Budget Disappeared.

mobleyw
mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
Please: my budgets have simply disappeared, many of them, ongoing x years. I get this message upon opening Quicken. Restoring with backups which contained the budgets does not show the budgets. Same message occurs. See the png image. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

In the meantime we recommend restoring a backup to restore any lost budgets and turning cloud sync OFF to prevent the issue from reoccurring.

Thank you!
    (CTP-3981)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    mobleyw said:
    To LowcarbNY: I either misunderstand or at least I am unable to get to the Validate and Repair menu under File until/after I open the Quicken file. I have turned off the password requirement in preferences so that there is no option to cancel, etc. Are you able to "validate and repair" a selected Quicken data file without and before opening it? Thank you.
    @mobleyw,  since you don't have password on your QDF you can't CANCEL when asked for it. 
    A couple of options for you.    A] rename the file from file manager then start Quicken.  Since Quicken can't find the file it last used it will ask you to select the file you want to open.   That will give you the chance to CANCEL and go to Validation.      B] Instead of Starting Quicken by clicking on a Quicken icon instead start from File Manager.  Select some old, garbage QDF, let it open then you can Validate your real data file and open it.     C] Use a password with your QDF.    This whole validation song and dance adds a lot of time to opening and using the QDF.   Entering a password is a small additional overhead.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting this issue here in the Community, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

While this is a known issue that our teams have been working on, we also went ahead and posted a Community Alert for this issue which you can follow for any and all available updates here. The Alert also contains some troubleshooting instructions that may help resolve the issue for some. However, please note that as of now, it is still considered an ongoing issue and a fix is being worked on to be released in a future update.

Thank you!
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hello and thank you all for continuing to speak with us about this issue.

We do apologize about the inconvenience this has caused, and we thank you for your patience. This issue with missing Budget information is addressed by the R47 update, which is now live. We advise that you update the software as soon as possible to begin making use of this build. 

We hope that is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I too just LOST ALL MY BUDGETING WORK! I was working on my 2022 budget, had devoted several days to it. All was fine until ten minutes ago when I clicked on Planning tab I got exactly the same error message you posted saying no budgetable categories were available. I then closed Quicken Premier for Windows (latest version, completely updated, running on Windows 10 also completely updated). When I opened Quicken all budgets gone, no trace of them and it's asking me to start over brand new from scratch. I am running a validate to see if that does anything. Not happy.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    same error message. got this after a Validate.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Exactly the same thing here: After the above message, closed and re-opened, and then invited to create new budgets. Validation, "super-validation" with Quicken Support has not helped. Please keep me posted if you find a solution. My review demonstrates multiple discussions regarding this problem, discussions often closed without resolution. I have lost years of budgeting. File restores know to contain the budgets fail to show them. Keep me posted if you find a solution, please. Thankyou.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    Just lost mine again today. Happens about every 3-4 days. Take frequent full backups is the only advice I can give. It prevents you from having to recreate too many transactions.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    I agree. It is very sporadic and unpredictable. I do frequent backups. But I think it's in the software, not the file. The file not showing the budget on my PC works fine and shows the budget on my laptop flawlessly. I may try totally removing Quicken from my PC and re-installing.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    At revision 41.10 and my previously working budgets have disappeared. Quicken now wants to create a new budget. Isn't there a way to retrieve previously created budgets? What Quicken file extension are they stored?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious, do budget reports work?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To Bob L: Good question. At this time the budgets have re-appeared after a restore of an earlier file, even though the file which failed to show my budget on my PC showed the budgets normally on my laptop. The budgets seem to disappear randomly... when it happens again, I'll check to see if the reports work.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier R41.10, Build 27.1.41.10; Windows 10Pro Ver 21H2; local laptop with cloud synch off.
    Recreated budget with current Quicken version and supervalidated data file yesterday. Saved and backed up to local laptop drive. Today after updating a few accounts with imported QFX files the budget is gone again. Seems like the directory structure for the budget components is highly unstable now. Is there a way to manually rollback to R41.9 or a previous version?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
     dzf22k said:
    Seems like the directory structure for the budget components is highly unstable now. 

I have a budget set up and fortunately have never run into any of the disappearing budget problems.  If you have set up customized category groups, then my suggestion would be to try NOT setting them up and going with the default settings instead.

• dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    I've rolled back to R40.21 following a posted reply about a location of historical Quicken MondoPatch revisions and restored my last backup with the working Budget. The updated my account transactions with File Import QFX files and performed a One Step Update. Then backed up to my local disk on the laptop. Closed the Quicken app and reopened Quicken Premier R40.21 and all data and Budget is intact. I'll stick to this version until the Budget problem gets resolved in a future version.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To dzf22K: Currently I am up and running with budgets visible. If this problem recurs, I will try your "rollback". Please keep me posted... would hope for confirmation that this rollback has consistently eliminated the problem. Thanks for your help.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    Day 2 at R40.21, 2022 Budget intact after importing new QFX transactions to accounts and One Step Update for today. Everything was fine until.....
    Then I did a local complete backup of my Quicken data file and my 2022 Budget disappeared ending with the popup box "This Quicken file contains no budgetable accounts or categories. The Budget feature cannot be used at this time." There is something more nefarious going on here. My QDF file is 217,929KB is size. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Exactly my problem: that message pops up, then open and close and I am invited to create new budgets. My file is 259,280 KB. To my knowledge, there is no procedure for removing old transactions, (reducing file size) since it would seem that would alter ongoing balances. Archiving, as I understand it, only removes transactions from being visible. File size stays the same. Indeed, something nefarious - and it's been going on x years, as I learned from reviewing multiple closed discussions from some time ago. Essentially identical problem to yours and mine. Interestingly, the same file, same size, restored on my laptop seems (so far) to work fine.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running mobile or the web version?

• dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    Running Quicken Premier subscription R40.21 running local on Windows10Pro Ver: 21H2 laptop with no synch to web/mobile.

I just restored my complete Quicken backup that crashed my 2022 Budget under R40.21 and the 2022 Budget is there (back again). Although I did not log in to Quicken with my ID and password when prompted after the restore. I then closed the restored file and then reopened it. No prompt for Quicken ID and password encountered and the 2022 Budget is there.
  • JMC
    JMC Member ✭✭
    My 3 budgets (2022, 2023, and 2024) all disappeared twice today. It's the first thing I check whenever I open the latest file due to the instability of this software. It is infuriating to start with a good file (with budget), conduct account maintenance for an hour, then watch the random but persistent QUICKEN BUDGET DISAPPEARING Act take place right before my very eyes. I recommend Quicken to nobody
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain. This has been an ongoing problem x years with multiple closed discussions advising recreate your budgets. I have spent hours on the phone with "Support" with no resolution. I will be looking further at suggestions from the community above when I have more time. Thanks
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    mobleyw said:
    To Bob L: Good question. At this time the budgets have re-appeared after a restore of an earlier file, even though the file which failed to show my budget on my PC showed the budgets normally on my laptop. The budgets seem to disappear randomly... when it happens again, I'll check to see if the reports work.
    @mobleyw the fact that the same file is missing budgets on your desktop and budgets still show in that file on your  laptop is intriguing. What is different about the laptop? Is the Quicken version the same?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To Bob L: Intriguing, indeed. Both Quicken installs are part of the same subscription and are both Quicken Deluxe, Version R41.10, Build 27.1.41.10. I have purposely set up my laptop and PC to be identical in as many aspects as possible, including Quicken. I use OneDrive to keep everything in sync between the 2 machines EXCEPT Quicken. No Quicken files are in OneDrive. When I have completed my Quicken work on the PC, I back up the file to my thumb drive, and restore that file to the laptop. While everything is working on the PC NOW (budgets are visible), I have noted several occasions where the same file failed to show the budgets on the PC, but they were readily visible on the laptop. This is what has saved my budgets (laptop backups) whereas others with this problem have lost them x years.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To JMC: This seemed to work for me one time, though I am not sure why... I noticed that despite having cloud sync turned off, that I was getting a recurring message that files were being synced to the cloud - and then the budgets would disappear. They reappeared when I restored a previous file with my wifi turned off = try restoring without internet access and see if it works for you...??? Keep me posted.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To dzf22k: How did you open Quicken without ID and password? I thought that was required. At least it seems so every time I open Quicken after closing.
  • tdreed1265
    tdreed1265 Member ✭✭✭
    I lose my budget almost every single session after the last Quicken update. I too have a large file for having used Quicken many many years. I've had to restore to a backup 3 times today to get to a stable point with the budget.
    I'm really considering moving off of Quicken at this point as this problem is consuming many hours of rework every session when Quicken is supposed to be saving me time.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    To mobleyw: Even though I declined the Quicken login when initially prompted after the restore it appears that my credentials (displayed under the Help--About Quicken) were intact since it has not requested a login afte closing the restored file.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    Still on Quicken Premier R40.21 running local on Windows 10Pro Ver 21H2 laptop, no mobile/web synch. Just finished some manual transaction entries, imports of some QFX files, and a One Step Update. 2022 Budget remained intact and then performed a complete backup to my local drive. The Budget was retained. I then closed and then reopened Quicken and all is well so far.
    I have not tried to restore my June 16th local backup that contained my historical Budgets besides my 2022 because of the effort required to bring it current.
  • dzf22k
    dzf22k Member ✭✭
    Ok, I'm retired. So I went back and grabbed my local QDF backup for June 16th with my historical Budgets and restored it to my locally running Quicken Premier R40.21. Then updated the Quicken accounts with manual entry, QFX imports, and One Step Update. The Budgets remained intact. I updated my 2022 budget entries to match the standalone one I had created just prior to June 23. I then decided to do a complete backup of the updated QDF file. It seemed to complete normally. When selecting the Planning tab, Quicken crashed prompting for email address and what I was doing at the time of the incident. I then restarted Quicken R40.21 and the Budgets were still there.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    I created a new basic budget just letting Quicken pick the numbers. I'm letting that ride for a few weeks to see if it disappears before I try to again input detailed budget numbers. I've also taken to waiting a few hour after computer starts up to make let all possible background processes like backup software (not cloud synch), anti-virus or other stuff get done in case somehow that is causing problem. I do find it interested the loss of budgets on one computer but not another.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    To dzf22k: I'm retired, but wife is ill, so my time to "fix" Quicken is limited. I am frustrated we are forced to re-do and find work arounds for this budget bug that is so pervasive and has been present for so long. Just thankful budgets are present and working now. Keep me posted.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    This morning decided to try budgeting again which is an exercise in extreme frustation:
    1) Updated to very latest Quicken Premier for Windows which showed up this morning (41.19)
    2) Crash: while editing budgeting categories to show
    3) Four crashes while just entering numbers into budget
    4) I've been backing up each time I finish a major category's budget numbers
    5) Keep going out of Budget once in a while and back in to see if I've lost budget, so far that is ok but not holding out a lot of hope that Budget won't disappear
    6) NO CLOUD FILES, NO REPLICATION, Excel running in background but that's it. Also left computer on overnight to let any other processes do their thing
    7) Super validation found no problems
    8) Now going through and turning off malware checking for my Quicken data folder/directory just to see if that helps though nervous about doing so

Maybe it's just my file but this is extraordinarily frustrating.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    to mtn_living: I have experienced this problem sporadically x years and now backup very frequently while viewing my budgets to make sure they are present - so I can reassure support that the budget was there in the backup. If I must restore from a backup file which showed the budgets, at least I can inform support that the budget was present on backup, and disappeared with the restore. I backup to my laptop weekly which seems to have no problem (as of yet), same version, same build. In the past, those same files which failed to show the budget on my PC readily reveal the budget on my laptop when that same file is restored.
    Recently, since budgets are present on PC now, I have not closed Quicken x weeks, fearing re-opening will trigger the budgets to disappear.
    I live in the Blue Ridge. Which mountains do you live?
This discussion has been closed.