC many banks do not charge anything for it. 
    And, no, Quicken does not pay PNC anything for that.  In fact, it is the opposite....PNC must pay Quicken/Intuit in order to be able to offer support for Quicken.  The fees that PNC must pay them just becomes part of their overhead cost structure.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.