REGISTER REPORT INCOMPLETE

jgtibbs
jgtibbs Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Register report for checking account drops off last 4 years of entries...checked and double-checked report customizations...all to no avail. Report appears to include all entries for previous 16 years or so but stops at a 2018 entry; nothing for 2019 to 2022.

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Try the Create a Copy again, but this time hold Shift while clicking Next in the "Backup or Copy File" dialog. You should be presented with the option to ignore errors that prevent copying. No guarantee that copy will behave better, but it's something to try.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be clear, is this the report that you access by clicking on the gear in account's register, then picking More reports and Register report?

If you are using a saved report or accessing it in some other way, please try the path above and see if you still have the problem.

Also make sure the date range for the report when you first open it is "Include all dates"
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Thank you and yes: accessing report via "gear" etc. I am specifying a custom date range (last 3 months) in order to help reconcile account. If I select any date range that covers any dates after Aug 2018, no data is shown after Aug 2018. For example, if I select the last 3 months, I get a blank report.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?
    Is your subscription expired or still active?
    Click Help / About Quicken to get this information.

In my Quicken US R 40.21, the More reports / Register Report works correctly, with all the date range selections I tested.
    Other than selecting a Date Range, e.g., Custom Date, from 3/1/22 to 5/15/22, did you make any other changes?

• jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    I currently running Quicken Deluxe, Windows 10 Home, Ver: R40.21, Build 27.1.40.21.
    My "Membership" valid until end of the year.
    In setting up register report, under "customize register report," I've tried all options with no luck.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are starting this report from a selected account register. Does that register really contain new transactions or are they only in other registers?

Can you please capture an image of report view showing the issue, page header lines included, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Register Report is really a Banking Transaction report that just includes the selected account. 

If you go to Reports > Banking > Banking Transaction and subtotal by Accounts, does that report include current transactions for your other accounts?

Does it include transactions for the problem account?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    All reports, including this register report sample, are similar to attached, i.e. report says it covers period to 5/16/2022 but stops at 8/23/2018.
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Looking at Reports > Banking > Banking Transaction and subtotaling by Accounts yields same result, no checking account transactions after 8/23/2018. Really bazzar.
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Uninstalled Quicken, then reinstalled...same dastardly result.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgtibbs said:
    Uninstalled Quicken, then reinstalled...same dastardly result.
    Next things to do:
    • Validate and Supervalidate your Quicken data file.
    • If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring.

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Neither Validate or Super Validate solved the issue. However, just prior to trying this, I noticed that right after the last transaction that shows in the register report (dated 8/23/2018) is an odd-ball entry.
    It shows a date of 1/0/1900 with payee "N/A," category is blank, but amount shows deposit of $20.47.
    I tried get rid of this transaction by deleting, voiding...all to no avail.
    I'm guessing this is the problem...but how to fix?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    jgtibbs said:
    All reports, including this register report sample, are similar to attached, i.e. report says it covers period to 5/16/2022 but stops at 8/23/2018.
    That report is sorted by Account. Click the Date header and see whether sorting by date gives you the expected result.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Surely(?), my issue relates to the date shown for the transaction after which no other transactions are displayedThat date is 1/0/1900. This date appears when initially opening Quicken but if I click on this transaction, 1/0/1900 changes to current date. In neither case will register report display dates after 8/23/2018. All transactions, to current date show in this account, then just don’t show in register report.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jgtibbs said:
    Surely(?), my issue relates to the date shown for the transaction after which no other transactions are displayedThat date is 1/0/1900. This date appears when initially opening Quicken but if I click on this transaction, 1/0/1900 changes to current date. In neither case will register report display dates after 8/23/2018. All transactions, to current date show in this account, then just don’t show in register report.
    Hello @jgtibbs

I am sorry to hear that this issue remains ongoing. Thank you for continuing to follow up with us about this problem. 

One other option left to us is to try copying your data file. Please note that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied data file, and that it will be necessary to reactivate all online account connections, online Bill Manager services, and all online notifications in the new copy of the data file. Also, a new data set will be created in the new data file, should you intend to use that as your primary data file, going forward.

With that in mind, if you wish to continue, follow these steps, in order:

• Navigate to File
    • Select Copy or Backup File...
    • Select Create a copy or template
    • Click Next 
    • Select a file location on your computer
    • Click Save Copy
    • Select New Copy
    • Click OK

We look forward to any future updates you may be able to provide.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Tried copying data file to no avail, several attempts all resulted in "File not copied."
    Also tried going back to last couple of backups; all failed to show dates beyond 8/23/2018 in register report.
    Any other thoughts?; I'd be happy to give them a try.
  • jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Here, again, is the entry that with little doubt is causing the problem (see attached).
    Entry in question is between 8/23/2018 and 8/24/2018 entries.
    All attempts to DELETE this anomaly have failed; it's like an antibiotic-resistant virus.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    Try the Create a Copy again, but this time hold Shift while clicking Next in the "Backup or Copy File" dialog. You should be presented with the option to ignore errors that prevent copying. No guarantee that copy will behave better, but it's something to try.

• jgtibbs
    jgtibbs Member ✭✭
    Yes…this worked! You’re my hero, thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    jgtibbs said:
    Yes…this worked! You’re my hero, thanks.
    Hello @jgtibbs

Thank you for getting back to us so faithfully and explaining the results of each step, and for confirming that the issue seems to have been resolved. I am happy that things appear to be functioning properly now. 

Thank you, @Rocket J Squirrel, for providing those additional recommendations that resolved the issue.

Feel free to reach out again with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.