faster load & ticker not sticking

dblake2
dblake2 Member ✭✭
1-is therea way to load quicken faster? say block it from updating everytime it runs?
2-quicken refuses to remember ticker XLE, Its in the history but I have to retype the name every time I enter it.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    1. We may use firewall rules to temporarily block qw.exe and quickenPatch.exe from establishing outbound connections.
    2. It is been normal to need to retype at least a portion of a security name or ticker symbol to enter another transaction for a security for a while now.  Quicken changed the behavior after some user's complained about having to use the keyboard to clear the security field to be able to select a different security with the mouse.
  • dblake2
    dblake2 Member ✭✭
    I dont mind typing part of the name, the problem with this ticker is I have to go thru the whole selection process everytime I enter it as if its never been entered b4
  • dblake2
    dblake2 Member ✭✭
    yet it is in the security list
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dblake2 said:
    1-is therea way to load quicken faster? say block it from updating everytime it runs?
    If Quicken is updating every time you launch it and you do not want that to happen, you might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Startup and make sure the box for Download transactions when Quicken starts is unchecked.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    dblake2 said:
    I dont mind typing part of the name, the problem with this ticker is I have to go thru the whole selection process everytime I enter it as if its never been entered b4
    Depending on exactly what is being matched this can very well be true.

The matching algorithm is matching both the symbols and the text in the security name.
    If the text of the symbol you are typing is also contained in another symbol or security name then you will never get an exact/one only kind of match.

I tend to use the approach of typing enough characters to get it visible in the list and then clicking on it.
    For securities I have to enter manually I make sure that the security name starts with something unique.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dblake2
    dblake2 Member ✭✭
    its in quicken security list as 'energy select sector spdr fund'. when i type 'energy' in by/sl window I get many choices but NOT XLE, as soon as I type 'energy sel' everything disappears?!
  • @dblake2 - I would blank out the security name, and then retype it back in.  Sometimes there are blanks or "invisible" characters that cause problems
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you typed XLE instead?
    What is the result?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you lookup this security in Tools / Security List,
    • what is the Security Type? Stock? Mutual Fund? Other? It can be anything but NOT "Market Index" (which is reserved for true market indices like Dow Jones, etc.)
    • is the security marked hidden (checkmark in the Hide column)? If so, remove the checkmark.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    dblake2 said:
    dblake2 said:
    yet it is in the security list
    I suspect the security is hidden.  You should be able to select Show Hidden in the Security name: pull-down menu or uncheck the Hide box for the security in the Security List: press Ctrl + Y and check Show hidden securities
  • @sherlock I think you are right.  I remember now that is a category or security is hidden, it does not Quickfill unless it is unhidden.
  • dblake2
    dblake2 Member ✭✭
    it wasn't hidden but it was listed as type market index.
    I changed it to stock & it now works correctly.
    thanks for the suggestions.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dblake2 said:
    2-quicken refuses to remember ticker XLE, Its in the history but I have to retype the name every time I enter it.
    thanks for reporting the solution to your question #2 about the security problem.
    Did you ever get a solution to your question #1?
    Was it related to the Preferences setting about "download transactions when Quicken starts"? Turning that off and running OSU at a later time might shave 2 minutes or more off your startup time.
    Here's something else to check:

Stuck in loop with logon to Quicken.com? Quicken fails or is slow to start? Quicken won't save changes to lists or transactions? (Windows 10+)

Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• dblake2
    dblake2 Member ✭✭
    it takes ~1:20 to come up if run by itself.
    I multiboot so tend to start 2-3 programs at once, once booted up.-
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dblake2 said:
    it takes ~1:20 to come up if run by itself.
    I multiboot so tend to start 2-3 programs at once, once booted up.-
    While "multibooting" watch Windows Task Manager. At least on my computer the C: drive goes 100% busy for quite some time while Windows gets it act together and everything wants to start at the same time. What's your C: drive doing at that time? Traffic jam on the data highway?

This discussion has been closed.